Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Furnace problem 2014 3010DS

We just got back from a week long Thanksgiving trip and everything went well. The furnace worked well the whole trip. The furnace is a Suburban, not sure the model.

However, the day after we got back I went out to make sure the furnace is working. We live in a cooler climate and I haven't had a chance to winterize yet. I need the furnace to work to keep the water from freezing. However, I tried the furnace and it doesn't seem to come on now. I checked the obvious fuse. I switched it with TV and the tv still worked, but the furnace did not. We have a full propane tank and made sure the stove worked just to make sure the propane seemed to be flowing.

I really think I need a trip to a service center but thought I would post here first ? Any ideas ?

BTW: For now, the weather isn't real cold and I put a portable heater in for now, but it will get cold in the near future, so I do need to do something..

Thanks,

Robert
Old 11-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

Propane turned off?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

On many furnaces, if it fails to light after several attempts it may lockout the flame safety circuit. If you haven't already, turn the thermostat off and back to heat again. This will reset the circuit. Also be sure the thermostat set-point wasn't inadvertently set lower than expected. Any other details about sounds made when you first try to start it would be helpful in troubleshooting.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

There seem to be no sounds at all. It is pretty silent. Normally, once the set point is above the temperature, it takes about 30 seconds and the blowers just start pumping out warm air.

I did try turning the thermostat switch to the off position and let it sit for about and hour, then went out and tried turning it back on. I ran the temp clear up to 95 and it still didn't start.

The manual states there is no (manual) pilot. So, nothing to start there?
I don't know if I can check the propane directly to the furnace, but I did manage to make sure a burner on the stove would light, so I know propane is flowing..
Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

I too have Suburban Furnace issues on my 2012 35' Wildwood. Horrible roaring sound coming from within...

Not looking forward to calling service out, and it is my understanding that Forest River will not warrant the unit since I am the second owner (the first owner passed away shortly after buying it).

Ironically with a car, tv, whatever, no matter how many owners, it is warranted for a period of time.. how does Forest River get away with this, only giving protection to the original owner?
car7236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroll24 View Post
There seem to be no sounds at all. It is pretty silent. Normally, once the set point is above the temperature, it takes about 30 seconds and the blowers just start pumping out warm air.

I did try turning the thermostat switch to the off position and let it sit for about and hour, then went out and tried turning it back on. I ran the temp clear up to 95 and it still didn't start.

The manual states there is no (manual) pilot. So, nothing to start there?
I don't know if I can check the propane directly to the furnace, but I did manage to make sure a burner on the stove would light, so I know propane is flowing..
Most furnaces have electronic ignition so if you can confirm you have 12 volts to the furnace control board you should hear/see the sparking of the ignitor. If not the board is probably bad. If the furnace lights and quickly goes out, the flame sensor may be dirty or has failed. It can be tough to properly diagnose without a multimeter or any experience so you may end up just taking it in.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by car7236 View Post
I too have Suburban Furnace issues on my 2012 35' Wildwood. Horrible roaring sound coming from within...

Not looking forward to calling service out, and it is my understanding that Forest River will not warrant the unit since I am the second owner (the first owner passed away shortly after buying it).

Ironically with a car, tv, whatever, no matter how many owners, it is warranted for a period of time.. how does Forest River get away with this, only giving protection to the original owner?
Obviously, you aren't familiar with how the RV industry works and comparing it to other industries will only be a waste of energy.

no RV manufacturer will honor the factory warranty to a second owner.
Most only offer a one year factory warranty and that's only to the original owner.

So even if one did, it would have expired 2-3 years ago.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Since it is under warranty and a bit cool outside, I really don't want to go pulling the
cover off and checking it out myself. I've made an appointment with a service department for later this week. Will let you know how it goes..

Thx much...

Tags
2014, furnace