Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Inverter

I am about to set off on a 6 week trip, is it feasable to install an inverter to run the outside fridge only? This would save having to run the generator for the full 6 weeks. We will be driving almost every day so we could run inside fridge on gas and outside on inverter. Or is it better to just use the generator every day?
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

Inverter

Gasgastwo I've run a inverter to run my fridge for about 6 yrs .you need to find out the watts on your fridge . I use a 400 watt inverter. It works great. You. Need to remember to change the plug between the inverter and the house outlet . We would stop to grocery shop and let the inverter run for about an hour never had a problem.Wife doesn't like the idea of the gas running while driving down the road.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #3

It may already be wired to power your 120V outside outlet from the converter/inverter.

You maybe be able to do what you are thinking about. You will have to put some thought to rate of discharge due while you are driving, rate of charge while you are driving. I suspect you will be discharging faster that you are charging. How I will approach the problem:
Look at my full battery capacity, in this example 100 Ah; 50 Ah usable at 50%; discharge while driving -10A
charge while driving +2 ; net discharge is -8A
50Ah / 8 A = 6.25 Hours to get to 50%

You might consider adding a solar panel to top which will help to reduce your net discharge.

In summary, the decision is really about how many cold beverages you need when you are getting to where you are going.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersb View Post
Gasgastwo I've run a inverter to run my fridge for about 6 yrs .you need to find out the watts on your fridge . I use a 400 watt inverter. It works great. You. Need to remember to change the plug between the inverter and the house outlet . We would stop to grocery shop and let the inverter run for about an hour never had a problem.Wife doesn't like the idea of the gas running while driving down the road.
I just read the manual for the trailer I am buying. Big safety message!

DANGER
Be sure the furnace and all ignition systems are off
during refueling and while the vehicle is in motion.

I will be sure to heed this and other warnings.

Tags
inverter