Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #21

The funny thing is that we thought we would drive a lot longer when we got our Class A.

We did OH to FL straight through once, but never again. That was in my comfy Ram Longhorn pulling a 25 footer TT. Did that trip many of times, but always with one overnight stay.

In our Class A after about 5 to 6 hours I'm ready to stop. Not DW, DS, DB, and DG or course. I think it's more stressful because of the size and the fact that it is a billboard having to correct a lot more times than a regular vehicle. Nevertheless, would not trade it for anything else.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Alpalmer, I found what you said interesting about the A being a billboard. On our recent trip pulling a 35'tt, we hit strong winds in north Texas, New Mexico and On the way back in Nebraska. We slowed to 55 from 65mph & ever time an A or 2 came flying by us like the wind didn't exist. For sure I thought they cut through the wind better then my Tundra and TT.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #23

It appears the heavier they are the better they handle. The DPs also handle better with the air ride and some of them have a TAG axle which helps a lot...not to mention they are much heavier. The ones that get pushed around, like ours, need a little extra help. I've dialed ours to about 70% better with some add-ons. If you got passed by one like ours with steady winds like you experienced, they probably had a steering stabilizer and other things. We'll be passing you like that once I get ours aligned and add a steering stabilizer. We can easily cruise at 75 MPH with perfect conditions with one finger on the wheel, but the minute crosswinds hit the sail...well, you have to correct for it.

Didn't have a problem with my old setup, but the TT was only a 25 footer, shorter in height, and a lot more aerodynamic.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
DnL

It's kind of a related question ...

What tricks do you use to find that random "4 pm" camp site - and RV friendly gas stations along the way?
DnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnL View Post

What tricks do you use to find that random "4 pm" camp site - and RV friendly gas stations along the way?

I start at home figuring total miles to destination via Road Atlas.
Divide that out to 300 to 350 legs and search for campsites in that use
The " big book" and allstays.
For gas stations we use Road Ninja app and the next stop paper book.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
Camper Less Camping

Usually keep it under 400 miles for a trip with no overnight stops...our young kids are accustomed to the long hauls now so it's no bother for them as they are always anxious to get to their destination ,)

Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnL View Post

I downloaded an app called RV parky. Shows campgrounds, walmarts, Cracker Barrel stores and rest stops. Frankly it's great, you can scroll the map in the direction you're heading and see what's ahead.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #28

Smile allstays

We use all stays camp and RV. It has a world of info! Walmart you can and cannot park at. Corps of engineer campgrounds. State parks and private campgrounds. Low clearances. Pilots and loves and travel america. Just to name a little bit! It is on Google play store and worth the minimal price!
daywalker567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #29

X2 on allstays!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
Maron

We joined Frog last Fall as Newbie's and now have over 100 nights + camping in 10 states. So...to say we learned a lot is an understatement. To plan our stops for both camping and fuel we relied heavily on our iPad. On that we had 4 primary apps we used constantly: The first was "World Radar" for weather. We left in February so we wanted to know about precipitation, winds, and temperatures. That App allows you to put the names of cities in along your route and then gives you critical information on all those key issues including radar showing storms for each city you entered into the app.
Next our primary app for info on campgrounds, restaurants, Walmarts, Rest Areas and fuel was Allstays. We combined that with Good Sam and Passport America for campground info. Then DW would check reviews on line on the iPad while we were driving to confirm the quality and comfort experiences of past visitors. Allstays info on campgrounds instantly told you how far you were milage wise from that campground and showed the route so you pretty much new when you would arrive.
If they past all those checks..then we would call ahead on the cell, make a reservation if it fit our needs for space, and comfort needs. That procedure never failed us.
Two other devices we relied on heavily were Verizon's Jetpack and a portable Dish antenna for satellite HD TV wherever we were. The Jetpack also known as a "Mifi" versus wifi, worked great. We carried it in the truck for when we wanted to be on line to research all of the above. I'm sure one is available from AT&T but our cell service was with Verizon so we went with them. Anyplace there was a tower giving out cell contact...the Jetpack worked. We were in some real sticks locations and it came through loud and clear.
The Dish was excellent...except when it rained. Face it south with tree clearance, reprogram it for the new State which took 3 minutes, make yourself a drink and you were watching the national news, Fox or CNN in 5 minutes...in HD.
That is his we did it from 2/6 til we got home on 5/10.
This may have been a little long and I apologize to all of you senior members...but I thought for the newbies, this would take some of the concern out of the big decisions.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #31

Newbie also, which all stays app did you pick?
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:51 AM   #32

All Stays Camp & RV app. Excellent app with all the info you need for camping and traveling.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #33

X2 on Allstays.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Maron

We used the Allstays camp & RV app and Passport America for 1/2 price rates.