Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

Forester MBS - Direct Factory Order?

Is it still possible to place an order directly from the factory in Elkhart? We have been to several dealers, they all seem to have their hands full, and believe me, we understand.
We are in no great rush and the idea of ordering exactly what we’d like is appealing. We are interested in the new Forester floor plan 2401T or 2400B.

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

While there are brands you can do that with I am not aware that FR is one of them.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE2MH View Post
Is it still possible to place an order directly from the factory in Elkhart? We have been to several dealers, they all seem to have their hands full, and believe me, we understand.
We are in no great rush and the idea of ordering exactly what we’d like is appealing. We are interested in the new Forester floor plan 2401T or 2400B.
As far as i know, for at least the last 20 years, Forest River has never done factory direct orders. You have to go through a dealer.
Who told you that they did?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
While there are brands you can do that with I am not aware that FR is one of them.
Thank you, Duckogram!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As far as i know, for at least the last 20 years, Forest River has never done factory direct orders. You have to go through a dealer.
Who told you that they did?
Thank you, bikendan. I thought folks were ordering them and were able to tour the factory, back in the day. I guess I’m mistaken.

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #6

I believe that at one time you could order some models through a dealer, and if you wanted you could arrange a factory tour. But not order direct through the factory.

You think the dealers are slammed can you imagine how busy the factories are........... ....... I am hearing ordering can be backed up well into next year.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you, bikendan. I thought folks were ordering them and were able to tour the factory, back in the day. I guess I’m mistaken.
That's possible but not ordering a RV directly from the factory, without it being through a dealer.
When you say "factory direct", that means the consumer themselves, ordering directly from the factory and not through a dealer.
There are a handful of boutique RV manufacturers that allow that, such as Spacecraft RV and Lazy Daze motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #8

I think you may be able to order factory direct from smaller RV manufacturers like Coach House, Phoenix Cruiser, and maybe Nexus, but not Forest River. Foresters are not sold direct to the end user. Based on our recent Sunseeker ordering experience, you can order exactly what you want (within the boundaries of available options and color) but you need to do it through a dealer and wait for your unit to be built. The dealer has an order sheet with option pricing. Price is negotiated with that dealer. The RV will be delivered to and prepped by the ordering dealer.

If a given dealer is unwilling to place an order, try another dealer.

If you tour the factory and see how the RV is actually built, you may decide not to place the order .
Old 09-19-2020, 03:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I believe that at one time you could order some models through a dealer, and if you wanted you could arrange a factory tour. But not order direct through the factory.

You think the dealers are slammed can you imagine how busy the factories are........... ....... I am hearing ordering can be backed up well into next year.....

Yes, many dealers are telling us what’s happening at the factories. It sure isn’t make their job any easier. Unless the perfect RV for us came up, we’re not really in a big rush to get one before spring.
Well, thank you for your input, Oaklevel...have a great weekend!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-19-2020, 03:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I think you may be able to order factory direct from smaller RV manufacturers like Coach House, Phoenix Cruiser, and maybe Nexus, but not Forest River. Foresters are not sold direct to the end user. Based on our recent Sunseeker ordering experience, you can order exactly what you want (within the boundaries of available options and color) but you need to do it through a dealer and wait for your unit to be built. The dealer has an order sheet with option pricing. Price is negotiated with that dealer. The RV will be delivered to and prepped by the ordering dealer.

If a given dealer is unwilling to place an order, try another dealer.

If you tour the factory and see how the RV is actually built, you may decide not to place the order .
It’s funny you said, “If a given dealer is unwilling to place an order, try another dealer”, as we got that impression from one or two we visited or called. Hard times out there right now for many industries. Anyway, we will be patient. I see you have the 2440DS - that’s one of the floor plans we like. Are you happy with it? Our Forester, just over 25’ was the only RV we’ve had that I drove. My husband doesn’t think the extra couple of feet and width will bother me. Two weeks ago, we went to a dealer so we could both test drive a unit your size with the Ford engine. My husband took the wheel first, salesman, in the passenger seat, me buckled in at the dinette; right out of the driveway, the molding across the slide crashed down, hit me on the head and bruised my arm. I was a bit shaken, and I never drove it. So, your last comment hit home!
Thanks much for your comments! Have a good weekend!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-19-2020, 05:22 AM   #11

How about trying to order one from a dealer near the factory? That is what we did when we ordered our unit, I looked and they do carry the Forester line just not sure if they carry the exact one you want.

https://www.internationalrvwholesalers.net/
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
It’s funny you said, “If a given dealer is unwilling to place an order, try another dealer”, as we got that impression from one or two we visited or called. Hard times out there right now for many industries. Anyway, we will be patient. I see you have the 2440DS - that’s one of the floor plans we like. Are you happy with it? Our Forester, just over 25’ was the only RV we’ve had that I drove. My husband doesn’t think the extra couple of feet and width will bother me. Two weeks ago, we went to a dealer so we could both test drive a unit your size with the Ford engine. My husband took the wheel first, salesman, in the passenger seat, me buckled in at the dinette; right out of the driveway, the molding across the slide crashed down, hit me on the head and bruised my arm. I was a bit shaken, and I never drove it. So, your last comment hit home!
Thanks much for your comments! Have a good weekend!
To answer your question about the 2440DS, yes we like the floor plan. We downsized slightly from a 31’ C, but the 27’ 2440DS retained most of the features we had before and checked nearly all of our boxes. The one thing we miss is a full time queen bed, but that is something you often give up when you downsize. I think it is a good 2 person floor plan. The kitchen area and bathroom are large. There is more clothing storage space than we can use. The 182” wheelbase maneuvers well in tight places. Ours has 3000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity.

