Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Our ford escape was capable of pushing our 32 footer around when my tow bar was jamming up on one side.

Sure...if something is not right.
Worn tie rod ends on the toad can also cause a severe 'shimmy' giving major feedback to the coach.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpontheroad View Post
That sucks the truck is still not allowing you to handle well after everything you’ve tried! I’m assuming you have “tow mode” on yes? With our E-450 chassis, tow/haul mode really helps. Pretty amazing what a little engine braking and higher RPM’s can do (I’m assuming you’re already doing this though).

I doubt it’s your suspension as plenty of us tow vehicles with lifted/off-road suspensions. I guess it could be the riser, though I know plenty of people are fine with those as well. We actually just got rid of our stock bumper/blue Ox base plate on our Jeep and installed aftermarket bumpers with tow points instead. We now have a 12” difference in hitch height, so we had to go with a 10 1/4” riser to make up for it (biggest they make and will get us within 3” difference).

We haven’t had a chance to tow with the new setup yet, but we’ll see if it makes a huge difference. Really hoping it doesn’t as our setup has been great up until now, but we needed the extra clearance for off-roading. I’ll respond here and let you know if the riser affects our ride negatively.

Yes we have tried the tow mode and it makes no difference on the toad. Yeah I think your right it’s probably not the suspension. Everything feels solid and we now have the caster at +6. The motorhome suspension is dialed in. Let me know how the riser works for you. since you guys have the same chassis as us we are really curious how it all comes together. Thanks for your input!
Golden Doodle
Chocolate Lab
firemech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Sounds like your steering on the toad is not free enough.
Is it an electric assist rack?
Go to a parking lot and have someone sit in the vehicle and make some sharp turns back and forth. They can watch teh movement of the steering wheel.
They can also watch from outside- see how quickly the wheels turn after the motorhome turns.
That ZR2 should NOT push you around in a 27 ft mh.

Yes the steering is going to be our focus. Yes we do have electric assist. As I said GM suggest a negative battery disconnect and we are not entirely sure why the negative. But maybe this has something to do with disabling the steering or not? I do understand why the battery disconnect and do have the positive disconnected while towing.
Scenario; driving straight and in perfect condition and we make a lane change truck doesn’t seem to respond to with the MH immediately and feels like it’s resisting the movement. Almost like it’s a delay in responding to the MH or fighting the transition. But then will straighten out and comply. Now add gusts, windy roads, speed and downhill and its worst. Thanks for the vote of confidence for the ZR2! And your feedback!
Golden Doodle
Chocolate Lab
Old 09-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Our ford escape was capable of pushing our 32 footer around when my tow bar was jamming up on one side. Well I should say our tow bar was pushing us around. I wonder if the toad doesn't have a locking steering wheel. If it does you might have to leave the keys in it and in the on position to free it up. Just be sure to turn off all your accessories and light. Be ready for your battery to take a pounding. When towing a vehicle four down with a locking wheel I normally had to start the car at each gas stop to recharge the battery. Although all that being said I believe that the new S10s are all fully drive by wire. I don't know if a key in the on position will do anything for a car that new.

Yes toad has a locking steering wheel and yes i leave key in the on position with battery disconnect. I have toad wired to charge via the motorhome.
The tow bar appears to be working, locking on each side when turning. This is one of the first things we checked. Thanks!
Golden Doodle
Chocolate Lab
Old 09-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #45
Certified Curmudgeon

I can’t believe I missed it. The problem is obvious. You are trying to tow a Chevy with a Ford. Can’t be done. It’s like bathing in a stucco bathtub.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #46

I’m curious about this possible handling issue when towing. Is it only an issue when polling a toad four wheels down or is there also an issue when using a tow dolly? The only towing I’ve done is with a 3,300 pound (actual) single axle 12.5 foot enclosed utility trailer. Tongue weight was 470 pounds and I didn’t notice any issues over 700 miles. The statement “couldn’t even tell it was back there” was definitely true in this case. Just had to pay closer attention when turning.

Tags
forester, toad