Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #41

WE started our current trip using my Verizon iPhone as a hot spot, it worked OK but if the device connected to it wasn't pulling data, after a little while it would shut off that connection and the device would have to be reconnected. It wasn't a big deal but I have a Verzion MiFi Hot Spot also, so we started using that and it was worked really well no disconnects for inactivity on the kids iPads...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Not sure what the concern is with what towers are used (Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile) We are talking about getting Internet when driving down the road. Most , maybe all Interstates are covered by just about all carriers unless you are out in Montana, Wyoming and other empty space states.

OP still needs to clarify what he wants. The side issues (foreign country) are drifting a bit off topic IMO)

Republic still has plans starting at $10 a month

No cell phone has 100% coverage over 100% of the US land territory. Each has plus and minus so it is important to clearly identify what you want/need before shopping.
I'm the op, Here's the original question, What do you use to have access to internet when driving for checking gas buddy, google maps, campground info etc. and the cost of your plan if you don't mind sharing?
I thought it was fairly clear but let me clarify. When you are driving down the road in your rv and want to use the internet , what device or service do you use? I have a lot of answers and I'm now researching to find the best option for us. I appreciate all the input. Thanks
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Just having access to Internet to run GasBuddy or RVParkReviews a similar app/program is not the same as having a "hotspot". Which is it you really want/need?
I'm not sure I understand your point. If you are driving down the highway, As far as I know you need cell signal to access the internet. That is either going to come from your smart phone or portable hotspot. Do you know of another option?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #44

Sorry KyFan, didn't pay close enough attention to your original post. My Verizon Mifi, is what we use now to access the internet on the road for everything. We went with unlimited LTE data on the Verizon MiFi for $120 a month. I also use it for work when not driving. You can get the $120 a month unlimited LTE data off eBay, if you are thinking of going that way.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. If you are driving down the highway, As far as I know you need cell signal to access the internet. That is either going to come from your smart phone or portable hotspot. Do you know of another option?
Thanks
All you need is a modern cell phone with web browsing capabilities and Web apps. an I phone or an Android based phone and a cell service that has a data plan with it. You can also get a tablet with a data plan. A tablet actually has its own phone number and uses the data plan from a cell provider.

You can either get a no contract monthly plan or a contract plan.

There are two types of signals GMS and CDMA the two major GMS providers are AT&T and T-Mobile the two major CDMA providers are Sprint and Version. there are numerour smaller companies but most will lease bandwidth from the major players.

What kind of service you need really depends on what you plan on using the internet for and where you need the access from. If you are on major highways you will get service from any of the major players. In rural areas some are better than others. Then there are areas where no one will get cell service. Should you want service there your only choice is Satellite service.

hopefully reading this article will help you understand the different optons. Take some time to learn as much as possible.

Best Low-Cost Cell Phone Plans - Consumer Reports

You need to be more specific on your data needs before anyone can give you a definitive answer to your questions.

Hope this helps

FWI, WE recently purchased our Motor Home but prior to that have traveled to most every state south of Michigan and East of the Mississippi. There are only a few places where we did not have a T-mobile/AT&T signal for voice and text. Every evening we would have free WIFI in the motels. We could always get free WIFI at most any major restaurant chain.

We have a pay as you go WIFI hotspot in Murelene's Equinox. We purchase data at $15 for 1 meg of data. Our last purchase was in October 2015. The only time we use the pay as you go signal is when other service wasn't available or I needed to use my laptop computer to access the internet. It has been over a year since we made that purchase and we still have 200 meg left on the account.

1 gig data = 250 four meg pictures posted to facebook
1 gig data = 1000 one meg web pages
1 gig data = 10,000 one hundred byte emails

1 two hour movie = 6 gigs data usage
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #46

Question below. We have T-Mobile and do a bit of boon docking camping in Utah. One of our outings there was no T-Mobile service but it let us use AT&T up to a certain amount of data which was great for the weekend since we have to keep in touch with my wife's business while out of town . When we go to one of our other favorite camp spots there is no T-Mobile coverage but we know there is an AT&T tower in the area but our T-Mobile phones will not connect to it. Anyone have any ideas why it would work in one area and not the other?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #47

Thanks to all, and to you ShermanD for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. I am probably going to give the Verizon Jetpack a try, and see how that works.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #48
Always Learning

Kyfan, see if this helps:
Learn To RV: Mobile Internet on the Road

Longest story shortest: I use AT&T and a 15gb plan for 3 iPhones and an idle hotspot (I use this one as a backup) @ $235/month (though 2 phones are on the NEXT payment plan). I also use a Verizon Jetpack hotspot on an unlimited data plan (I use this one as my primary) @ $70/month. The hotspots are connected to my WifiRanger and all of my devices connect to that (more info).

We use this for our Internet needs when stationary and traveling down the road. When stationary, we often stream video content from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Youtube. When mobile, my son will occasionally watch shows online. Of course, this is all dependent on the speed of service- often times, it is fast enough for streaming video, but there have been quite a few times where it wasn't.

I've found places where I have had better/faster AT&T coverage vs. Verizon and vice versa. I've found places where neither worked. A cellular booster can be very helpful with all of this. I'm sensitive to Internet speeds as I need Internet for work at my 9-5 job.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Longest story shortest: I use AT&T and a 15gb plan for 3 iPhones and an idle hotspot (I use this one as a backup) @ $235/month (though 2 phones are on the NEXT payment plan). I also use a Verizon Jetpack hotspot on an unlimited data plan (I use this one as my primary) @ $70/month. The hotspots are connected to my WifiRanger and all of my devices connect to that (more info).

We use this for our Internet needs when stationary and traveling down the road. When stationary, we often stream video content from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Youtube. When mobile, my son will occasionally watch shows online. Of course, this is all dependent on the speed of service- often times, it is fast enough for streaming video, but there have been quite a few times where it wasn't.

I've found places where I have had better/faster AT&T coverage vs. Verizon and vice versa. I've found places where neither worked. A cellular booster can be very helpful with all of this. I'm sensitive to Internet speeds as I need Internet for work at my 9-5 job.
Thanks for the link. I'm interested in the Verizon Jetpack unlimited plan you have. I believe I've read that Verizon has stopped supplying unlimited data plans, but long time customers may be grandfathered in. Have you been with Verizon a long time?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm interested in the Verizon Jetpack unlimited plan you have. I believe I've read that Verizon has stopped supplying unlimited data plans, but long time customers may be grandfathered in. Have you been with Verizon a long time?
Thanks
No, only since the beginning of the year or so. Verizon won't issue any new unlimited lines for personal use, but there is quite the aftermarket of people selling/buying them. It's a very steep up-front fee ($400-1,500) one-time and after that, you have a less expensive monthly cost directly from Verizon.

The alternative is to find someone who is leasing their account and rent from them. This has a much lower start-up cost ($0-200) but a higher monthly cost ($120-200).
Old 07-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #51

Quote:
No, only since the beginning of the year or so. Verizon won't issue any new unlimited lines for personal use, but there is quite the aftermarket of people selling/buying them. It's a very steep up-front fee ($400-1,500) one-time and after that, you have a less expensive monthly cost directly from Verizon.

The alternative is to find someone who is leasing their account and rent from them. This has a much lower start-up cost ($0-200) but a higher monthly cost ($120-200).
I can see that is a good alternative for you needing internet for work. I'm not sure it would be worth it for us just for video streaming, but after we've been on the road a while, we may change our minds. I appreciate you explaining the plans and providing these options.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Unless something has changed the "off brand" services (Straightalk, Consumer, Republic, etc.), are compatible with either Verizon/Sprint or AT&T/T-Mobile, but not both. ATT and T-Mobile use the GSM protocol while the others use the older TDMA (or CDMA) technology. GSM is a worldwide standard so it's rare to get a Verizon linked phone to work outside of North America.

So, Straightalk is probably using ATT and T-Mobile towers since it works where Verizon didn't. Coverage at my home is almost non existent with either network. I had an ATT M-Cell installed but since wifi calling became available I usually use that now.
A bit of clarification...

StaightTalk provides connection to either CDMA or GSM networks, depending on which SIM/provider is chosen. I have a Moto X Pure which has both CDMA and GSM radios so when I purchased a StraightTalk SIM for it, I was able to choose. My previous phone was GSM only and ATT service was a bit spotty at home so I opted for the CDMA/Verizon SIM and service has been a bit better at home.

So, depending on which SIM is purchased will determine which towers/system is used.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #53

This thread got me thinking about alternatives to the ATT plans. Maybe someone here has some info about T-Mobile.

I just talked to them and explained I wanted to set up one of my spare iPhones as a hot spot, meaning data only, no talk or text. Using that hotspot I will connect the Amazon Fire and the Apple TV to the phone to view streaming video on the big screen TV. they said I could get the six gig data only plan for $30 a month and it would include additional unlimited streaming for the apps on the devices. The basic six gigs LTE would be used for emails, web browsing, etc., and it rolls over unused data up to a 20 gig cap.

Plus, the plan can be turned on and off as needed--no contracts. Anyone have experience with that system and plan?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
A tablet actually has its own phone number and uses the data plan from a cell provider.
Sherman, since tablets came out, I've wondered why I can't use one as a phone. Can you let me know what tablet, and what provider, you use that the tablet has a phone number, and how it uses a cell signal? I was under the impression tablets only functioned with wifi...........

EDIT: Sherm, never mind. Google is my friend. I found a couple that work via LTE (Gen 4 cell network).....(But for data only, no phone).

Thanks.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #55
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Sherman, since tablets came out, I've wondered why I can't use one as a phone. Can you let me know what tablet, and what provider, you use that the tablet has a phone number, and how it uses a cell signal? I was under the impression tablets only functioned with wifi...........

EDIT: Sherm, never mind. Google is my friend. I found a couple that work via LTE (Gen 4 cell network).....(But for data only, no phone).

Thanks.
Your edit is what I had. Our initial iPad purchase had cellular data support and could be added to my phone plan directly. We never did it, though.

That said, you could definitely use a VoIP solution on a data-only device.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #56

Yeah, and I guess you could Skype (or whatever) with a wifi tablet connection.....also. Or VoIP or just internet voice. But not sure any of them use the cell network for voice connections in the traditional sense. However, I didn't even know they now used the cell network directly for data, so I'm obviously way behind the times.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #57

Quote:

Warning---thread drift.

Curious about the WiFi Ranger. My current setup is a Netgear router mounted in a cabinet in the front bedroom. It has no internet connection and is used solely to create a wifi setup that allows me to view the rear camera on my iPhone or iPad (sometimes both at once). I use the Sharx security camera because it has the highest resolution on any "backup" camera, at least the affordable ones, and it allows viewing with any phone or laptop. The built in six hour recording function is a bonus.

The question is would the WiFi Ranger, in addition to its normal functions, see the camera and allow the phone/tablet to connect to it?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #58
Always Learning

Quote:
Warning---thread drift.

Curious about the WiFi Ranger. My current setup is a Netgear router mounted in a cabinet in the front bedroom. It has no internet connection and is used solely to create a wifi setup that allows me to view the rear camera on my iPhone or iPad (sometimes both at once). I use the Sharx security camera because it has the highest resolution on any "backup" camera, at least the affordable ones, and it allows viewing with any phone or laptop. The built in six hour recording function is a bonus.

The question is would the WiFi Ranger, in addition to its normal functions, see the camera and allow the phone/tablet to connect to it?

Yep. I use my WifiRanger as the backbone of my network. I have a variety of devices connected to it and don't always have internet serving it (I have a media server/wifi hard drive that I ripped my dvd library to).
Old 07-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #59

Nothing in this world is FREE

Quote:
they said I could get the six gig data only plan for $30 a month and it would include additional unlimited streaming for the apps on the devices.
Read the FINE PRINT.

To ensure that we’re providing a great experience for our customers, customers who use more than 26GB of data in a bill cycle will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to other customers for that bill cycle at times and locations when competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds see t-mobile.com/OpenInternet for details

You are purchasing a 6 gig high speed data plan On the T-mobile network after the 6 gigs, your speed is limited and will be acceptable for viewing web pages but not for streaming video.

We have been with T-Mobile for 15 years and have learned all their tricks over that time.

I had a chance to add a "FREE" tablet for "$10" a month...

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? It was

How it worked was, you got the tablet, paid about $35 activation fee. then paid about $20 a month for the tablet, and another $10 a month plus all kinds of "FINE PRINT" fees for the service for the "NEXT TWO YEARS". Each month you would receive a credit of $20 a month for the cost of the tablet. Cancel early, meant all kinds of early termination fees and the loss of all those $20 credits.

All of the carriers try and entice you with " FREEBIES"

nothing in this world is free!!!

Go to this page, click on tablets, and then read the user agreement conditions and the print at the bottom of the page...now remember a 2 hour movie uses 6 gig

Mobile Broadband Unlimited Data Plans w/ No Annual Contract | T-Mobile

Do we plan on leaving T-mobile,,,NO,we have a great grandfathered family plan that includes 6 gig high speed with unlimited restricted speed data on the T-mobile network. We get 50 meg roaming data.

Murelene pays $137 per month total bill which includes payments for 2 -LG G4 phones.

If you can find a carrier that offers unlimited high speed roaming data. Please let the world know.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post

Read the FINE PRINT.

To ensure that we’re providing a great experience for our customers, customers who use more than 26GB of data in a bill cycle will have their data usage de-prioritized compared to other customers for that bill cycle at times and locations when competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds see t-mobile.com/OpenInternet for details

You are purchasing a 6 gig high speed data plan On the T-mobile network after the 6 gigs, your speed is limited and will be acceptable for viewing web pages but not for streaming video.

We have been with T-Mobile for 15 years and have learned all their tricks over that time.

I had a chance to add a "FREE" tablet for "$10" a month...

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? It was

How it worked was, you got the tablet, paid about $35 activation fee. then paid about $20 a month for the tablet, and another $10 a month plus all kinds of "FINE PRINT" fees for the service for the "NEXT TWO YEARS". Each month you would receive a credit of $20 a month for the cost of the tablet. Cancel early, meant all kinds of early termination fees and the loss of all those $20 credits.

All of the carriers try and entice you with " FREEBIES"

nothing in this world is free!!!

Go to this page, click on tablets, and then read the user agreement conditions and the print at the bottom of the page...now remember a 2 hour movie uses 6 gig

Mobile Broadband Unlimited Data Plans w/ No Annual Contract | T-Mobile

Do we plan on leaving T-mobile,,,NO,we have a great grandfathered family plan that includes 6 gig high speed with unlimited restricted speed data on the T-mobile network. We get 50 meg roaming data.

Murelene pays $137 per month total bill which includes payments for 2 -LG G4 phones.

If you can find a carrier that offers unlimited high speed roaming data. Please let the world know.
I'm not interested in any tablet plans. If I want/need data on my iPads I use the hotspot features of the iPhone.

T-Mobile explained to me that streaming Netfliz or Amazon prime would not count against the six gig data but other uses of the data features (i.e., downloading movies or gigantic files) would be slowed once the six gig limit was reached. I'll check on the 26 gig thing.

Tags
service