Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Forester tail lights

We have a 2018 Forester motorhome with LED tail lights. Has anyone had trouble pulling a trailer and the tail lights failing. I talked with a dealer and he claimed the module that FR uses is cheap and often fails when pulling a trailer. Any experience with this happening ? Do you need LED lights on the trailer to be compatible with the FR system? I am hesitant to pull my boat, especially since the tail lights on the motorhome already have failed and been in for repair. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dumboatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

I have towed trailers (no brakes) and a toad (no brakes)- no issues.
Not sure if you issue is with a brake controller? I do not have one.

No problems with mine except I had one flood out when it was new- poor design on the center reverse light lens that only had 2 screws. Common issue with 1st gen led taillamps they used.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #3

We tow a Jeep behind our 2017 Forester and have not had any problems with the RV LED tail lights. Not sure what module your dealer is talking about, but the RV LED tail lights and the trailer electrical connections are on different circuits. The trailer circuits are on their own fuse and relays found in the fuse box under the hood, the RV tail lights are on different fuses and they don't know that there is a trailer hooked up or not. The trailer tail lights do not need to be LED.

I re-read your post and now am not certain which tail lights are failing, RV or trailer?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #4

Tail lights went out on RV.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

Do you have an electric brake controller for a trailer installed on the MH?
Should be on the bottom of the dash unless it is a factory unit incorporated into the wiring of the chassis.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumboatt2 View Post
Tail lights went out on RV.
OK, here is what happened to our 2017 Forester that caused an RV tail light problem.

First trip out had a problem and found that there was a loose connector, re-seated it and all has been well since. The connector is located along the inside of the frame on the driver side just in front of the rear wheels. It is about 1 inch square with about 5 wires, It feeds the stop, turn, backup and tail lights.

The chassis comes with the connector and wires from the cab installed by Ford and Forest River adds the mating connector and wires to run back to the tail lights installed by Forest River.

Might be worth a try to find it and re-seat it.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #7

Thanks fobagbob. I found the connection and everything looked fine, but good to know that connection is there. No trailer brakes, just lights.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumboatt2 View Post
Thanks fobagbob. I found the connection and everything looked fine, but good to know that connection is there. No trailer brakes, just lights.
Glad you found it, if you have a volt meter you can trouble shoot at that connector next time you have the problem. Ford uses the standard colors going to the connector for the tail light functions:
right turn = green
left turn = yellow
running lights = brown
ground = white
back up = ?

Depending on what is not working, disconnect the connector and check for 12 volts at that pin in the connector half coming from the cab. If there is voltage, check for continuity at the corresponding pin in the connector half going back to the tail lights, could be an open circuit.

Tags
forester, light