Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Usually it takes 20-30 seconds to prime the unit, This is how we have done ours and it usually fries right up. Ours does not have a red light that comes on. Never did and there is no red light on the switch.
X2
Ours was the same way. it had the light, but saw some units without the light on the switch.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
A known problem with the 4000 is a sticking choke linkage. Occasionally when I start mine, if it won't cold start, I go out and open the compartment, take the front cover off.
Manually kick the linkage open, and using the prime/start button, prime it, and it will start right up.
After running for awhile, shut down, and restart 30-60 minutes later from inside...it starts right up.
Some of the 4000's do this and some don't. Luck of the draw.
Grumpy
x2 Tried that and works well. Saves a lot of wear and tear on starter.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
x2 Tried that and works well. Saves a lot of wear and tear on starter.
I forgot to mention that you have to physically hold the linkage open with one hand while you hit the start button. Even if it's cold, after you prime it, hold the linkage open and it should start right up within a second or two.
It's a known problem that I think has been brought up on this forum, and several others I visit. Even Onan is aware, but there is no fix other than holding linkage open.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #24

I have had my choke stick open many times.... Take the cover off and see if you can close the choke manually. When I do that it always fires right up, if not it takes a lot of cranking. I keep meaning to lubricate it, but I don't use it very often.
willide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #25

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and I have a 2013 Sunseeker MH with an Onan 4000 generator.
I put gas stabilizer in my fuel and run the MH engine and the generator periodically throughout the winter.
I can start my generator, after priming from the switch w/the red light as mentioned herein, even though the temperatures have been as low as -25, when my cabin batteries are right up.
I sometimes have trouble with the cabin batteries lacking the charge necessary to start the generator, but I get around that by starting the truck engine first and letting it run and warm up a bit before I try cranking the generator.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #26

Sawdust In Unit

On a prior unit, I had the same starting problems. As it turned out there was sawdust, from the factory, in the gas bowl. After a through cleaning all was well. You can easily check the bowl and spray some gumout around and maybe save yourself some headaches.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGaines View Post
I have a 4000 Onan generator in a 2017 Sunseeker that is hard to start when it is cold. I do not think I'm priming it properly? My toggle switch for starting the generator is also my prime/stop switch when the lower half is pushed. I see some folks talk about a light that comes on. I am pretty sure I do not have a light, I've never seen it at least. I am not even sure the switch does anything? Can someone tell me the correct procedure for starting the cold generator? How long to depress the switch if there is no light? How to tell if it is even doing anything? Thank you in advance.
if you have no light on your Prime switch inside something may be wrong ???
Try your outside Prim switch,,, hold for 20 seconds they try to start Genny !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
The issue with my hard cold-starting 4K was that the choke rod gets stuck in the "OFF" position. Other's have had the same issue. I can manually move the choke rod to the "ON" position and it will start right up on the first push of the button.
This is the same problem I have had with mine for 2 1/2 years and moving the rod solved it. The rod with the bend in it needs to be moved to the left. It goes behind the metal plate on the right. I did the monthly exercise yesterday when it was in the upper 40's outside and it started right up after a 10 second prime. It used to take 2-3 tries at cranking after priming for 20 to 30 seconds.

Hope the pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_105200.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	160939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_105206.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	160940  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #29

Thanks guys! I also have had issues starting my Onan 4000. I usually had to press the prime for 5 second , release for 5 seconds and do this 3 or 4 times and then try starting. It would take about 15 seconds to start. I just ran out and moved the choke rod to the left, and it seemed stuck. I primed it for 5 seconds and it started right up first time. GREAT, thanks again for the tip!
Any suggestions on were to lubricate to correct stickiness?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #30

Not all gen sets have a light. If you're does not have a light then hold down the stop switch till the hour meter lights up to see the hours then count to 10..then hit start..never crank gen set more then 19 seconds at a time.you are over heating the starter and you will smoke the start.
glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #31

Book & Techs that I have talked to say 20 second prime !!!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #32

I use a quick squirt of Valvoline Starting fluid/spray with upper cylinder lubricant. Remove the air filter and give it a quick 2 second squirt hit the start button and off you go! Reinstall the air filter and let it warm a couple of minutes before turning the breakers on. NOTE: most diesels do not like starting fluid and I know nothing about propane systems so check before using on anything other then a gas powered generator set.
Dominnic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Thanks guys! I also have had issues starting my Onan 4000. I usually had to press the prime for 5 second , release for 5 seconds and do this 3 or 4 times and then try starting. It would take about 15 seconds to start. I just ran out and moved the choke rod to the left, and it seemed stuck. I primed it for 5 seconds and it started right up first time. GREAT, thanks again for the tip!
Any suggestions on were to lubricate to correct stickiness?
I just sprayed some WD 40 in the hole where the rod goes today. We’ll see if that helps
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I forgot to mention that you have to physically hold the linkage open with one hand while you hit the start button. Even if it's cold, after you prime it, hold the linkage open and it should start right up within a second or two.
It's a known problem that I think has been brought up on this forum, and several others I visit. Even Onan is aware, but there is no fix other than holding linkage open.
Grumpy
That’s not the way mine works. Once it is unstuck ( moved to the left) it should stay there and the choke is “ON”. Once it warms up, the rod goes to the right and is in the “OFF” position, which is where it gets stuck at.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #35

Quote:
I just sprayed some WD 40 in the hole where the rod goes today. We’ll see if that helps
Thanks, let us know if it helps. I went out this morning and gavea look at the generator choke rod. It's still loose and so I primed for 5 seconds and it started right up. When I say 5 seconds, I mean from once I heard the fuel pump start. Pressing the prime/stop button takes 3-4 seconds before the pump starts. Inside, I can see the red light come on and the hour meter appear.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #36

Thanks to members of this forum for teaching me how the generator should be started. We have owned our Lexington for two years now and have spent lots and lots of time priming and cranking!! After reading this thread I went to the camper and cranked the genset for a count of three. No start. Counted to 5 and cranked again. Started right up.
I checked the action of the choke and it is fine. Double checked that I reset the altitude adjustment to sea level again and checked the adjustment on the choke. Mine has both. When we get to the mountains this summer I will have to adjust both.
Always learning new things on this forum and others I have read. Thank goodness there are knowledgeable people willing to share.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Thanks, let us know if it helps..

Yes, it is working. I unstuck the rod and sprayed WD 40 in the hole. Genny started right up. Shut it down. Next day went out and choke was in the proper position (unstuck position to the left). Maybe that is the easy fix.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Yes, it is working. I unstuck the rod and sprayed WD 40 in the hole. Genny started right up. Shut it down. Next day went out and choke was in the proper position (unstuck position to the left). Maybe that is the easy fix.
Probably temporary !!!
Next time try some White Lithium !!!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Probably temporary !!!
Next time try some White Lithium !!!
Hmmm, I'll see how the WD40 hold up before I go spraying anything else in there. I'm not sure what mechanism is even in the choke rod column. I would suspect some type of heat coil/spring thing. White lithium grease can turn into a clumpy wad of unmoving material that does more damage. Maybe someone else wants to try white lithium and see how long it lasts.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Hmmm, I'll see how the WD40 hold up before I go spraying anything else in there. I'm not sure what mechanism is even in the choke rod column. I would suspect some type of heat coil/spring thing. White lithium grease can turn into a clumpy wad of unmoving material that does more damage. Maybe someone else wants to try white lithium and see how long it lasts.
Never had White Lithium clog anything up !!!
WD is a good cleaner & temporary lube !!!
If you are worried about white lithium,,, maybe try a dry lube ???

Tags
generator