Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Gas mileage on first trip

We did our first trip in our new Forrester 2291S, and over 3500km we averaged 24.88 liters/100km or 9.45 miles per US Gallon.


What mileage do others get? The trip was through southern BC Canada so almost all mountainous terrain.


Thanks
__________________

Mstanlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
DaLexusGuy
 
LeoS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 93
after 6000 miles...

...I get a predictable and consistent 9.6-9.7 MPG running 63-64 mph on the freeway with my 30ft. Forester (E450 chassis V10)

However, on those instances when our cat travels with us, I am told that I MUST run the generator and the house AC because apparently the CAT has told my wife that 75 degree heat and humidity levels above 50 percent are not acceptable.

This drops the MPG down to 9.1 MPG. The CAT doesn't seem to be at all concerned about needing to reimburse me for her portion of the fuel bill (I will update this post if that changes).
__________________

LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 731
IMHO calculating gas mileage for RVing is a fools errand.

Everyone already knows the numbers are awful, but we are going to go hit the road anyway, so it really makes no difference.
__________________
TV - 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 8.1 liter (496ci), 4L85e & positraction with 3.73 gears
TT - 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 3130 QBS
Drinks of choice: woodford reserve, knob creek & any great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer and Pabst Blue Ribbon
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,390
The cat would be sol. What about the animals outside?
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Member
 
joel ritchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Salisbury N.C.
Posts: 72
Gas mileage

I have a 3011ds Forester and pulling a Honda CR-V. I get around 8.5.down to 7.
joel ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
IMHO calculating gas mileage for RVing is a fools errand.

Everyone already knows the numbers are awful, but we are going to go hit the road anyway, so it really makes no difference.
I disagree, calculating MPG to find the best compromise between cruising speed and fuel economy is a very good idea because it can end up saving a bit of money. Saying it's going to be expensive doesn't mean it can't be made less expensive.

For example, the difference in fuel economy between 60MPH and 70MPH is substantial. If I cruise at 60MPH then I get roughly 50% better fuel economy than if I cruise at 70MPH (~9mpg vs ~14mpg).

At $2.80/gal and 500 miles per day...

70MPH = $156/day in fuel
60MPH = $100/day in fuel

That's a family dinner every day that is "free" just by slowing down.

500 miles @ 70MPH = 7h8m travel time
500 miles @ 60MPH = 8h20m travel time

So it takes me 1h12m longer to go 500 miles in a day, I think that's worth it. Basically paying myself $46.66/hr for that time because of the money saved in fuel.

Now, if getting somewhere sooner is more important than potentially saving a decent amount of money that's fine, but hardly a fool's errand.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Fuel Consumption on a 2291 Forester.

Your consumption is good. Wind, speed, traffic conditions, and road conditions caused large variations on daily fuel consumption rates but over a 5 month trip across North America in 2018 driving a similar model Sunseeker, in 21,432 kms (13,395miles), I averaged just slightly less than 25L/100km
ALLANB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I disagree, calculating MPG to find the best compromise between cruising speed and fuel economy is a very good idea because it can end up saving a bit of money. Saying it's going to be expensive doesn't mean it can't be made less expensive.

For example, the difference in fuel economy between 60MPH and 70MPH is substantial. If I cruise at 60MPH then I get roughly 50% better fuel economy than if I cruise at 70MPH (~9mpg vs ~14mpg).

At $2.80/gal and 500 miles per day...

70MPH = $156/day in fuel
60MPH = $100/day in fuel

That's a family dinner every day that is "free" just by slowing down.

500 miles @ 70MPH = 7h8m travel time
500 miles @ 60MPH = 8h20m travel time

So it takes me 1h12m longer to go 500 miles in a day, I think that's worth it. Basically paying myself $46.66/hr for that time because of the money saved in fuel.

Now, if getting somewhere sooner is more important than potentially saving a decent amount of money that's fine, but hardly a fool's errand.

Completely agree; well said and well illustrated.

I’ll like to add- the “slowing down to smell the roses” and the safety factor is priceless... the much less stress level is evidence...
CyclePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
But do you have to divide the money you're paying yourself in fuel savings by the number of people in your RV? If you are traveling with 4 people, maybe you're only making minimum wage. Hahaha
Tom Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
KEN9XL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 328
I have a Travel Trailer - 2017 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL
Towed with a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4WD pick up truck.

Traveled mid April to 3rd week in May round trip Massachusetts to Georgia (2400 - 2500 miles) and average 9.8 - 10.2 MPG. Driving was mainly highways, so that would make a difference. Stayed awhile in Georgia.
__________________
Ken & Marie
2017 Heritage Glen 272RL - 34' 4" hitch to bumper (UVW 7294 lbs / hitch 845 lbs)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (4wd w/tow pkg) 5.3 litre V8 engine, payload at 1726lbs with rear axle ratio at 3.42, & 9200 lb tow capacity
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
FORKLIFMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: California SF Bay Area
Posts: 163
My Motor home, has the Triton V-10 motor, Just bought it last year, first couple trips I got 4 or less miles to the gallon. So now I watch the RPM gauge more and try to maintain about 2800 RPMs, and thus far. I am almost ,doubling to 7.5 miles to the Gallon. Most of our trips have been dealing with up and down altitude traveling, which is adding to the consumption of fuel.... This summer I plan to do better. My goal is to get 10 or more, miles to the gallon, because our Great State of CA,is charging an average of $4.25 a gallon!!!!!Which is a joke! The politicians raise the taxes to fix our horrible roads, but for some reason the money always gets spent else where, We have some of the worst roads in the union. I haven't drove to Alaska yet, I bet that highway is far better than some of freeways!

