Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #1

Heat issues

I have a 2016 2401w mbs with a domitec ac + heat pump system.

If I am not plugged in and I turn the switch to furnace my furnace runs off my battery stops when it gets to temperature. Perfect!

When I am plugged in and I switch to furnace my whole ac/blower runs non stop. Is this right? Or how do I fix this?
Aaronvg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Set the fan setting in the thermostat to 'auto'. It's a feature designed to circulate the heated air. (heat rises)
The 'auto' fan setting will keep it from running during heating. Fan on Hi or Low will allow the A/C blower run. It's designed to work in this manner. It's not a 'problem."

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

yes, and while the FURNACE setting is designed to work the Furnace AND it's own fan off 12v power from the batteries, the roof Air Conditioner Fan and Cooling functions are only designed to work off of 120v power, via the generator or while plugged into shore power.

So, while a little confusing, only the Furnace and it's own fan will work when off-grid...

but,
when you plug in, and turn the Furnace on, the thermostat controller also now allows for the roof air conditioners to work...

if the FAN setting happens to be on LOW or HIGH, the roof Air Conditioner's fan will run constantly, thinking that you want that...

if you don't, then turn the thermostat's FAN setting to AUTO then, so that only the Furnace and it's own fan will run.

fun!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

Gotcha, I didn’t know you could change the fan speed. Ha
Aaronvg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

right, the integrated Thermostat controller is part of the confusion, as it doesn't make it 'clear' what is controlled when you just want the Furnace(heat), and when you want the roof Air Conditioner(s), and the their FANS.
FAN is a term that could be used for both the Furnace and the Air Conditioner, but it's really ONLY referring to the roof air conditioner(s), since the Furnace already has it's OWN fan...usually a box type fan located in the basement, or under the bathroom sink area, etc, near the furnace's exterior propane burner cover. It will already run anytime the furnace is firing, and even usually for a few minutes thereafter, to push out any remaining heated air.

for those with the additional electric heat, or HEAT PUMP, you have even another additional element to the Thermostat's control. : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #6

Mine seems to work a little different and I don’t like it. First time use of the heat pump last week. Seemed to work okay. Then, after about five minutes the furnace came on. It was not selected on the control panel. Solved the problem by shutting the propane off.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Mine seems to work a little different and I don’t like it. First time use of the heat pump last week. Seemed to work okay. Then, after about five minutes the furnace came on. It was not selected on the control panel. Solved the problem by shutting the propane off.
We dont have the heat pump option in our R/V but do at home. At home, if the heat pump can't maintain set temperature (or if you raise the 'stat too many degrees at once) the furnace kicks in to help out. Maybe your R/V is working similarly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We dont have the heat pump option in our R/V but do at home. At home, if the heat pump can't maintain set temperature (or if you raise the 'stat too many degrees at once) the furnace kicks in to help out. Maybe your R/V is working similarly.
Thanks. That might be it. Heading out tomorrow for three nights in 45-50 degree WX so I can experiment with it.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
We have a Dometic 15k AC with heat pump and the integrated digital thermostat.
We discovered if the outside temperature drops low enough, even when set on heat pump, the furnace will take over. I heard this happening and was surprised but thought it was better than waking up to a cold rv.

Tags
forester