Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

I just got ripped off

I posted last week about how excited I was to purchase a 2021 Sunseeker 3010DS from a dealership in Iowa and then drove it home to Indiana. I put it in storage today and I checked the GPS tracker I bought for it. It's the kind that plugs into the ODB port and records a bunch of info about the vehicle. I was looking at the info that was recorded and I couldn't believe what I saw.

It's actually a 2019. It has the 6.8L V10 engine instead of the V8 that comes with a 2021. As soon as I got home I checked the vin number on carfax.com and it also says its a 2019. I checked all the paperwork and everything says it's a 2021. I checked the NADA website to see what the value of a 2019 was vs a 2021. Let's just say I paid several thousand over what it listed as the average retail. About 20K over what it listed as the low end of retail.

I just know someone is going to tell me the chassis is a 2019 but the coach part built by Forest River may have been built in 2021. I dont care. That was misleading and I didnt get what I paid for.

So what would you do? Call the dealership tomorrow and ask to speak to the sales manager? Contact an attorney?

thanks,

Perry
Old 01-13-2022, 08:17 PM   #2

1. Is it new? 2. What does the title say? 3. what if any is the return policty?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
1. Is it new? 2. What does the title say? 3. what if any is the return policty?
No, I knew it wasn't new. We financed so I dont have a title. I checked all the paperwork they gave me including the bank paperwork and it all says 2021. No idea what the return policy is. I picked it up last saturday so it's been five days.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisk33 View Post
I posted last week about how excited I was to purchase a 2021 Sunseeker 3010DS from a dealership in Iowa and then drove it home to Indiana. I put it in storage today and I checked the GPS tracker I bought for it. It's the kind that plugs into the ODB port and records a bunch of info about the vehicle. I was looking at the info that was recorded and I couldn't believe what I saw.

It's actually a 2019. It has the 6.8L V10 engine instead of the V8 that comes with a 2021. As soon as I got home I checked the vin number on carfax.com and it also says its a 2019. I checked all the paperwork and everything says it's a 2021. I checked the NADA website to see what the value of a 2019 was vs a 2021. Let's just say I paid several thousand over what it listed as the average retail. About 20K over what it listed as the low end of retail.

I just know someone is going to tell me the chassis is a 2019 but the coach part built by Forest River may have been built in 2021. I dont care. That was misleading and I didnt get what I paid for.

So what would you do? Call the dealership tomorrow and ask to speak to the sales manager? Contact an attorney?

thanks,

Perry

Perry, split year models are explained here in a sticky we keep:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-126121.html

and here

https://familyrvingmag.com/2015/08/01/the-age-gap/

I would contact your dealer and see what they can help you on. A word of warning about attorney talk. We will immediately shut down a thread when those words get mentioned:

Read this thread about such, also a sticky:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...own-65127.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #5

So are you running the VIN on the dash (chassis) vs the vin assigned by Forest River (coach)? It's not uncommon on class c that the chassis is 1 or 2 years older than the coach. They bulk order the chassis, then make the rv's out of the stock. Rv's don't necessarily follow car model years that start more in the later half of a year.
Vansteenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:49 PM   #6

Well, I read the sticky. I guess this is allowed. I'm still pissed. They could have told me I was getting the older engine instead of the newer, bigger one.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #7

That V-10 is a beast. We have one in a transport van at work with over 350,000 miles and still going strong.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:03 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Department if Redundancy Department

I’m guessing you signed a POA at the dealership for the title. It is common practice however you gave away the opportunity to check numbers on that title which is out of state. All is not lost. You can contact the finance institution that holds the lien or the IN DMV and verify the numbers on the title. You may have to wait for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn.

Odds are you did get what you paid for. You may not have what you wanted or what you expected however considering I asked you that exact question on 1/7/22 and you did not answer, thats your failure to do your due diligence. I know you don’t want to hear that but its not the end of the world.

