RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 144
I drove that way on my way to Michigan. We drove over the grand escandle staircase in Utah and it topped out at about 9800', no problems.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
I drove that way on my way to Michigan. We drove over the grand escandle staircase in Utah and it topped out at about 9800', no problems.
Were you towing?

I think the highest we got on our way home was about 6500' between Billings and Missoula MT. Our Forester really revved up and did a great job. Don't know what the max RPMs are with the V10, but ours kicked up to about 5000.
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #23
Member
 
sdgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 67
Hi Jim,

Congrats on your purchase! I also went the RVW route and they were great to deal with. Don't worry about the revs, this V10 and trans combo does a great job on hills. If you haven't turned on the tow/haul mode, it works great. I went over Vail Pass (10,666) and through the Eisenhower tunnel (11,158) on our return trip and barely tapped the brakes.

Hope to get up your way this summer. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Scott
__________________
2016 Forester 2861DS
2006 Jeep Liberty
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORvideoguy View Post
I agree with the statement about getting an alignment. Our 2015 3011 had a lot of slop in the steering all the time and wandered all over the place when towing our Dodge Durango until we had an alignment.

Start with that and then drive it, you may find that's enough. So far it has been for me.

I noticed that you're from Eugene. I'm a fellow Forester owner in the area over here in Springfield and we bought from RVW. So far so good for us with purchase and help getting service after the sale. We had our warranty work done at Carrier RV Service and they were great. They also arranged for the alignment to be done by a local alignment shop while they had it in for warranty work. I don't know the name of the place but I'm sure they could tell you if you called them.

Good luck and have fun!!
We are planning to take our 3051 to Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene, now that we're home. They do a lot of motorhomes and are the best around this area. Also will have them install a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and hope between that and the alignment the steering & handling will be much better. Does Carrier RV do all type of RV service and are they located in Springfield? It was pretty hairy driving down the Columbia Gorge with the strong crosswinds.
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central, Fl.
Posts: 1,305
Good to read you made it home safely !

Congradulations again on your new MH !
__________________
2018 Forester 3011DS (Purchased 04/26/17)
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Wheel alignment..way off!

After towing our Honda CR-V from Ohio to Oregon, we discovered that the steering seemed to be all over the place on the CR-V. We took it in to the Honda dealer and they said that the front alignment was quite a ways off and also one rear wheel was out of line. Having towed it over 2500 miles on some of the worst Interstates in the country, mostly in the midwest, I asked them if that could have caused it. They said that yes it could have. I'm not wanting to pay for an alignment after every trip, but don't think I can avoid all the rough roads.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so, what do you do to avoid it?
Our Honda and I would really appreciate any help
Thanks
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 144
I just returned from 5 weeks on the road with my 3051. The only problem I had was on the next to last campground. I was retracting my levelers, hit the retract button ( Big Foot ) and the jacks came up all the way but the all up light never came on, but all jacks were fully up. I crawled under and saw that the steel rod that the foot hits to show all are up had been bent. The jacks still work but I had to drive almost 700 miles with warning buzzer sounding, what a pain.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
I just returned from 5 weeks on the road with my 3051. The only problem I had was on the next to last campground. I was retracting my levelers, hit the retract button ( Big Foot ) and the jacks came up all the way but the all up light never came on, but all jacks were fully up. I crawled under and saw that the steel rod that the foot hits to show all are up had been bent. The jacks still work but I had to drive almost 700 miles with warning buzzer sounding, what a pain.
Seems when the foot hits something and turns, it tweaks the pin. I saw them at the local hardware stores I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	109875  
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
HopHed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Seems when the foot hits something and turns, it tweaks the pin. I saw them at the local hardware stores I think.
I have had the same issue. Had the pin replaced once by dealer. As Sage says if the foot scrapes it will twist and bend the pin. Mine scrape going in and out of driveway so working on something to keep it from scraping. Currently have bent pin now. Have found replacements at DIY centers for .95 each. Easy to replace but have to cut pin at bottom to get out as when bent can not push it up past the sleeve it is in.
As a temp fix when the jacks are retracted you can push pin up slightly to activate the limit switch and push some paper(or something about 1/8") under the pin to keep the switch activated.
__________________
1978 Ford Rollalong
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29V
2016 Forester 2861DS (11-13-15)
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
I have had the same issue. Had the pin replaced once by dealer. As Sage says if the foot scrapes it will twist and bend the pin. Mine scrape going in and out of driveway so working on something to keep it from scraping. Currently have bent pin now. Have found replacements at DIY centers for .95 each. Easy to replace but have to cut pin at bottom to get out as when bent can not push it up past the sleeve it is in.
As a temp fix when the jacks are retracted you can push pin up slightly to activate the limit switch and push some paper(or something about 1/8") under the pin to keep the switch activated.
Thanks HopHed- Good trick to know. I couldn't drive 2 blocks with that alarm going.
Read somewhere, about the plastic cap in the photo. Maybe there's less friction so they won't bend. But mine aren't level when looking at the feet and any striking of the feet will surely bend them.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
After towing our Honda CR-V from Ohio to Oregon, we discovered that the steering seemed to be all over the place on the CR-V. We took it in to the Honda dealer and they said that the front alignment was quite a ways off and also one rear wheel was out of line. Having towed it over 2500 miles on some of the worst Interstates in the country, mostly in the midwest, I asked them if that could have caused it. They said that yes it could have. I'm not wanting to pay for an alignment after every trip, but don't think I can avoid all the rough roads.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so, what do you do to avoid it?
Our Honda and I would really appreciate any help
Thanks
Anyone else have alignment problems on their toad?
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:35 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
We are planning to take our 3051 to Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene, now that we're home. They do a lot of motorhomes and are the best around this area. Also will have them install a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and hope between that and the alignment the steering & handling will be much better. Does Carrier RV do all type of RV service and are they located in Springfield? It was pretty hairy driving down the Columbia Gorge with the strong crosswinds.

Carrier RV is on airport road in Eugene right off of 99. I think it used to be called Carrier and Sons RV Service.

They were the place that RV Wholesalers said was part of their service network in the area when I purchased from them. Then when I called to request warranty work RV Wholesalers said I could take it to Camping World and they would take care of the work. Because of mixed reviews I've seen of Camping World service I asked if I could use Carrier RV since that's who I was told was part of the service network. They had to call and confirm that they would do warranty work but I was able to take it there and they fixed everything we had an issue with.
__________________
2015 Forest River Forester 3011 DS - 2007 Dodge Durango Toad
ORvideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #33
DW's 401(k) Plan
 
DaGrinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western MD
Posts: 2,355
I've been watching this thread since the beginning, since my Sunseeker is close to the Forster 3051S. While I haven't had the pleasure of doing a long trip, most of mine being no more than 200 miles round-trip, I have found one thing in common; the steering wanders all over. After reading some posts, and communicating with a fellow Sunseeker owner, I replaced the so-called factory steering dampener with the Roadmaster RSSC. Installed it myself and it has greatly improved the handling of "Sunny". Made a couple of other suspension modifications and, boy what a difference. I am going to get the front end aligned some time in the near future, but want things to settle in after some more miles.
Sorry to hear about the quality control issues when you picked up your unit. I had a couple very minor issues, but my dealer is taking care of things.
__________________

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Our Forester "Farley" is going in this coming week to Camping World for some warranty issues. We discovered in addition to the scratches on the kitchen solid surface countertop, a long scratch on the dinette top, a scratch on the mirror in the vanity area and multiple scratches on the face of the mjicrowave/convection oven. Don't know who they had doing the interior assembly work at the factory on our unit, but they obviously didn't care what they were doing.
On the last night on our trip home, we pulled into the RV site, put down the Bigfoot levelers, which didn't sound quite right, then started to extend the slide. About halfway out, the kitchen cabinet under the cooktop area started rubbing on the floor step-up area that goes into the bedroom area. Looked like it was going to pull the face off the cabinet, so I stopped and put the slide back in. Retracted the Bigfoots, and tried again...same result. Put the slide back in and spent the night with the slide in and the Bigfoots retracted. A tight squeeze to get around!!
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem?
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 526
We have the same unit. And have had none of the issues you've mentioned. Best of luck. Why Camping World??
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
benagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I've been watching this thread since the beginning, since my Sunseeker is close to the Forster 3051S. While I haven't had the pleasure of doing a long trip, most of mine being no more than 200 miles round-trip, I have found one thing in common; the steering wanders all over. After reading some posts, and communicating with a fellow Sunseeker owner, I replaced the so-called factory steering dampener with the Roadmaster RSSC. Installed it myself and it has greatly improved the handling of "Sunny". Made a couple of other suspension modifications and, boy what a difference. I am going to get the front end aligned some time in the near future, but want things to settle in after some more miles.
Sorry to hear about the quality control issues when you picked up your unit. I had a couple very minor issues, but my dealer is taking care of things.

What other suspension mods did you do?
__________________
1968 tent trailer
1985 Jamboree 23 ft
1997 Minnie Winnie 25 Ft
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
We have the same unit. And have had none of the issues you've mentioned. Best of luck. Why Camping World??
That is where RV Wholesalers directed us to. They contacted them and made arrangements and CW was only about 2 weeks out to get us in. The other choice in our area, Sutton RV, was about 3 or more weeks and they seem to be more of a towable RV dealer, with a smaller service dept. We'll see what happens.
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Mileage update

OK, I just figured out our mileage on the trip home from Ohio. Drove 2863 miles and averaged 7.9 mpg. We were towing our Honda CR-V and going over the Rocky Mtns and Cascade Mtns to get home. I was hoping for 8.0 mpg, so I don't think we did too bad...I'm happy ! Tried to hold it to 61-65 mph, since Honda says not to tow over 65.
How's that compare with everyone else?
__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Wandering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
OK, I just figured out our mileage on the trip home from Ohio. Drove 2863 miles and averaged 7.9 mpg. We were towing our Honda CR-V and going over the Rocky Mtns and Cascade Mtns to get home. I was hoping for 8.0 mpg, so I don't think we did too bad...I'm happy ! Tried to hold it to 61-65 mph, since Honda says not to tow over 65.
How's that compare with everyone else?


Wow. I'm kinda jealous I struggle to get to 8 without my toad. Once I hook up the toad it is closer to 7 or below. I drive a little faster maybe 70 but it doesn't seem to make much difference for my camper and it is smaller 27'.

Fun camping regardless!


Forester 2451s
__________________
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 14
Put air in the rear air lifts. You will be surprised how it will stabilize the front end.
Lifts rear and puts more weight to the front. I run about 60 to 70 psi.
Beachfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
305, forester

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.