Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater Troubles

When we received our RV from the dealer there was water in the water tank and the heater. On our first trip last fall, I noticed that turning on the water heater always ignited the burner. On return I called the dealer and he told me of a hidden switch that need to be turned on. I found it, assumed that that was the problem, and promptly stored the RV for the winter. Now with Spring, we've set off on a cross-country trip and - still the same problem with the switch in either position. Any ideas on something that I'm still not on to, or do I have to seek a warranty repair - a most disruptive addition to my trip.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri View Post
When we received our RV from the dealer there was water in the water tank and the heater. On our first trip last fall, I noticed that turning on the water heater always ignited the burner. On return I called the dealer and he told me of a hidden switch that need to be turned on. I found it, assumed that that was the problem, and promptly stored the RV for the winter. Now with Spring, we've set off on a cross-country trip and - still the same problem with the switch in either position. Any ideas on something that I'm still not on to, or do I have to seek a warranty repair - a most disruptive addition to my trip.
Switch inside is for gas only.
Switch outside is for electric only.

U can run both at the same time or one or the other independently

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Switch inside is for gas only.
Switch outside is for electric only.

U can run both at the same time or one or the other independently

Turbs
Or turn them both off. Which is what it sounds like he wants to do.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post

Or turn them both off. Which is what it sounds like he wants to do.
Right
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The water heater switch in the control panel (along with the water pump) only controls the propane side of the WH. If you want to run it on electric leave that switch off and have the small switch inside the water heater switched on along with dedicated breaker in the power center. You can run the WH on propane and electric at the same time should you want maximum recovery.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I am thinking he left the switch on when he drained the tank for the winter.
We all know what that means...

Suburban 1000 Watt Screw In Electric Element Water Heater Hot Rod Replacement on eBay!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I am thinking he left the switch on when he drained the tank for the winter.
We all know what that means...

Suburban 1000 Watt Screw In Electric Element Water Heater Hot Rod Replacement on eBay!
Roger that.
I was thinking it u said it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Roger that.
I was thinking it u said it.
X3. I was thinking they will need to replace the electric heating element now, as it is most likely burned out if they plugged in the trailer with no water in the water heater...and read ya's post.

Maybe this will help the OP, as it got posted to the FAQ section the other day:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327989

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I noticed that turning on the water heater always ignited the burner. On return I called the dealer and he told me of a hidden switch that need to be turned on. I found it, assumed that that was the problem, and promptly stored the RV for the winter. Now with Spring, we've set off on a cross-country trip and - still the same problem with the switch in either position. Any ideas on something that I'm still not on to, or do I have to seek a warranty repair - a most disruptive addition to my trip.
As stated, your water heater can run off of propane or electricity (it has an electric heating element inside the tank), or both at the same time. They are two different systems, independent of one another.

When you turn on the switch in the inside of your trailer, you are turning on the DSI/propane function of your water heater, and since the water is cold, it is going to immediately turn the propane burners on and heat the water up till it gets to it's preset temperature....then will automatically turn off. This on/off switch is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. As long as you leave the inside switch on, everytime the water temperature inside the heater drops enough, the burners will light up and heat the water again. Works like your water heater at home. If you don't want your water heater to run off of propane, then just leave the switch off inside the trailer, or turn it off after you heat a tank of water. Also turn it off, when breaking camp.

The outside switch on the front of the water heater is to turn on the electrical heating element inside the tank...which only works off 120 volt electricity and you have to be plugged into shore power for this part to work. You ALWAYS have to have water inside the tank before turning this switch on or you instantly burn up the water heaters electric heating element. You can then only run the water heater off of propane till you replace the heating element. Sometimes when this heating element is burned out, it will trip breakers inside your camper. Keep the switch turned off when breaking/setting up camp and only turn it on when there is water in the tank. I have a feeling you may have already burned out the heating element, so keep this switch in the off position till you get where you can check it out.

The mistake that many campers make is to leave the outside heating element switch turned on when unplugging from shore power, and then drain the tank. As soon as you hook up to shore power again (like at home), since you have left the switch turned on, the heating element comes on and immediately burns itself out without any water in the tank.

The reason you have these two different modes of water heating available depends on your camping situation. If you are at a campground with full electrical hookups, you can always just use the electrical heating element side of things.

Now if you are boondocking, or somewhere with no electrical...you can still have hot water using the propane side.

Even with electricity, you could still use the propane with the heating element (both switches turned to on) and get hot water faster if you are using a lot quickly. You could also just use the propane side (propane switch turned on, heating element switch turned off), and save some electrical amps for other things. The electrical heating element does use a few amps, and will sometimes throw your campers breaker when using the heating element and air-conditioner, and/or other things at the same time....if your camper is of the 30 amp variety.

If you don't need hot water (using campground showers, etc.), just keep the inside and outside switches turned off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

This should not ruin your trip ....keep in mind the duel electric / gas water heaters are relatively new on the RV front..... In the past the water heaters were only gas, you still have that option........... just use it on gas.

Our 2013 Puma is the first camper we have owned with the duel option & truefully, I keep forgetting about it and end up running the water heater just on gas anyway. Just run it on gas (it does not use that much).... If you are not sure on how to check the element out & replace it.....you can deal with it when you get home again...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

Oh!!! Many thanks to all for pointing out that I don't know what I'm doing. That I do know. Our last RV had a turn-on water heater and electricity heats or, if none, propane works; like the fridge. I'm embarrassed but thankful. I did know about the don't turn on heater unless water is in tank; so didn't ( I don't think). I'll try electrical heated water this evening.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
I'm embarrassed but thankful. I did know about the don't turn on heater unless water is in tank; so didn't ( I don't think). I'll try electrical heated water this evening.
There is absolutely nothing to be the least bit embarrassed about. It's all a learning experience that we have went thru. That's the whole purpose of these forums, to share knowledge and experiences with each other.

I feel I owe you, after sending you after that white rabbit in Byron, MS. That get's off with me that it wasn't good after I made the suggestion.

If you have gained a better understanding of your water heater, and it makes your travels better.....then we have done what we try to here in the forums.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #13

Well I seem to be wrong. It doesn't heat with electricity, so likely I did what y'all suggested, and I denied. Thanks to F1100Turbo et al for the suggestions on finding a replacement element. Easily replaced?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #14

Geri - There was only 14 minutes between your 2 posts (will try to heat on electric and it doesn't work). Electric is not as fast at heating as propane is. Up to an hour if heater tank has cold water in it. It is also silent. I think you need to allow a little more time to diagnose that it doesn't work.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You should hear it sizzle when its working
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Denver, CO

I only here a sizzle when I am grilling a steak. My WH is silent when on electric.

My previous TT had a 110 v switch for the water heater on the control panel, which was a good idea I think. Maybe that is a good mod to think of.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I only here a sizzle when I am grilling a steak. My WH is silent when on electric.

My previous TT had a 110 v switch for the water heater on the control panel, which was a good idea I think. Maybe that is a good mod to think of.
Our sabre has both switches inside as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Well I seem to be wrong. It doesn't heat with electricity, so likely I did what y'all suggested, and I denied. Thanks to F1100Turbo et al for the suggestions on finding a replacement element. Easily replaced?
I don't remember you stated the circuit breaker is closed and power is available to the heater, did you check it? You can remove the circular cover over the element and check voltage across it. Remove ac during access to the heater. If voltage is present across the element, and no warming, the element is burned out. If needed remove the wiring from the element, can purchase renewal at Home Depot 117 volt rated only. Then change element by screwing out, drain heater first and replace with sealant on threads, reconnect wire and install cover after test for power.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_203105.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	26668
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #20

Thanks guys for the input. We were in the RV park at Big Bend when I wrote my plea, and had been on electric for a couple of hours by then, but the water was still cold. I will try taking off the cover and measuring voltage. Did check the circuit breaker and it was on. I assume its the round black cover in front. Again thank y'all for the help. If it is indeed burned out, think the easiest answer is to just use propane until we get home