Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #1

Handrails

Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about adding a handrail to the entry area of a 2019 Forester 3011DS? Getting into the coach, there is a great handrail on the right inside door frame, however the ladder is not suitable for assistance. The front wall of the Coach / back of the cab, is very thin and does not look like it will support the type of fastener needed for a strong railing. The left side of the entry, is the end of the kitchen cabinet, however the countertop drop down extension covers most of that surface.
I have MS and the entry steps are a challenge for me. I currently use the back of the passenger seat and the rectangular holes in the bunk (the ladder sockets) and insert my finger in the ladder socket.
I really need a better solution for my safety, when entering the coach. Getting out of the coach has been going okay.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You;

Brian French
2019 Forester 3011DS
Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Handles at Entrance Door

With my wife's multi-level back fusion, I had a similar problem. From your comments, I suspect your entry setup is similar to the one on our Solera. Steps I have taken:

1) added a handle under the counter extension. I put a relatively thick plywood backing board inside the cabinet to anchor this handle sufficiently.

2) lowered the handle Forest River had installed above the counter extension to approximately even with the extension. To make room to use the handle at this level, I moved the counter extension out about an inch. While the extension is now not even with the counter edge, we have not found it objectional.

3) added an about 9 inch handle to the door frame on the passenger seat side of the door. Chose a handle that uses a single screw attachment at each end. I used flat head screws and nuts, with the screw heads on the door side and the nuts on the handle side (rather than the supplied sheet metal screws) to attach this handle. This attachment resulted in a relatively low "bump" on the door side, and a very strong attachment. Door works fine (no interference from the screw heads) and the attachment seems quite strong.

I'll attach pictures (some are mis-rotated).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4648.jpg
Views:	2932
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	249674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4654.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	249675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4652.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	249676   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4649.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	249677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4650.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	249678  

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

Thank You Very Much. The handrail on the door frame, that you added, was already present on our coach.

The hand hold you added under the countertop extension looks like it could be a big help.

Somehow I need another handrail up by the upper passenger seat, in the area of the overhead bunk insert (the removable section of the overhead bed), where the ladder attaches.

Thank You Very Much;

Brian French
2019 Forester 3011DS
Old 03-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
2012 Solera

My wife has difficulty reaching up, so she hasn’t asked for anything like you described. One thought - maybe something like this could be modified to work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FYQGPZY...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Several versions available.

Regards, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #5

Heres what I added to the dinette wall on our 2860DS to assist with getting in and out. I reinforced the dinette wall space with 1 x 4s and the handraiing is mounted on the same thickness boards. Also added L bracket bracing to the sides and floor of the dinette to allow weight transfer throughout. Used Krieg pocket screws to joint where it made sense, including the handrail backer. The handrails themselves are from the Delta collection.

You may be able to duplicate this on your configurationClick image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091312.jpeg
Views:	3243
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	249694
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #6

Thank You.

It’s amazing how Amazon has the ability to get you almost anything.

Thank You;
Brian French
Old 03-16-2021, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about adding a handrail to the entry area of a 2019 Forester 3011DS? Getting into the coach, there is a great handrail on the right inside door frame, however the ladder is not suitable for assistance. The front wall of the Coach / back of the cab, is very thin and does not look like it will support the type of fastener needed for a strong railing. The left side of the entry, is the end of the kitchen cabinet, however the countertop drop down extension covers most of that surface.

I have MS and the entry steps are a challenge for me. I currently use the back of the passenger seat and the rectangular holes in the bunk (the ladder sockets) and insert my finger in the ladder socket.

I really need a better solution for my safety, when entering the coach. Getting out of the coach has been going okay.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You;

Brian French

2019 Forester 3011DS

We just purchased a 2021 Forester 3011DS. My husband actually removed the drop-down counter extension because it didn’t make sense to either of us. We are going to see if we can get a grab bar that matches the outside one in the left side of the door and put it in at a slant. If not, there are plenty of grab bars on Amazon to choose from. We put the ladder on with the hooks facing out so the ladder sits solid on the floor and I can push down on the rungs to help with my right side. I hope this might help you.
Mamasuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:23 AM   #8

Chris:

You did an awesome job with the handrails, they look fantastic and extremely useful/ helpful.

Thank You;

Brian French
Old 03-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #9

Mamasuz:

Exactly my thoughts. You have reinforced a very suitable solution.

It strikes me as odd, that the class C is typically purchased by older folks and sometimes with some type of deficit, yet the entry area is quite difficult for mobility.

We did install a handrail at the hinged side of the slide out pantry door, to assist with the step up to the bedroom and bathroom. It has a flange that just fits under the door when it’s open.

Thank You;

Brian French
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9618038-EA9C-4C9E-9CEB-51B914CE7734.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	249837  
Old 03-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #10

Brian,

I have e a lot of pictures of the inside of the dinette showing the reinforcing backing and L rackets added there. For some reason the FR app sorts my pictures in my Gallery differently than viewing on my phone and is not showing me all the pictures I wanted to send on the post.

The miod I made is completely out of sight sans the obvious handrail and the factory inner dinette paneling was the only material removed to allow the mod to happen, and reinstalled with new staples as from the factory.

I did the mod for my wife who has knee issues but I find myself using the handrails all the time up and out the door.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #11

Chris:

Thank you and I understand what you had to do In our case the handrail will be on the back of the cab / front of the coach.

Thank You;

Brian French
2019 Forester 3011DS
Old 03-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #12

I looked at your floorplan. Nice coach.

You have some options, possibly you've thought about them already?

The counter top extension is an obstacle but depending on the depth of the hand railing you choose it may be possible to retain it if when reinstalling the extension mount and props they can be set further away from the cabinet. They may interfere with the hand though.

I use my counter top extension often but my floorplan allows passage between the extension and the hallway wall..If you do not use your counter top extension you might consider removing it?

The other obstacle may be adding a 1 x 4 backer on the inside. I added backers horizontal between the dinette wall framing but you've got cabinet drawers and their guide rails near the wall. A careful inspection of that available space may yield options for handrail screw attachments into existing framing and/or adding 1 piece or 2 of backer. I expect working in that area will be tight but possible working between drawer guides - but even drawer guides can be carefully removed and reinstalled. (One of my drawer guides under my stove came loose and I removed it, glued in tooth pick pieces in the mounting holes and reinstalled so it can be done)

Looks like your convince center or switches are mounted on that wall. Something else which could make mounting vertical bracing impossible but horizontal bracing more likely or better yet theres factory bracing you can screw into.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #13

This is where I need the extra handrails for support and safety.

Thank You; Brian French
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F8245943-59A9-48AC-87E8-65A6255D2C16.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	249852   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DDC0637-F390-41F5-9531-0F02D12E743A.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	249853  
Old 03-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #14

Chris:

Thank you for your great suggestions.

We are going to see what we can get to work.

Thank You;

Brian French
2019 Forester 3011DS
Old 03-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #15

BTW, welcome to the forum!

It is so good to see a newer member as engaged as yourself.

Many happy miles motoring!