So unless you have it in writing that the unit you bought was equipped with the V8 you are at the mercy of the dealership. If you are so unhappy with the V10 then maybe you should contact the IA dealer and, armed with lots of honey, ask if he/she will help you find happiness.

Please consider that from day 1 you got a lot of good advice here.

I have the V10 and 6 speed just like you. After I added the 5 Star tune there is very little difference in performance based on the numbers. Personally, I’m not a fan of push rod technology.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:38 PM   #9

And on the Forest River Website:

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/helpful-tools
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 7.36.55 PM.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	267753  
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 PM   #10

Duckogram what is a 5 star tune?
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:39 PM   #11

Look in the driver's side door jamb for a sticker. It should tell you the model year.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:03 PM   #12
New Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
That V-10 is a beast. We have one in a transport van at work with over 350,000 miles and still going strong.
That V 10 has been tearing up the roads my brother drives-plugs and fuel pump have been the only non-routine issues. Well over 300,000 miles.
mikewindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:10 PM   #13

We didn't realize our 2015 rig was built on a 2014 chassis until we started looking for parts. Then we found that it's a common industry practice since it takes them about a year to build them and get them out to the dealer. My guess is that the process has been delayed due to factory shutdowns. Thus you got a 2021 on a 2019 chassis.
I don't know what your recourse is with the dealer. They don't go by NADA values. You probably don't have much recourse, because the dealer sold you a 2021 rig. The chassis manufacture year doesn't count. Unless he told you that the rig had a bigger engine and you just assumed that it had the bigger engine.....it's going to be your word against his paperwork that you signed.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:48 AM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
Duckogram what is a 5 star tune?
For you it is this: https://5startuning.com/product-cate...8l-rv-class-c/
Old 01-14-2022, 03:04 AM   #15

Hayward

I would get bank involved, they are ripped off until it's paid for. I bet they get results
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #16

Ok, I understand what caused this. I'm not happy about it, especially since there is a two year difference in the model years. I still love the MH we got, I'm just not happy about the lack of disclosure.

Is there a sticker somewhere on the coach part that will tell me when Forest River finished it's part of the build? Just to make sure it is actually a 2021 model?

Just once, i'd like to buy a motor vehicle of some kind without feeling like I took one up the keister
Old 01-14-2022, 07:15 AM   #17

I heard that Ford didn't release a 2020 model of the E-series in order to clear out the inventory. We also have a mis-match, ours was sold to us as a 2017 and the title came back a 2016. Some dealers are more honest than others, I have learned that most RV dealers are worse than your corner buy here pay here. Personally, I wouldn't want the new one in the first two years, Ford has a history of letting folks beta test (anyone want to talk about the 6.0 diesel engine?)
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #18

You didn't get ripped off.Just call Ford and make sure the dealer registered the vrhicle as just purchasrd to get the full warrantythatstarts on the day of delivery. I bought a 2021 2083 FTD [n May and the chassis is a 2018. It had 856 miles on it. I wanted a diesel and i was lucky enough to get one of the last few around.I got the full 6 year warranty from Ford so it's brand new as yours is. They buy chassis in bulk and some times they lay around for a while, Be happy you got one they are kind of scarce right know. Just hope you negotiated a satifactory pride.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #19
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisk33 View Post
Ok, I understand what caused this. I'm not happy about it, especially since there is a two year difference in the model years. I still love the MH we got, I'm just not happy about the lack of disclosure.

Is there a sticker somewhere on the coach part that will tell me when Forest River finished it's part of the build? Just to make sure it is actually a 2021 model?

Just once, i'd like to buy a motor vehicle of some kind without feeling like I took one up the keister
You should be able to find the date of manufacture on the sticker in the drivers door jamb. FR puts them there as required. It will be month and year only.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #20

The chassis is irrelivant as lon as new with full factory warranty, the vehicle is regestered as a 2021Forester,easy enough to check date of chassis manu by vin Number. I felt the same way when I put my down payment on the first diese I found, got all bent out of shape. After a discussion with Jon Pagano from FR I was convinced the deal was good and I did what I thought was good on the price.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote