Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2022, 05:48 PM   #1

In House and In line water filters

Dumb question…what does everyone do with their water filters in between uses? After a weekend, do you pull the house filter and empty the in-line and put it bag and refrigerate or leave in camper until next time out?
Frankh0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:51 PM   #2

It depends on what the manufacturer recommends for storage. We've pulled ours, put it in the plastic bag and refrigerated it to inhibit bacteria growth based on manufacturers recommendations. I need to check our new unopened one and see what they recommend now.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #3
tux

I leave them in. I have built a custom setup with a softener, pre-filter, and post-filter (all before the house filter). The softener manufacturer actually explicitly states never let the unit dry out. I just run a few tbsp of bleach through the pre-filter housing to flush everything out after every season and it's good to go.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:03 PM   #4
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankh0112 View Post
Dumb question…what does everyone do with their water filters in between uses? After a weekend, do you pull the house filter and empty the in-line and put it bag and refrigerate or leave in camper until next time out?
Not a dumb question at all...we put our filter in a ziploc bag and refrigerate. It gets far too hot in the trailer and storage compartments between trips.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:01 AM   #5

Thanks! That’s what I did this time.
Frankh0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:24 AM   #6

I did away with our in house filter after spilling a quart of water when removing it. I now use two filters (5 micron followed by 1 micron) mounted outside. The manufacturer (GE) said it was ok to refrigerate for as long as I would keep any fresh produce - about 2 weeks. After that discard them.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #7

Ours is in a very small cabinet next to bed. There is no way i will remove the canister, spill water all over the floor after every trip. It goes in in the spring and stays until i winterize. Just too much hassle.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
WFD

I should clarify from my previous post. I also bypassed our onboard filter and got rid of it. We just use an exterior filter now. Too many horror stories with the onboard filters and I don't need the hassle of a leak. Our exterior filter goes into a ziploc bag in the fridge between trips.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:49 AM   #9

Water filter in our Roo goes in in the Spring and comes out when the trailer goes into storage in the Fall. Never give it a thought otherwise. Only potable water runs thru the system and that's usually chlorinated from city sources either from the freshwater tank or via the city water hose connection. It's like drinking water at home. Water needs to be clean. It does not need to be sterile.

-- Chuck
Old 05-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Water filter in our Roo goes in in the Spring and comes out when the trailer goes into storage in the Fall. Never give it a thought otherwise. Only potable water runs thru the system and that's usually chlorinated from city sources either from the freshwater tank or via the city water hose connection. It's like drinking water at home. Water needs to be clean. It does not need to be sterile.

-- Chuck
X2. I couldn't have said it any better.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #11
Scoundrel

Bypassed ours and simply use an inline filter. However, I might suggest that you not touch or handle your inhouse filter much at all. You do carry bacteria on your hands and handling your filter runs the risk of introducing unwanted bacteria into your plumbing system. Even when using nitrile gloves there is a chance the glove material will contact a contaminated surface.

Leave the filter in place until its ready to be changed.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #12
tux

Just a thought for the potential leak issues in the basement area where the filter resides... I use a basic water alarm in there to detect if there is significant leaking. Works like a charm and is like 10 bucks on Amazon. A little bit won't trigger it based on the area in question, but if there is a major issue, it will go off.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
Commercial Member

thanks to all the forum members for great responses.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:17 PM   #14

For the Dynamax Isata 3 FW the filter was only used when filling the fresh water tank from the exterior water connection. Since I only use gravity fill, I use an external filter and removed/bypassed the internal one. It's just another potential leak and was difficult to remove without dumping water like others said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Filter_3.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	274197  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Put our setup in the refrigerator between trips

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
And I hope he's right cuz that's what I do.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter