Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Fuel Line Broke

OK, less than a 1 yr old Sunseeker with 4500 miles, broke down on the side of the road.

Engine cranks. Doesn't start. Have to pull the key backwards to keep it from cranking.

Towed to Ford dealer via their road side assistance.

Ford dealer diagnoses this morning. Said the fuel line should be a hard plastic fuel line in the rails. Said the fuel line on my vehicle isn't Ford spec & was adjusted to rubber hoses with clamps. Said the fuel going through a rubber hose at 44 PSI is eventually going to blow. Which is what it did.

Ford dealer says not a warranty item as the spec was adjusted. Cost will be $425 in parts & labor to fix.

All I've done on this vehicle mechanically is an oil change at a Ford dealer.

Doesn't seem right on a new vehicle.

I left April at FR a voice message but not really sure what to do here.

Anybody have any ideas to help?

Thanks!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac
OK, less than a 1 yr old Sunseeker with 4500 miles, broke down on the side of the road.

Engine cranks. Doesn't start. Have to pull the key backwards to keep it from cranking.

Towed to Ford dealer via their road side assistance.

Ford dealer diagnoses this morning. Said the fuel line should be a hard plastic fuel line in the rails. Said the fuel line on my vehicle isn't Ford spec & was adjusted to rubber hoses with clamps. Said the fuel going through a rubber hose at 44 PSI is eventually going to blow. Which is what it did.

Ford dealer says not a warranty item as the spec was adjusted. Cost will be $425 in parts & labor to fix.

All I've done on this vehicle mechanically is an oil change at a Ford dealer.

Doesn't seem right on a new vehicle.

I left April at FR a voice message but not really sure what to do here.

Anybody have any ideas to help?

Thanks!
Thats wild why modify imroperly? Thats obviously very dangerous. Why was it attempting to start without key pressure, was that fixed? I think FR will take care of you once they hear this, must be discussion with Ford over fuel line goof.. Couple more repair bills like this you can go to mechanic school!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I would see what April says. We're Ford QVM (Qualified Vehicle Modifier) and Ford's largest RV fleet customer. They send auditors out to review our production processes regularly and make correction where needed. Either they really missed something or here's more to the story. I guess we'll know soon.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Thats wild why modify imroperly? Thats obviously very dangerous. Why was it attempting to start without key pressure, was that fixed? I think FR will take care of you once they hear this, must be discussion with Ford over fuel line goof.. Couple more repair bills like this you can go to mechanic school!
On newer vehicles some of them don't require you to hold the key on. My Chevy work truck is the same way. I just have to barely pump the key let go and it sometimes will keep cranking for a quick second until it starts and I'm not holding key forward. It's all electronic. Just like the gas pedals and throttle body no more cables all by computers and sensors.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Interesting, why would the RV manufacturer change the fuel line? I assume the chassis is delivered with the fuel tank in it's correct position and the fuel line installed. Seems like a major liability issue to change any part from Fords installation of the fuel system.

Sounds to me like the line was damaged during the RV construction phase and someone did a quick repair not knowing Fords specifications. Rubber fuel hose was used for years on older vehicles but the fuel pump pressures where much lower.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

My 2014 is the same way. Ford dealer pointed it out to me on my first service when I pointed out a gasoline order. He said it shouldn't be rubber, but after tightening a fitting the odor improved but still is there. I was supposed to take it to an RV dealer for fix, but I question that as our dealer doesn't do any chassis work.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

This is crazy!! Hope my 2014 dont come off the FR LINE like that. 1st could have been a mishap fix at FR.... but two. ohhhooooo
cyacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Be prepared for some "mishaps". This one is not to concerning to me compared to my roof with spider cracks. My new camper has become a yard ornament in which I get to explain to my friends and family why I can't use it.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

How bad are the cracks? Thought the fiberglass roof was the cats *****. I have been a camper owner for almost 30yrs and had my share of fixing rotted campers (travel trailers,truck campers,motorhomes) from leaks and it sucks...to do it rite. I am a maintenance freak, cause I have seen what water can do on these units. maintaining is the key, and finding these issues early like yours will save your unit from some real problems. Its a good thing you found it, and a sad thing that it is brand new. Stop any water now( temp ) with some eternabond until resolved. Been there and feel your pain. Hope everything is good on mine, but luck don't follow me when it comes to rv's.
cyacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #10

In an effort to not hijack this thread on the fuel lines, and keep the conversation on fuel line issues, I will remain brief and suggest you see my post "roof cracks". Yes, I heard they were great. Yes, I'm sure most are fine, just not the one I got. I will keep the other post updated on the progress.

As far as fuel lines go, I'm shocked that a rubber line can burst. I could see it leaking at fittings, but a burst would be scary. I wonder if that gets extended when the frame conversion takes place. my paperwork says coachmen did the frame work. I would be taking that thing to ford dealership and paying or the fix. I plan to trade my unit, but if I was keeping it I would pay out of pocket to get a proper fuel line.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I asked the production manager on this as soon as I saw it. His response "We do use rubber lines and always have. QVM has never said that was wrong and the fuel line is something that QVM looks at during each inspection."

QVM being Ford.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #12

Since I have a 2013 Forester #3051S on a E450 chassis this fuel-line issue becomes a concern to me.

I just got off the phone with Dometic about my awning. It was damaged during delivery and replaced in April 2013 and is part of the recall.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Commercial Member

I'm not sure why it should be a concern. It's not like we just started using that line. We've been running that for as long as I can remember. Us and the coachmen division. Between the two of use that's over 4,000 Class C's a year. I think if there was an issue, we would know.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #14

it should not be a concern many vehicles use rubber fuel line on fuel injection. the fuel injection hose i looked up was rated from 180 psi to 220 psi 4 times + what your ford tech said for fuel pressure. so if they are using fuel injection hose and it is properly secured and protected from rubbing i say no problem .
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote