Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

Ice Maker Operations?

Is there a trick to getting my residential size fridge to make ice? There is a ice maker in it and I was connected to city water but no ice was being made? I tried the the metal rod in both positions but nothing?? Do I need to have the fresh water full and have the pump on? The unit is brand new and I'm not sure if its a warranty problem or manual error!
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #2

There's got to be a valve behind the fridge that would need to be opened for it to get water.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
There's got to be a valve behind the fridge that would need to be opened for it to get water.
That was the exact issue when I picked up RV from the dealer. They could not get the ice maker to work. I came home, checked the forum here and low and behold there is a hidden valve that was turned off. I have a 4 door fridge and to open the valve you have to take out the lower drawer below the stove and reach all the way back towards the wall by the fridge. Your situation could be the same.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

What unit? What refrigerator?

Mine has a valve in the oddest of places. It's a Push/Pull valve that has to be pushed in to work and allow water to go to the feed line for the ice maker. Took me forever to find it (with help here, naturally). It's behind the rear wheel on driver's side!! You gotta lie on your back, wiggle in, to see it.

Why there?

Nottaclue.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

Ok so I found it. I own a 2017 3011ds with the 4 door dometic fridge. You must take out the drawer next to fridge and behind there you will see the blue water pipe with a odd looking white valve that says pull to close. This valve has a small water pipe going up to fridge. It was closed. Hopefully this will do it.
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #6

Let us know if that works !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound40 View Post
Ok so I found it. I own a 2017 3011ds with the 4 door dometic fridge. You must take out the drawer next to fridge and behind there you will see the blue water pipe with a odd looking white valve that says pull to close. This valve has a small water pipe going up to fridge. It was closed. Hopefully this will do it.
Same RV (2016) and it worked for us!
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Chief tinkerer

Also, takes a while (~12+hrs) for it to cycle and purge all the air and get your first cubes. I learned during winterizing that you can slip the end cover off the ice maker, exposing the gears, and manually turn the small gear with a slot screwdriver, which makes a switch and initiates a cycle, which opens the solenoid to let water (or air if winterizing) through. I did this three times with air connected and cleared all the water out of the solenoid, then closed this same valve. When I get all the pink out this spring, I plan to do the same manual cycle to get all the air out, speeding up that first tray of cubes. Should cut the time waaaay down.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote