Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Commercial Member

PS. We had talked about an in floor safe in that area as an option, I know some trailer guys have it. But we just never got around to it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I use a fingerprint safe bolted down, but only for hand guns. I think a rifle size unit would add too much weight to the unit. I think a recessed lid about an inch down (to accommodate a lock if you so desired) would work great. You have to diamond plate it though. It just looks cooler. Definitely diamond plate.
By fingerprint are you referring to a biometric? I think that's good idea. I haven't looked into those very close but now I might. Pretty sure Bass pro and cabelas will put them on sale for Christmas......... Hmmm
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Yes Biometric...but I'm not a morning person, so I don't pull out the big words until noon

I've heard people say there are ways to fool them, but frankly if someone takes the time they can get into anything they want. I've been happy with it...when its dark I can feel around, and its quick. No 4 digit code to forget.

My only complaint, I turn the "beep" off to be stealthy. So one night I hear something, don't want to disturb the wife. Open the safe, grab the gun head downstairs. A minute later the thing is beeping like crazy. "Safe door open alert" so much for stealth.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
Resident Masshole

I use the key pad model gunvault for my pistol. Its size is convenient to move back and forth from the bedside nightstand to my truck or the camper. The Roo does not quite have the room to do much else:

HomeSafetyStore - GunVault: MV Series MicroVault, Standard Digital or Biometric
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Yes Biometric...but I'm not a morning person, so I don't pull out the big words until noon

I've heard people say there are ways to fool them, but frankly if someone takes the time they can get into anything they want. I've been happy with it...when its dark I can feel around, and its quick. No 4 digit code to forget.

My only complaint, I turn the "beep" off to be stealthy. So one night I hear something, don't want to disturb the wife. Open the safe, grab the gun head downstairs. A minute later the thing is beeping like crazy. "Safe door open alert" so much for stealth.
Lol got ya. I will look into it ! And your right if they want your stuff bad enough it's gone. This will be at the top of my mod list now
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
Thats why I am using the "under the bed" storage compartment as the "safe" ... it's the last place anyone will look. There is an alarm on the RV so if someone breaks in they will be limited on time. I don't plan on adding any armor or plating. The location itself is secure because no one will think of lifting up the mattress to access a compartment. A simple pad lock will work.
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrock View Post
Thats why I am using the "under the bed" storage compartment as the "safe" ... it's the last place anyone will look. There is an alarm on the RV so if someone breaks in they will be limited on time. I don't plan on adding any armor or plating. The location itself is secure because no one will think of lifting up the mattress to access a compartment. A simple pad lock will work.

It's really nice mod Chris but come on man, Tons of people hide stuff under their mattresses.

Just messin with you. If I had a bed like that I would be doing the same thing.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964 View Post
Have this mounted in the back or our toy hauler. Our camper is on a seasonal site, and we have a shooting club there, with a shoot of some sort every Sat from Apr-Nov, so I usually have at least a shotgun and ammo there. It was dual purpose for me, as the TV hookups are located in the ceiling above the gun cabinet. I built a shelf for the top, and the TV sets there perfect!
Looks nice - one question/comment - I realize you store your long guns in there,but doesn't that gun safe just yell out to a burglar that it's a gun safe?

Most posts here talk about securing their weapon (s) in a secure hidden place and your safe is right in the open.

Just wondering.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Looks nice - one question/comment - I realize you store your long guns in there,but doesn't that gun safe just yell out to a burglar that it's a gun safe?

Most posts here talk about securing their weapon (s) in a secure hidden place and your safe is right in the open.

Just wondering.
I agree, but if your camper is being burglarized, I highly doubt that any of these secure hidden places are actually safe! This, like most, is to keep the honest people out, and keep my firearms secured from the kids, and other people who shouldn't be handling them. If a thief really wants to get at them, he will find a way, and I think that goes for about any method I've seen here. Not trying to put down anyone's method of securing their firearms, just being realistic.

Also, the only way for anyone to see this, is if they are inside my camper, or on the rare occasions when the cargo door is opened. Or if I were to post a pic on the internet, but that will never happen.....oh wait...
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Yes...you don't NEED plating...but doesn't one look better than the other?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond plate.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	41702  
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964 View Post
I agree, but if your camper is being burglarized, I highly doubt that any of these secure hidden places are actually safe! This, like most, is to keep the honest people out, and keep my firearms secured from the kids, and other people who shouldn't be handling them. If a thief really wants to get at them, he will find a way, and I think that goes for about any method I've seen here. Not trying to put down anyone's method of securing their firearms, just being realistic.

Also, the only way for anyone to see this, is if they are inside my camper, or on the rare occasions when the cargo door is opened. Or if I were to post a pic on the internet, but that will never happen.....oh wait...
Makes sense - it always come down to keeping honest people honest.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Yes...you don't NEED plating...but doesn't one look better than the other?
Yes I agree it does look much better. What's the weight difference?
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #33

AND did I hear someone say they knew how to disable the BEEPING on the push button safes? I have a bunch scattered through my house and will be adding one to my safe storage under the bed. I agree that last thing you want the intruder to hear is you accessing your pistol safe.
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Mine is a biometric. I push a button, then put my thumb on there. I was able to disable the beep when pushing the button, but that was in the instructions.

As for weight... Aluminum diamond plate is fairly light. As for the skull and cross bone tools. "Awesome" doesn't weigh anything.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I installed this for guns, computer, iPad, camera, etc. when we leave the rv and do not/ cannot bring them where we go. I also have a Console Safe in the truck.
Approximately how big is this? I've wondered about keeping the iPad, computer, camera etc safe. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having A Ball View Post
Great addition! Do you think this safe would be able to securely install in a half closet off the ground. Our master closet and under the master bed are only two locations I can see putting a safe. I even thought of laying a stack on safe down under the bed, securing it to the floor. Thoughts?
I am not sure how you would mount it without seeing the area. I had to make the riser to get it above the door latches. The riser is screwed down to the floor with short screws, but plenty of them, then there is a piece of plywood screwed down to them and finally I put 4 lag bolts from the inside of the safe to the plywood.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
Approximately how big is this? I've wondered about keeping the iPad, computer, camera etc safe. Thanks.
Interior dimensions are 20"W x 6-3/8"H x 12"D. It has held 2 laptops, and iPad, a Nook reader, my Nikon digital camera and a gun or two, all at the same time. It also has a short fire rating. Here is the link to the place I got mine from, they had the best price when I was looking and I am not sure if that is true today.

Buy Laptop Safe - HD20 by Protex Safe Company
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #38

Quote:
AND did I hear someone say they knew how to disable the BEEPING on the push button safes? I have a bunch scattered through my house and will be adding one to my safe storage under the bed. I agree that last thing you want the intruder to hear is you accessing your pistol safe.
Chris, if you have a GunVault brand, I believe there is a switch on the inside to put it into silent mode.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #39

It's a mess now but when I'm finished it will be somewhat secure and neat

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-435314554.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	41705
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #40
Always Learning

This thread has run it's course- Chris was able to post his idea, it was discussed and now we have the "completed" picture (sans tidying up).
Closed Thread