Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #1

Inverter / Battery Compartment (Other than step well)

I'm looking to install an Inverter (probably a 2000 watt pure sine wave) - I'm looking for options of best place to install it. Hoping to be pretty close to batteries which leads to question 2 - anyone ever move their batteries out of step well? Where did you put them?

On my 2019 Forester the propane tank is immediately left of the stairwell - to the right are a couple of storage areas.

Thanks in advance!

-Sam
sbentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

You have plenty of room in the two compartments on either side of the battery compartment to the install an inverter.

Curious as to why a Forester would need a 2k watt inverter unless you’re planning to change to a residential refrigerator.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Honestly not 100% sure sizing; I'll have a couple of laptops and tablets for the kids to charge, a coffee maker, the microwave, my CPAP over night - maybe a fan. Probably overkill but the cost doesn't make it too bad to over-size; but the physical size of it may...

Do you think it'd be fine in the to put the inverter under the fridge (if it'll fit) ?
sbentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

A 2000 watt inverter powering the microwave can pull a ton of power. As much as 160 amps.

Therefore, make the lines to the battery bank as short and big as possible. 12 volt line loss is awful.

American welding wire 2/0. Chinese wire often skimp on number of strands and size.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #5

You can get 300-400 watt pure sine wave inverters for way under $100 on Amazon. Except for the microwave and coffee pot that’s all you should need. I have one in the forward tech cabinet and another in the bedroom TV cabinet. Either one could charge several laptops at once while also powering a CPAP thing. There are USB and 12v outlets all over the Foresters for phones and tablets.

All the current wiring joins at the stepwell and under the refrigerator. If you start messing with that space you’re going to create a lot of problems. Forester did a good job laying out the electrical system. Adding to it is OK but modifying it is just not a good idea.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

[QUOTE=tomkatb;2081174]A 2000 watt inverter powering the microwave can pull a ton of power. As much as 160 amps.

it won't use 160 amps. you might be saying thru the use all day long, still don't think so.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Theoretically the 2000 watt inverter unit could draw about 160 amps. Thus one should use the approximate fuse to protect the wire from fire.

P=IV.

A microwave could easily draw over 100 amps per hour. Remember this is dc amps plus 15%. A microwave could wipe out a standard 12 volt battery pretty quick. 25 minutes or so.

Coffee pots use a bunch as well.

Got to learn to use the math. Most folks fail to understand how poor a source of electricity a battery is. Our inability to store electricity is one reason solar doesn’t work very well many places.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

There’s an easy solution called a generator.

Tags
battery, forester, inverter