Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blythepyrate View Post
I just ordered Progressive Dynamics (PD4655V) 55 Amp Converter/Charger

I'm assuming this will fit and work well with my Sunseeker, based on the comments here.

Does anyone know if I can get a head start by taking the old one out now but still be able to use the 12 v system? Not sure if taking out the converter will break the 12v system circuit. Of course if it's not working anyway.....

Thanks for all the great input!

Alison
Yes, you can remove the convertor without causing problems with the coach's 12 volt system. The convertor just feeds 12 volts into the fuse panel, it's not a loop in the system. You will then only have 12 volts from your coach batteries, of course.

Be careful. Remove the negative cable from the coach batteries to be sure the 12 volt power is off going to the convertor. Otherwise, it will backfeed the 12 volt output cables from the fuse panel. Also, tape up any cable ends because if you start the chassis engine, the Battery Control Center will feed 12 volts to the coach, even though the coach batteries are disconnected. Also, if you start the generator, it will feed 120 volts to the power distribution panel and from there it will go through the 120 volt breaker into the cables feeding the convertor, so they will become hot.

If you turn off the battery disconnect switch, it will isolate the coach batteries from the fuse panel, but if you start the chassis engine, the BCC will still feed 12 volts to the fuse panel, making the convertor cables hot. To be safe, tape the cable ends.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
If you turn off the battery disconnect switch, it will isolate the coach batteries from the fuse panel, but if you start the chassis engine, the BCC will still feed 12 volts to the fuse panel, making the convertor cables hot. To be safe, tape the cable ends.
I don't know if all years are the same but on my 2012 model the chassis alternator charges the coach batteries thru a direct connection and does not go through the disconnect switch or fuse panel.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #23

The problem may not be with the converter. It seems odd that three have been changed in such a short period of time. It could be ventilation in the compartment or a problem in the electrical system the converter is connected to. Did you check with the manufacturer of the converter for any of their recommendations?
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I don't know if all years are the same but on my 2012 model the chassis alternator charges the coach batteries thru a direct connection and does not go through the disconnect switch or fuse panel.
The BIRD (bidirectional relay delay) in the battery control center energizes a solenoid that connects the chassis alternator to the coach batteries when the engine is running.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #25

I had this very problem and between this forum and a brief call to my dealer's service department we had it straight in no time. It was a fuse that was not well seated in the converter. Thanks!
Solderin Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
Retired

battery brand & type

I know this is a little off topic, but we have a 2012 Sunseeker and was wondering what brand of battery FR puts in these units, also, is it marine deep cycle and what is the cold cranking amps.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #27
Commercial Member

I answered this on here before with more detail, but in a nutshell "cold cranking amps" are mainly for starter batteries. Not really relevant for deep cycle batteries. They are a deep cycle battery by Exide.

They seem to do the trick, although I have a large rental account that prefers the Interstate SRM-27B (must be the B). Although I think they have been renamed the Interstate Pro27M (black top). As long as they are charged properly I think they all work pretty good.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #28

We had a problem with our batteries not charging on shore power. Under the door steps outside under the camper, there was a loose nut. It was causing the problem. Tightened and new batteries, we are ready to start the season.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
MzZorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, power, battery