Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

G949 Goodyear tire update

So, update on the tire situation. I now have Goodyear G949 tires on the rear both sides. They weigh quite a bit more than the Michelins did and are definetly more beefy on the sidewall. With the Michelins, if the rear of the rig was crooked (one side a bit higher than the other), the low side outside tire would really pooch out. With the Goodyears, no noticeable difference.
I was worried the ride would be stiffer and harsh, but I am happy to report that after 600 miles, I really don't feel any real difference in ride.
I purchased them at WalMart for $315 each and had Tire Kingdom install them on the rims and I installed the wheels on the rig.
I'll report back occasionally to update the story.

BTW, these are installed on a 2014 3100 Sunseeker. Back story is that the one of the rear factory Michelin had tread separation at 4 years and 21,000 miles.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Newest update: got the Goodyear G949's installed on the front. So, we have matching tires all around. We're heading out on a trip soon and I'll update how the handling and ride goes with them on the front. I did weigh the Goodyears in at 50 lbs.. The Michelin LTX's are 40 lbs.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Will be waiting to hear the road test results. I’m following this thread.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

For what it is worth, I replaced my tires on my 3170DSF last May with the Michelin XPS commercial tire. We are currently on a retirement trip and with 1800 miles on the tires, I can not complain. Like the Goodyear, they have a stiffer sidewalk, all steel and are recapable. So far, absolutely no issues. They ride well in the rain and are quite.
Action is correct. There is a 10lb per tire increase on these commercial tires.
I will post if I have any issues.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Goodyears vs Mich’s

Hey- I have a new set of 6 Michelin Defenders on my Solera 24S/load range E
And they seem to be great riders, thus far. In fact, hit giant potholes in Indianapolis which blew off the RR simulator and pulled the valve stems with them. Rode them for a mile until both RR duallies lost ttl air. However the tires survived and now have solid valve stems bolted into the wheel and no more braided crap. BTW, does anybody use the Goodrich RunFlats on their RV? Recommended?? Would like to know re the safety aspects of RunFlats...comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FAC3433-1438-4134-8BB3-D01137A8384A.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	184448  
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

Took a 200 mile trip with the Goodyear 949's on the front. They worked good with a little stiffer, firmer ride compared to the Michelins. On an irregular, rough road surface, they did make more road noise. It did rain but did not notice any driving/handling difference. Overall, I am pleased that the tire works well on the rig. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in the future. IMO, those Michelins are not up to the task of safely carrying the load that a fully loaded 30+ Class C carries. Peace of mind is well worth the additional cost of these (or any suitable) commercial tire.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the updates.
3 years and 15k on my Generals. I am already shopping for new ones.
If I get a solid 2 more years on the Generals, I may use them again. I do love Goodyears but they are pricey.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #8

ActionJackson theatre

You have my attentsion also. 21k on factory 2013 16" generals here. Will replace next spring before a run west. Been happy thus far with gens, but these comm tires you have may be the ticket.

As a side note I just had the four 20" michs replaced on the f150 under recall, were mounted back in 13 now with 48k on them. No one, dealer or mich contacted me, just stumbled in to finding the recall data. Check your tire dot status each yr folks!

So, what variables moved you to these dougnuts? Still running 65 front, 80 rear?

Please post often, even to say ditto as many folk are also about to lay down a big $$ bet.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

With about 20,000 miles on the original Generals, I started getting some steering wheel shake, particularly when accelerating. The tire shop checked them and found tread seperation on both front tires.

I replaced them with Firestone Transforce tires. Have put about 6,000 mi on them and like them. I'll be replacing the rears with the same brand and model before we leave home for the winter.

I'm kind of disappointed that the Generals failed since Ive been using that brand with great successs on our cars.

I'm interested to see how the Goodyears work out. Maybe that will be my next tire.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

My wife always complains that I am always buying either tires or batteries.
TOO MANY TOYS ! NOT !

Tags
tire