Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #21
Denver, CO

Ultra heat guy is an idiot. As said, it doesnít matter where the pads are connected. And 30 AMPS of power is a ton of power unless you got electric heaters and or an AC running.

Something else is wrong and needs to be diagnosed. The WFCO converters are crap and so thatís the first place to look but you got to have a multi meter and maybe a clamp meter to figure it out. A 55 amp charger pulls maybe 5 amps of 110 volts.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #22

I don't want to bother anybody with the details, but I monitor AC and DC power closely - probably because I'm nuts . We have 4 heat pads that have been on for 6 weeks with no interruption, lights are all LED, furnace runs 15 minutes every hour the DC output out of our 100 Amp charger has never been more than 45ish Amp DC, so roughly 5 Amp AC. If you want to add to the the 5 Amp AC that the charger draws another 12 Amp AC for the water heater on electric and maybe the fridge on startup drawing 3 Amp AC (1.1 Amp running) that's 20 Amp AC total max. If we would run the dishwasher, microwave etc. we would easily cross the 30 Amp threshold, but only then.
The OP has a 55 Amp DC converter/charger (5 - 6 Amp load on AC), that should be more than enough to supply the DC side of the system with room to spare, even if he has incandescent lights. This leads me to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the batteries, they need to be tested.
I assume that the charging cable is somewhere around #6 and 8' long, that should be sufficient for the load and if the heat pads wired directly to the batteries that again points to the charger trying to feed dead batteries. I suspect that if he hits the battery disconnect switch that everything will be just fine, except he will lose his heat pads.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong .
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #23
Shoulda' retired earlier

I would be of the same opinion as Granny K and Camaraderie. I had a low battery alarm in NY CG while hooked up to power, checked batteries and converter. Emailed Power Dynamics they said to send them converter and they would repair. I ended up replacing converter and decided to install Trimetric it was during the Trimetric install that i found the real problem - an uncrimped battery connection was not fully charging the battery. With the Trimetric I now have a better idea of the battery status dry or hookup camping
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I haven't been everywhere but its on my list"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, led, service