Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

I got maintenace free coach batteries

Ok, in the thread under "Appliances and Electronics" I have a thread called, "My MagnaDyne is messed up!"

We figured out that it was my coach battery causing the issue. I had added water once during the summer but never checked the rest of the summer. OOPS, I was very low on water, one of the cells was almost empty.

So, I be-bopped into Les Schwab, a well know, well respected tire and battery chain in the West, and got new coach batteries. Guess what, I got maintenance free (don't have to add water) batteries. Cost me $300 for the pair.

I didn't know you could DO maintenance free batteries in the coach! If Joshua, the Class C rep is reading this, would you please chime in?

Oh yeah. After my experience with the MagnaDyne. I have come to the conclusion that your coach battery affects the following:

Slideouts
MagnaDyne (if you have that)
Quadra Big Foot levelers

If your coach battery is low, or low on water, you will have problems in other areas.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

Good info DSXMac
Old 11-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

Always feels nice when you solve the problem and get something new besides. Good luck with your new batteries.
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

You can use a lot of different type batterys. I'm using glass matt dry type.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

DSXMac,

Sound like exactly what happen to me after my radio/navi issue I found out that my batteries were low replaced them and it did not solve the issue the batteries started to have an issue a few days after I replaced them. I found out that is was the terminals on the battery control box to be the issue. I did complete a DIY that fixes the issue completely and it only cost about 10.00 I will post the DIY to fix the issue if anyone is interested.

~onione
OniOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Maintenance FREE batteries are the WORST choice you could make if you boondock and not a great choice but acceptable if you don't.
1. There is no such thing as a maintenance free DEEP CYCLE battery....at best you'll get a dual purpose battery. (I'm not referring to agm's here which can be both).
2. You are giving up space inside the standard battery casing for an additional water reservoir....this sacrifices plate size and space (cycles) for no maintenance. You're paying for less lead.

If you boondock, I would go right back to that dealer and demand they install proper deep cycle batteries and learn to check the water....or alternatively pay at least double the price for true DEEP CYCLE agm's.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

Yes, please post!

On my case, when I was driving the RV, the MagnaDyne wouldn't play through the dashboard speakers, instead, it was trying to play through my center TV speaker and my subwoofer (that I didn't know I had) under the dinette seat.

It's like...... it was acting like there was a DVD in the slot (for the front TV) when there wasn't one.......

Old 11-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

~Onoione I'm interested never can have to much info post when you can
Old 11-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Main
2. You are giving up space inside the standard battery casing for an additional water reservoir....this sacrifices plate size and space (cycles) for no maintenance. You're paying for less lead.

I don't boondock a lot, just occasionally.

As for space, they fit right under my stair step, didn't take up additional space.....

Old 11-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

DXSMac he was talking about space inside the battery itself more water less lead shorter power life between cycles not the storage compartment
Old 11-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #11

Smile Batteries

In 2013 I replaced the coach batteries in my 2008 Coachman Concord 300TS with Duracell AGM Deep Cycle batteries from Sam's Club and in 2014 replaced the main start battery on the Ford E450 chassis with an AGM battery from Sears. No maintenance and work fine.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I don't boondock a lot, just occasionally.

As for space, they fit right under my stair step, didn't take up additional space.....
My point about space was not that the batteries take up more space...but that the space inside thee battery itself had smaller plates to allow for more water and the maintenance free aspect. You get less lead so shorter battery life and amp hours than the exact same batttery in NON maintenance free design.

Obviously you can do as you see fit...I am simply making the point for others who want longer battery life, DO boondock regularly and want true deep cycle batteries which will typically last at least twice as long as the dual purpose ones in cycle life. Your post mentioned none of the shortcomings of maintenance free wet cell designs...since you were understandably unaware of them. I wanted others to have the full information.
The RIGHT choice for boondockers who want maintenance free is a true deep cycle agm design as others have stated.
...alternatively... a regular wet cell deep cycle battery with an installed pro-fill kit makes watering a simple task for a lot less money....but does not provide the other benefits of an agm.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #13

I think maintenance free is just a come on. When you are checking the oil and other normal things on your motor home it good to pull those caps off and top them up with distilled water.. I have found that in hot weather they tend to go thru more water. Not hard to top the cells off. Make sure you keep the water level above the plates.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sunseeker.
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

The batteries in our 2013 Sunseeker sure look Maintenance free !!!
I see no way to open them ???
Could they be Maintenance free ??? I see no brand name !!!
Unless I remove them ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
The batteries in our 2013 Sunseeker sure look Maintenance free !!!
I see no way to open them ???
Could they be Maintenance free ??? I see no brand name !!!
Unless I remove them ???
Mine looks maintenance free as well but I am not sure it is what came in the coach. I bought it used, only a year old, and it only has one house battery. It is my understanding it should have 2. Also, it doesn't have a bunch of caps like I see on the videos about topping off batteries.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Mine looks maintenance free as well but I am not sure it is what came in the coach. I bought it used, only a year old, and it only has one house battery. It is my understanding it should have 2. Also, it doesn't have a bunch of caps like I see on the videos about topping off batteries.
Dual batteries were an option on older models but became standard sometime during the 2013 model year run. So depending on your units model year it may have only come with one. I rarely camp without hookups so I removed one battery to reduce weight and used it to replace the battery in my toyhauler.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Maybe one went bad,,, and some one just removed it ???
I am not sure you could just remove one of ours,,, there are a lot of cables,,, that hook both in line ???
Your batteries I am guessing are under the steps,,,
and there is room for 2 ???
Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Your batteries I am guessing are under the steps,,,
and there is room for 2 ???
Yes to both questions.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Dual batteries were an option on older models but became standard sometime during the 2013 model year run. So depending on your units model year it may have only come with one. I rarely camp without hookups so I removed one battery to reduce weight and used it to replace the battery in my toyhauler.
Mine is a 2014 model. I would not be surprised if the previous owner took one battery, he took the airbags too.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Mine is a 2014 model. I would not be surprised if the previous owner took one battery, he took the airbags too.
Shirley you are kidding about the airbags,,, Right ???
LOL !!!

Tags
battery