Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

Heat pump

Need some help. Forgot my electric heater this past weekend and had to put on the furnace. Haven’t used it, the furnace, in a long time. The heat pump came on and the furnace at the same time. ??? Air flowing from the ceiling vents and heat from the wall vents. I tried both settings, heat pump and furnace separately. The furnace heat would go off when the thermostat temp is reached but not the heat pump setting. The furnace fuse was good but have not found a fuse for the heat pump. 2017 Sunseeker Class C. HELP! Thanks
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Heat pump will not produce heat if outside temp is below about 45°. Therefore it defaults to furnace. You can pull the ac fuse and stop heatpump from trying to run.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Are you sure it's your heat pump or is the fan switch on your wall thermostat set to high or low instead of auto?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #4

Heat pump

Thanks to both of you. I will check out the two possibilities. Al
Old 06-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #5

The heat pump on our 2011 Sunseeker will put out heat until the outside temperature drops below 30 F. The Dometic thermostat runs it in defrost mode for 5 minutes every half hour between 42 F and 30 F. When it drops below 30 F, it switches to the furnace, even if heat pump is selected.

Forest River changed to a different thermostat a few years after ours was built. The newer thermostats, such as the one owned by dchetwood, may have different settings for switching modes. Check your thermostat manual for your settings.

As stated above, on ours if the fan is set for low or high instead of automatic, the A/C - heat pump fan will run when the furnace runs.

By the way, you will see some posts that heat pumps don't put out heat below some temperature. I've seen these statements at various temperatures, as high as 60 degrees. Our Dometic heat pump raises the air going through it by 30 degrees whether its 70 outside or 45, so it still puts out its rated capacity even as it gets colder outside. Of course, it doesn't heat the floor, so I usually switch to the furnace anyway when it gets below 45.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
The heat pump on our 2011 Sunseeker will put out heat until the outside temperature drops below 30 F. The Dometic thermostat runs it in defrost mode for 5 minutes every half hour between 42 F and 30 F. When it drops below 30 F, it switches to the furnace, even if heat pump is selected.

Forest River changed to a different thermostat a few years after ours was built. The newer thermostats, such as the one owned by dchetwood, may have different settings for switching modes. Check your thermostat manual for your settings.

As stated above, on ours if the fan is set for low or high instead of automatic, the A/C - heat pump fan will run when the furnace runs.

By the way, you will see some posts that heat pumps don't put out heat below some temperature. I've seen these statements at various temperatures, as high as 60 degrees. Our Dometic heat pump raises the air going through it by 30 degrees whether its 70 outside or 45, so it still puts out its rated capacity even as it gets colder outside. Of course, it doesn't heat the floor, so I usually switch to the furnace anyway when it gets below 45.
Thanks, I believe it could be with the Auto setting. Good forum and good people in it. Safe camping is wished to all of you.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #7

Yes, your problem was the fan Auto selection. I just wanted to give you a head's up about misinformation that you may encounter.

Enjoy your RV.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

heat pump

Thanks to you. Rambler.

Tags
pump