Curious to hear what other Triton v-10 drivers' get for MPG average?

Cheers
__________________
FORKLIFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
Multi-Slacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,777
In order to do 70 (or more) one has to be on an Interstate or equally major road. Pounding down an Interstate is no way to see the sights which is why we travel. Sometimes it cannot be avoided but even then we choose to slow down to wherever the "sweet" spot is, which for our current combination is low 60s, We try to pick lesser traveled roads that will still get us there in what we consider to be a reasonable time and see more of the country and "Americana."

Was talking to a crotchety old RV salesman and he opined that it did not matter what you drove, it was going to get 8 mpg. Not too far from the mark, even today.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sonoma 280RKS
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
My Motor home, has the Triton V-10 motor, Just bought it last year, first couple trips I got 4 or less miles to the gallon. So now I watch the RPM gauge more and try to maintain about 2800 RPMs, and thus far. I am almost ,doubling to 7.5 miles to the Gallon. Most of our trips have been dealing with up and down altitude traveling, which is adding to the consumption of fuel.... This summer I plan to do better. My goal is to get 10 or more, miles to the gallon, because our Great State of CA,is charging an average of $4.25 a gallon!!!!!Which is a joke! The politicians raise the taxes to fix our horrible roads, but for some reason the money always gets spent else where, We have some of the worst roads in the union. I haven't drove to Alaska yet, I bet that highway is far better than some of freeways!

Curious to hear what other Triton v-10 drivers' get for MPG average?

Cheers
I get about the same, maybe a bit better. I am towing a Honda CRV and it really doesn't make a lot of difference towing or not, maybe 1.5 mpg. I would say the original poster is doing very good. The trick is to drive like you have an egg between you foot and the accelerator, especially when starting from stop.

Question is, why in my travels down to Yuma and back home to British Columbia every year am I always in a headwind?. This year coming home I actually wanted to turn around at Parker and drive the opposite way to experience a tailwind. I know, I am exaggerating, seems that way though.

By the way, if you go through BC on your way to Alaska be prepared to spend upwards of CAN $5.50 - $6.00/ US gal for gas. Of course your dollar is much higher than ours so you would be looking at about US $4.00/ gal.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
In order to do 70 (or more) one has to be on an Interstate or equally major road. Pounding down an Interstate is no way to see the sights which is why we travel. Sometimes it cannot be avoided but even then we choose to slow down to wherever the "sweet" spot is, which for our current combination is low 60s, We try to pick lesser traveled roads that will still get us there in what we consider to be a reasonable time and see more of the country and "Americana."

Was talking to a crotchety old RV salesman and he opined that it did not matter what you drove, it was going to get 8 mpg. Not too far from the mark, even today.
If on a freeway I usually try to find a speed restricted truck to follow and just tuck in behind him and match his speed going up hills. On single lane roads I keep speed around 60 - 65 and always do my best to allow faster following vehicles the opportunity to pass. We try to pick what we refer to as the lesser travelled roads also.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
jkoenig24
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Box Elder, SD (formerly NY)
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
...I get a predictable and consistent 9.6-9.7 MPG running 63-64 mph on the freeway with my 30ft. Forester (E450 chassis V10)

However, on those instances when our cat travels with us, I am told that I MUST run the generator and the house AC because apparently the CAT has told my wife that 75 degree heat and humidity levels above 50 percent are not acceptable.

This drops the MPG down to 9.1 MPG. The CAT doesn't seem to be at all concerned about needing to reimburse me for her portion of the fuel bill (I will update this post if that changes).
What men have to do for a little pussy...........
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Dennys67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
...I get a predictable and consistent 9.6-9.7 MPG running 63-64 mph on the freeway with my 30ft. Forester (E450 chassis V10)

However, on those instances when our cat travels with us, I am told that I MUST run the generator and the house AC because apparently the CAT has told my wife that 75 degree heat and humidity levels above 50 percent are not acceptable.

This drops the MPG down to 9.1 MPG. The CAT doesn't seem to be at all concerned about needing to reimburse me for her portion of the fuel bill (I will update this post if that changes).
Our cat rules the roost, so I echo your sentiments.
Dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. We travel with friends and their two Bengal cats, can’t wait to tell them.
Mstanlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:55 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
We have 2019 2291S with 13000 miles on it have been using the cheapest fuel we can find and getting 7-8 mpg . Driving 60 mph pulling a 97 Geo Tracker . Changed to using Chevron fuel past three tank loads and getting 11.7 last fill up . The rig is under weight on GVW and CVW . See weight sheet . Use Mobile 1 oil changed every 3k.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2845.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	205673
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Motorhome weight

Same motorhome as us, but you must carry a bit more stuff. When it was weighed, were the driver and passenger in the vehicle?


Our front end with the two of us in it is 130 pounds heavier but the rear axle is 550 pounds lighter with 3/4 water and full fuel and propane. Empty grey and black.



11.7 is amazing fuel economy.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
We have 2019 2291S with 13000 miles on it have been using the cheapest fuel we can find and getting 7-8 mpg . Driving 60 mph pulling a 97 Geo Tracker . Changed to using Chevron fuel past three tank loads and getting 11.7 last fill up . The rig is under weight on GVW and CVW . See weight sheet . Use Mobile 1 oil changed every 3k.Attachment 205673
Mstanlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
Weight was road ready with both passengers and a puppy. We are full timers so everything we own is in it .
Extras on coach are three solar panels on roof , two golf cart battery’s in rear basement and an onboard air system.
__________________

Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first trip, forester, gas, mileage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


×