Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #1

importance of keeping coach batteries charged

As new owners of a used 2011 Sunseeker 2300 we are constantly learning new lessons... oftimes, the hard way... We have learned much from this forum so thought we would share a recent experience that might benefit other newbies ... and ask for advice, as well.
We just returned from a fabulous month long vacation in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks where we dry camped exclusively. At the end of our first week of camping we returned to camp, after a long day of sightseeing in our tow vehicle, to find our coach batteries registering "empty". It was past the designated generator hours, so we drove out of the campground, intending to run the generator long enough to recharge the batteries, but discovered that the batteries were so low, the generator would not start! We also discovered that the refrigerator was not running for the same reason.
Plan B was to drive or idle the engine long enough to acquire the charge needed to start the generator.... but, over an hour later, this still was not possible! At this point it was getting late and we were getting a bit frantic. We finally approached a helpful camp host who attached a quick charge to the battery so we could finally start the generator.
Needless to say, keeping the batteries near fully charged became a priority for the rest of our vacation. We ran the generator a couple of hours each day to accomplish this, although it was hard to know how long was really necessary. Since the monitor shows the batteries as "full" whenever the generator is running, it is difficult to know when the batteries are actually replenished. Is there a suggested amount of time to run the generator to accomplish this without "overdoing" it? Could running the batteries as low as we did do any damage to them?
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #2

Wow exact same thing happen to me on my last trip but happened on the last day and we were only an hour away from home. I think just what you said run the generator every once in a while during the day and they should stay charge for you. When we got home I left it plugged in for three days to fully charge my batteries.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There are many great threads here on battery management and there are some files in the file section as well. Here are some to get you started.

Battery Life and How To Improve It

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

Practical considerations : BATTERIES AND POWER SYSTEMS

Wind Energy Explained: Theory, Design and Application - James F. Manwell, Jon G. McGowan, Anthony L. Rogers - Google Books

I also recommend Amazon.com: Managing 12 Volts: How to Upgrade, Operate, and Troubleshoot 12 Volt Electrical Systems (9780964738614): Harold Barre: Books for your library.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: doc Battery problems.doc (242.0 KB, 27 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery