Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 09:18 PM   #21

Update: adjuster came out on Tuesday. There was frame damage as well as sidewall and rear wall damage and rears storage compartment damage. The leveling jacks did not work properly. Waiting for them to get back to me weather it is a repair or a total. Will keep you all posted.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFAMof6 View Post
Update: adjuster came out on Tuesday. There was frame damage as well as sidewall and rear wall damage and rears storage compartment damage. The leveling jacks did not work properly. Waiting for them to get back to me weather it is a repair or a total. Will keep you all posted.
Thanks for letting us know. It's amazing how much 'hidden damage' an accident can do to any vehicle.
I don't know if we should hope they total it or will repair it. Either one is going to ruin the rest of the camping season for you. Repairs are taking forever and finding a replacement rig (old or new) is going to be a challenge.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Thanks for letting us know. It's amazing how much 'hidden damage' an accident can do to any vehicle.

I don't know if we should hope they total it or will repair it. Either one is going to ruin the rest of the camping season for you. Repairs are taking forever and finding a replacement rig (old or new) is going to be a challenge.

I know. But with frame damage kinda hoping they total it. Even if they can “straighten” it. There will always be some bend in it and a weak spot in the frame. So we shall see.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #24

Update:
Insurance adjuster quotes about $20k in repairs for the unit. But with frame damage I don’t know if that’s accurate. I am taking to the auto body shop 9/22. I’ll keep you all posted on what they say.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #25

Another update:

Unit has been at the Rv body shop for a month. Still won’t get to it for another 2 weeks. Will see what the ultimate damage is when they start tearing it apart to start the repair. Will keep you updated.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #26

20 grand seems like a lot of money but I recently had some door damage done by a tire shop that cost over 6 grand to repair. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up quite a bit more. It took from May to October to get parts for my repair. Hope yours goes better than mine.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
20 grand seems like a lot of money but I recently had some door damage done by a tire shop that cost over 6 grand to repair. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up quite a bit more. It took from May to October to get parts for my repair. Hope yours goes better than mine.

Thanks. From your mouth to the Rv gods ears!
Old 10-30-2022, 02:43 PM   #28

I can recommend a pretty good shop in Missouri. Pricey but nice work.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #29

Update:
Finally heard from the shop. $31000 in damages. They are going to fix it as the insurance company is not totaling it. Don’t know when I’ll get the unit back. They are “still waiting on some parts”.

I’ll keep you all updated.

Have a great holiday season and a happy and healthy new year!
Old 12-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #30

Thanks so much for taking time to share the updates. While many of us are saddened by what you’re experiencing, it is enlightening and may prove beneficial to others who heaven-forbid, experience a similar incident in the future.

Mr. Brian
Old 12-29-2022, 11:47 PM   #31
law

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFAMof6 View Post
Update:
Finally heard from the shop. $31000 in damages. They are going to fix it as the insurance company is not totaling it. Don’t know when I’ll get the unit back. They are “still waiting on some parts”.

I’ll keep you all updated.

Have a great holiday season and a happy and healthy new year!
I've been following your posts. I lost a toad two years ago. The insurance company was going to repair the toad but finally totaled it. One thing I learned from the experience is that once a vehicle is damaged, the resell value is diminished. I am not in the insurance business so do some research. I suggest you look into filing a claim for diminished value.
I wish you the best and I hope the New Year brings better things for you.
LS
Old 12-30-2022, 12:22 AM   #32

certainly happy that everyone is OK

BUT people should be aware that positing information like this on any social media
while there is an active insurance claim
can and has been used against people by the insurance companies involved.

Facebook ... is routinely checked by investigators (much easier to work out if a person has a facebook account ... found old friends on facebook from 45years ago!

on this forum the odds of getting spotted is much less , but you never know!

Always safer to wait until the entire claim is finalized before adding any social media comments
Old 12-31-2022, 12:39 AM   #33
Retired Old Guy

In my Silverado I have 2 dashcams, one pointing out the front and the other out the rear window. When towing my 5th wheel I take the one from the rear window and put it in the rear window of the trailer just for situations like this!
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
In my Silverado I have 2 dashcams, one pointing out the front and the other out the rear window. When towing my 5th wheel I take the one from the rear window and put it in the rear window of the trailer just for situations like this!
This is a motorhome. Getting a picture of that portion of the motorhome would probably be difficult.

To the OP, the good news is that your Sunseeker is worth more than $31,000.
Hope they get the parts soon and you can get back on the road.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:51 AM   #35
Retired Old Guy

Quote:
This is a motorhome. Getting a picture of that portion of the motorhome would probably be difficult.

I realize that every motorhome/trailer/RV does not have a window in the back. I was not saying this is what the OP should have been doing. I just wanted to share what I do to protect myself from the situation the OP was in and may help others that haven’t thought about it.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:03 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:

The motorhome in the OP's picture has a rear window where a dashcam could be placed.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
The motorhome in the OP's picture has a rear window where a dashcam could be placed.
I understand. However the OP said that "I think he was in the middle lane and lost control or distracted and hit me coming on an angle."
A camera mounted on the side mirror might have caught that move, but a camera in the rear window might not be able to capture it. A friend had a dashcam mounted on the dashboard of his class C. Someone entering the freeway hit him from the side and it was in an area that the camera couldn't 'see'.
Guess we'll never know for sure. It couldn't hurt to mount one back there.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:24 PM   #38

Definitely looking into mounting a rear and front camera.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:27 PM   #39

Update
They tell me my Rv will be ready this week with repairs done. I also have a call into my insurance for a diminished value claim. I’ll let u all know how that goes.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:41 PM   #40

Update
Still don’t have my unit back from the shop. Did a few finished value inquiries. One company said they wouldn’t Perdue because I live in NY

My insurance company said that the other driver’s insurance company would not pay out because he “hit the limit on insurance payout”. So i don’t know where to go from here regarding the diminished value claim.