Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Furnace never turns off

We were camping in Pennsylvania this weekend and had to use the furnace for the first time on our 2014 3171. I had thought that it would turn off after it heated the motorhome but it never did and we let it run most of the night. Is this normal? Even after turning it below room temp it would never turn off.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Sounds like a roll out switch or thermostat

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodude79 View Post
We were camping in Pennsylvania this weekend and had to use the furnace for the first time on our 2014 3171. I had thought that it would turn off after it heated the motorhome but it never did and we let it run most of the night. Is this normal? Even after turning it below room temp it would never turn off.

If your thermostat is like mine you need to set the fan on auto and then set your setting to furnace, your fan will cut in as needed

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
thevosmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevosmans View Post
If your thermostat is like mine you need to set the fan on auto and then set your setting to furnace, your fan will cut in as needed

X2 its not the heater running 24/7 its the circ fan for the A/C. They wire it that way to circulate the air while the heater is online. Use auto fan setting to bypass the cont. signal. The furnace fan only will run. Seems like you'd be cooking by 1am if the furnace continued to fire!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevosmans View Post

Been there too=see above post-he's right.Gotta be on Auto-then all is well.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #6

thanks i'll take a look again to see if that was it.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #7

New problem. I can get our furnace to turn on but it eventually stops. The only way I can get it to start again is by pulling the fuse and reinserting. This happens at cold outside temps. Does the furnace not work at very cold conditions
Jimrose
jimrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I've been in a unit at 17 degrees Fahrenheit and the furnace worked just fine.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodude79 View Post
What thermostat do you have and where is it located? Maybe I can help....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #10

Furnace issue

We traveling in very cold weather and have a furnace issue. The furnace fan will turn on but the furnace does not always lite. The sometimes the furnace does lite but goes off well before the temp is reached. I checked the propane and have 3/4 tank. We also turned on the stove burners and they will light but the flame slowly lowers and eventually goes off.. Any suggestions?
Jimrose
Old 11-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I don't recall the details, but I seem to think something like this happened and it was two different causes.

1. debris or dust in the line caused the regulator valve to freeze up.
2. Something with a check valve to something, They had to turn off the tank, wait a bit and then open it very slowly.

Or I could be recalling the complete wrong thing...but the 2nd one costs nothing to test.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

thanks to all that commented. I used bcclemens suggestion and it worked
Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #13

Could be flame sensor dirty. Take steel wool or light sanspaper and clean off any black or corrosion. Rhis also no cost. Id this does it easy replacement and not expensive. 2nd is limit switch make sure ALL heat vents open and nothing blocking airflow. Also make sure filter clean. Sounds more like limit than sensor but might as well check both.
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #14

Opps sorry did not read part about stove flame. But never hurts to remind people to check filters.
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Admin needs to add a "squirrel finds a nut" emoji. I was reaching back to the inner reaches of my mind. Almost got lost.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #16

Possibly a bad thermo couple?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #17

There is a way to "reset" the thermostat. We reset ours the first time we used the heat on our 3010 but that was two years ago and unfortunately I don't remember the sequence, perhaps someone could help out.

Chas69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #18

Pull the fuse marked furnace-in the fuse box.Count to 10 and re-install.Done Deal.

Tags
furnace