My wife is happy driving the Ford E-450, but we have not driven a Sprinter to compare. We wanted to go to a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter based MH, but the size and weight carrying capacity was too small for us at this time, so we stayed with the Ford. You mentioned the MBS 2400B. That is also a nice looking, well thought out floor plan. If we got an MBS unit, the 2400B would be our choice.

As for the trim falling on you, I think the build quality of the interior is the same whether it’s a Sunseeker or Forester, and whether it’s an MBS or Ford chassis. We shopped for a year and a half and saw plenty of poorly built units on dealer lots. It’s the way it is.

If you are happy with your present unit and many of the build problems have been worked out, keeping it a while may be your best option.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #13

Three things

Quote:
Maybe there are three things you should never watch being made. The other two are laws and sausages.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Maybe there are three things you should never watch being made. The other two are laws and sausages.
Very true!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
To answer your question about the 2440DS, yes we like the floor plan. We downsized slightly from a 31’ C, but the 27’ 2440DS retained most of the features we had before and checked nearly all of our boxes. The one thing we miss is a full time queen bed, but that is something you often give up when you downsize. I think it is a good 2 person floor plan. The kitchen area and bathroom are large. There is more clothing storage space than we can use. The 182” wheelbase maneuvers well in tight places. Ours has 3000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity.

My wife is happy driving the Ford E-450, but we have not driven a Sprinter to compare. We wanted to go to a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter based MH, but the size and weight carrying capacity was too small for us at this time, so we stayed with the Ford. You mentioned the MBS 2400B. That is also a nice looking, well thought out floor plan. If we got an MBS unit, the 2400B would be our choice.

As for the trim falling on you, I think the build quality of the interior is the same whether it’s a Sunseeker or Forester, and whether it’s an MBS or Ford chassis. We shopped for a year and a half and saw plenty of poorly built units on dealer lots. It’s the way it is.

If you are happy with your present unit and many of the build problems have been worked out, keeping it a while may be your best option.
We really appreciate your taking the time to provide such thoughtful feedback. I hope you don’t mind if I come back at ya with more questions, at some point. BTW, we sold our beautiful fifth wheel and Ford truck last August. It was our idea to hang up camping and do fly/drive trips. Well, now we’re not anxious to fly, eat out and stay in hotels. Who knew?
Mary Ann

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #16

Quote:
We really appreciate your taking the time to provide such thoughtful feedback. I hope you don’t mind if I come back at ya with more questions, at some point. BTW, we sold our beautiful fifth wheel and Ford truck last August. It was our idea to hang up camping and do fly/drive trips. Well, now we’re not anxious to fly, eat out and stay in hotels. Who knew?
Mary Ann
Ask questions anytime. I think we all here like to talk about RVs and camping whenever we can.

I’m with you on the flying, eating out, and even cruises. None of that seems appealing any more. Have fun, whatever you might do.

After reading your history, your login name now makes sense.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Ask questions anytime. I think we all here like to talk about RVs and camping whenever we can.

I’m with you on the flying, eating out, and even cruises. None of that seems appealing any more. Have fun, whatever you might do.

After reading your history, your login name now makes sense.
Hi!
You’re right, we do love to talk about our RV’s! We have been going a little nuts trying to figure out what we want to do!

So, couple more questions:

Do you have auto hydraulic leveling jacks?

We are having a hard time with the bedroom area. My husband uses a CPAP, and most smaller plans don’t have a nightstand or shelf, and the mattress butts right up to the wall. In pictures online, it just seems so close. Is it as tight as it looks?
Thanks for your time...

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 09-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Hi!
You’re right, we do love to talk about our RV’s! We have been going a little nuts trying to figure out what we want to do!

We are having a hard time with the bedroom area. My husband uses a CPAP, and most smaller plans don’t have a nightstand or shelf, and the mattress butts right up to the wall. In pictures online, it just seems so close. Is it as tight as it looks?
Thanks for your time...
Our 2440DS does have auto hydraulic leveling jacks. That was a must-have option on this unit because we grew tired of carrying around and using boards to level our previous class C.

The bed area is tight. The head half section of the split mattress fills the entire movable part of the bed slide out. There are small shelves near the head of the bed that can hold eyeglasses, a clock, or a beverage. There are AC and USB outlets on the bed base on both sides about mid-way head to toe. Even though the 2440 and 2441 (Forester) floorplan pictures show a nightstand next to the aft bedside, there is actually no nightstand there. However there is space on the floor on either side of the bed base. On the aft side, there is probably around 7-8 inches of space on the floor between the bed and the wall.

One thing we like about the 2440DS and 2441DS is that the bed and dinette slides are separate units, unlike the more common full wall slide floorplans. You can just run the dinette slide out for a lunch stop without fiddling with the bed. The separate slides should reduce load on the slide mechanisms vs having one big slide.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks for your time...
Our 2440DS does have hydraulic leveling jacks. That was a must-have on this unit because we grew tired of carrying around and using boards to level our previous class C.

The bed area is tight. The head half lf section of the split mattress fills the entire movable part of the bed slide out. There are small shelves near the head of the bed that can hold eyeglasses, a clock, or a beverage. There are AC and USB outlets on the bed base on both sides about mid-way head to toe. Even though the 2440 and 2441 (Forester) floorplan pictures show a nightstand next to the aft bedside, there is actually no nightstand there. However there is space on the floor on either side of the bed base. On the aft side, there is probably around 7-8 inches of space on the floor between the bed and the wall.

One thing we like about the 2440Ds and 2441DS is the the bed and dinette slides are separate units, unlike the more common full wall slide floorplans. You can just run the dinette slide out for a lunch stop without fiddling with the bed. The separate slides should reduce load on the slide mechanisms vs having one big slide.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #20
Commercial Member

we don't sell directly and strongly recommend working with local dealers. let us know if we can help you find someone local to contact.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, forester