Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #41

I apologize if I’m repeating several other replies but I’m running around getting ready so we can leave again tomorrow!!!! (238 camping days in it so far)
(So I didn’t read the other replies)

OK we have a 2017 Forrester but we would have preferred the Sunseeker just for rocker switches instead of that damn wall brain!!!

I’m not saying the wall brain doesn’t have pluses (like using your phone to do the slide, stabilizers or awning while outside) but you lose the SIMPLICITY of a switch for lights without waking up the brain or opening the app on your phone.

We flat
Love our Forrester, but we’d love it more with wall switches and recliners instead of a dinette!!

Good luck and enjoy!!
BBogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
I apologize if I’m repeating several other replies but I’m running around getting ready so we can leave again tomorrow!!!! (238 camping days in it so far)
(So I didn’t read the other replies)

OK we have a 2017 Forrester but we would have preferred the Sunseeker just for rocker switches instead of that damn wall brain!!!

I’m not saying the wall brain doesn’t have pluses (like using your phone to do the slide, stabilizers or awning while outside) but you lose the SIMPLICITY of a switch for lights without waking up the brain or opening the app on your phone.

We flat
Love our Forrester, but we’d love it more with wall switches and recliners instead of a dinette!!

Good luck and enjoy!!
I did not like having to wait for the OneControl to wake up so I converted all the overhead lights to a manually switched operation. I just leave the OC panel light control for bedroom, kitchen and living area in an “always on” status.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Hey folks,

After a year of research and filtering through all the likes and requirements, I have much more focused and narrowed list of possibilities for a purchase. That combined with what is available here in WA atm really limits my potential.

There are just a few Foresters and Sunseekers up here to chose from. This weekend after a visit to the Jayco site, I went to another place to look at some rigs and was in a Sunseeker with the same floorplan as a Forester I'm interested in. This has the sofa and dinette booth on the same wall on the drivers side slide and a slide for the bedroom.

I like the floorplan, intend to remove the furniture completely and use the slide wall for storage and add some home theater mods to the rig.

I like the looks of the blue or red Forester over the white Sunseeker or white Jayco models. It seems like WA is chalked full of white motorhomes.

The dealership says that the Forester is just an upgrade from the Sunseeker. True or ney?

Can anyone help articulate as to why I would buy one or the other? In terms of features or build quality?

The models I'm looking at are 2018 with low miles and appear in good condition. The dealership states they will do the 231 point inspection etc etc.

https://www.poulsborv.com/2018-fores...er-3011ds.html

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...51S-5011142280

Do you have advice about that process to offer?

Thanks in advance, I hope you will assist in helping me make the best informed decision.

The primary difference in the 2018 and up is a full WIFI control of virtually everything in the Forester. From a touchpad or Cell Phone you can check tanks, start generator, operate slides and exterior awning, turn of the water pump, etc. There is one big disadvantage to this - it is difficult to align the Schwintek slides without a manual switch that you can hold down an extra 5 seconds. The rest of the differences are strictly cosmetic, both inside and outside.

I have a 2018 Forester 24MS. Love the coach and paid a little extra for it because I liked the partial paint on the exterior. If I had to do it again, I'd go with the Sunseeker. I'm a big fan of separate manual switches for every function and system in the coach. They are far easier to troubleshoot.

Richard
Richard Loewenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:38 AM   #44
Senior Gold Member

We purchased the 2019 Sunseeker 3010 and have put about 8,000 miles on it. What ever you buy get rid of the standard Ford front end stabilizer (looks like a door closer) and put on a HD front end stabilizer like the one sold by Roadmaster, it will make handling on various roads and wind conditions so much better. The only thing you have to worry about is sudden heavy wind gusts from the side. Makes handling the class c soooo much better!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Looking at the mfr brochure I see among other things that there are heated holding tanks:

HEATED/ENCLOSED HOLDING TANKS
Heated/enclosed utility station uses warm
air from the furnace to protect tanks and
valves.

Will I need to supplement this with electric heat pads or additional insulation if we get another "snow-pacolypse" up here in WA?

We ordered our Sunseeker with the Arctic Pak since we expected to, and have, camped many times in freezing weather. It has never been needed. The furnace keeps the tanks and drain pipes warm. One time we were fully exposed overnight at 19 degrees with a 20 mph wind. I checked the compartment with the water pump and filter, and the compartment with the holding tank drain, and both were in the 50's. I have never used the Arctic Pak.

A previous sales manager for Forest River Class C's posted on this forum that since FR redesigned the Class C's with the holding tank drains enclosed and heated, they don't need the tank heaters. They only continued to offer it because competitors do and some people think heaters are needed.

By the way, the Arctic Pak does not include a heating pad on the fresh water tank, nor on the holding tank drains or valves. The drains and valves are more likely to freeze than the tanks, so if you use the Arctic Pak and not the furnace, you'd still be vulnerable to freezing.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #46

RV dealers like car and truck dealers will be sitting with over stock on their lots and probably haven't sold much in the past couple of months. In Ontario here the dealers just opened back up but the licence bureau hasn't so they can't plate their vehicles now anyway.

If I was in the market I would be looking for the best deals with the best interest rates otherwise I would be walking!

Depreciation is a killer and low mileage demo units would be it for me.

Their are no reasons to pay a full inflated price for any vehicle now!

Bob Brown

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 3170ds

Haven't been anywhere this year yet!!!
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #47

Our family has purchased five motorhomes over nearly 50 years. Developed some ideas over that time. Make a relatively short list of "must have" features. If this list is too long you will never find one to meet all the criteria. Make a second list of "nice to have" This can be as long as you want. Find all the rigs on the must list. Final decision based on the rig having the most nice items. More systematic and less emotional
Dale Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #48

THANKS for all that valuable insight and advice, much appreciated.

I've been looking for quite a while which is why I'm down to the last 4 or 5 units in WA that are appealing to me. These two have a floor plan which is more optimal for what I want to do. They are both used but not too old. They both have some great add-ons as features.

Yes, the Touch Control House thingy makes me nervous.

That and other things about the GreyHawk makes me think that the Jayco is better for me, between these two units.

Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #49

I would not spend a red cent more for a Forrester over the Sunseeker. They are the same thing with a different paint scheme if you opt for the 10K paintjob. I like my Sunseeker. I also like the Forrester. Do not need the fancy control panel.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #50
Gruber

We Also live in WA. We purchased A 2018 24.5’ Forester from a dealer in Indiana and drove back to Seattle. We saved $14k plus on purchase price vs buying from local dealer. We have had zero problems with unit in the first 10k miles. If I remember correctly, Sunseeker and Forester have different roofs (soft vs hard). Love the Firestone Airride.
Jefrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #51

SunSeekers have the same fiberglass outer roof as the Forrester. Colors outside and inside different and fancy electronics inside the Forrester otherwise the same vehicle build side by side on the same line.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrid View Post
We Also live in WA. We purchased A 2018 24.5’ Forester from a dealer in Indiana and drove back to Seattle. We saved $14k plus on purchase price vs buying from local dealer. We have had zero problems with unit in the first 10k miles. If I remember correctly, Sunseeker and Forester have different roofs (soft vs hard). Love the Firestone Airride.
Do you mean ceiling? The roof would be the same on both brands.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #53

2016 differences between Sunseeker and Forester

We ordered our Forester 2431S (Ford) in February 2016 and we picked it up in September of 2016.

This is what I was told by the Western US Forest River Rep when we were shopping.

What is the difference between the 2016 Sunseeker GTS 2430S and Forester 2431S?
Some extras on Forester - Stir Paint is Bottom half is painted and top half is decals;
Forester is a Sunseeker plus;
Solid surface counter top in forester;
Soft touch vinyl Ceiling - better insulation & easier to clean (hard vinyl in SS); C
edar lined wardrobe closet in bedroom;
Pull out sprayer Faucet head in kitchen;
Ceramic stone back splash (aluminum in SS);
Raised wood refrigerator panel;
Hidden hinges;
Maxx air fan in living room has rain/temp sensor and power dome;
Glass recessed LED lighting;
LED floor lighting;

We couldn't be happier with our rig. They stopped making it after 3 or 4 years -- I'm guessing because they have the same model on a Mercedes Chassis with more external storage space. The problem with the Mercedes is that even though there is more external space to carry more it has a very low Cargo Carrying Capacity so you're likely to be overweight. Insurance company told me that if we were ever in a bad accident they weigh the vehicles and it's a problem if you're overweight -- I don't remember what the insurance company would do.

I didn't want to spend the money on full-body paint thinking it was a waste of money, but it was the only thing my husband really wanted so.... I'm really happy that we spent the extra money. After almost four years it still looks great and it's easier to take care of.

I haven't used the new touch pad controls so I'm not speaking with any experience, but I don't think I'd be at all happy with that. When we go out on the road we like that we "disconnect" and we don't use our cell phones much so I wouldn't want to have it handy to turn a light on. And I don't think I'd want to be fumbling about pressing multiple buttons just to get a light on.
Nookaroos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, sunseeker