Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Question In Dash Radio Question

I discovered that the radio/GPS/CD player in my 2013 3010DS is wired hot.
In other words it works with out the key in the ignition or in the ACC position.
Dealer thinks its wired to the house batteries as well as the chassis battery. How can that be.
Wouldn't it have to be one or the other?
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

It is possible that it could be wired to both, you just have to come off the radio and pigtail it to each battery. Maybe they do it that way so you aren't drawing only off the coach battery. There are plenty of ways to wire the radio hot just by using your coach battery though.

Are you wishing they hadn't done it that way?

I had to rewire mine so it was hot all the time. I hate having to use a key to listen to the radio.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

I was told it was wired to my house batteries. The dash unit is your source of audio for the RV living area speakers. It works with your TV too. You put a DVD in the player and the dash unit amplifies your sound system speakers. You are camping and want to listen to Sirius/XM radio the dash unit is your source. There should be a white remote control for it.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #4

FR designed a small circuit that allows the radio to be powered by either house or chassis battery without directly connecting the two batteries together. You can use radio with house battery disconnected by turning key as you would a normal vehicle. You can also use it with house battery on and no need for key on. If you pull the radio you will see a little circuit board attached to the radio power leads.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #5

The radio also feeds the Television. In my Solera, A DVD inserted into the Magnadyne radio can be viewed on the House television. If the radio was wired only into the chassis battery, one would have to have the ignition switched on or to the accessory position - a real inconvenience.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Molly View Post
I discovered that the radio/GPS/CD player in my 2013 3010DS is wired hot.
In other words it works with out the key in the ignition or in the ACC position.
Dealer thinks its wired to the house batteries as well as the chassis battery. How can that be.
Wouldn't it have to be one or the other?
As mentioned above, we have a little relay that senses voltage. That way it will run off the chassis battery like normal, but when parked it will switch to the house batteries...so no need for a key.

Just make sure when you want to turn it off (you don't just turn it down as it will continue to draw power). Push and hold the power button (top left) for about 3 seconds. It will beep and power down.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Thanks Form The Info

Thanks for the info.
Now it makes some sense.
As always - great response's
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote