Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Is it a Ford Problem or Forest River Problem

So, hooking up the Toad today we go to check the turn signals and brake lights on the Toad. They were working fine, but the RV not at all.

So the only rear lights we had were on the Toad... and the backup lights on the RV. No tail lights, brake lights or turn signals on the RV.

Two questions:
1. Is this a Ford chassis issue or a FR RV issue?
2. Any one know a fix for this or where to even start. I looked for fuses for these lights and found none.

HELP?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

Sounds like a blown fuse. Should be a chassis issue. Do you have your Ford Manual which should show you location of fuses for this function? Usually in Driver side fuse panel by feet.

If yours is an E450 Ford chassis...here's a link to the available manuals:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...014/Ford/E-450
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

I once had 3 of 4 bulbs blow on our Sunseeker 3100 while driving in heavy rain. Water got into the taillights and shattered the hot bulbs. I put a bead of RTV sealant around the top and sides of the lenses and haven't had a problem since. Ours is a 2011 model with the old incandescent bulbs. If you have LED'S, that problem may not apply.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

20a Fuse. Under the hood. Use the manual to find the location.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiniii View Post
20a Fuse. Under the hood. Use the manual to find the location.
Found it. Changed it. No joy.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Dumb question... But did you check the lights on the RV with the Toad disconnected? From reading I couldn't tell.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #7

Yes, we checked that. First item actually.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Tough question. Ford provides a chassis to FR which has working taillights and associated wiring. FR then modifies the Ford arrangement to fit the coach and its taillight. The only other thing I can suggest is to try and trace the wiring from the taillight to the chassis fuse box, as there may be a connector that has become unplugged. It could even be under the dash.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #9

If the lights on the toad are working, I would check the "plug n play" harness connector for the harness that was installed for you to plug in the toad. Ford has a plug under the rear that a "trailer" harness can be "T'd" into. Since you didn't mention that the marker lights & front parking lights were out, I would start at that connector.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
If the lights on the toad are working, I would check the "plug n play" harness connector for the harness that was installed for you to plug in the toad. Ford has a plug under the rear that a "trailer" harness can be "T'd" into. Since you didn't mention that the marker lights & front parking lights were out, I would start at that connector.
The only lights not working are the RV's tail lights, brake lights and turn signals. The side markers, front lights/signals and clearance lights all work. The only thing working on the rear of the RV are the backup lights. Everything works on the toad.

I'm going to look at a few other things then call in a repair person.

Forest River tells me it's not a Ford problem but a FR problem.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #11
Land of the Midnightsun

We own a 2016 concord and it sets on a E450 and pulls a jeep. I figured out that the plug in on back of Moho ( that power jeep lights ) has a separate wiring harness that runs to fuse box under Moho hood. Different than Moho lights. So your jeep can be good and Moho lights can be out. Look online for schematic for your fuse box and grab test light and run your fuses. More than likely it gonna be the short box looking fuse. I had same prob but reverse. Jeep lights out and Moho good. Little patience and you'll get it. Hope this helps
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #12

Go to this web page and download the Body Builder Layout Book, Electrical, for your model year. It shows the wiring harnesses, connector configuration and wire identification. If your year model isn't shown or doesn't download, try the nearest model year the works. They didn't change the wiring much from year to year, especially the basic things like taillights.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html
Old 09-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Land of the Midnightsun

Ford E-Series E-450 E450 (from 2015) – fuse box diagram | Auto Genius There's your fuse box
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
Class C Representative

We have been discussing this Via PM.

Until we get the issue diagnosed we cannot lay fault on anyone. Once we get the issue diagnosed we can go from there and decide where, if any fault lies. It could just be an unplugged harness.

If your back up lights work, your toad lights work, but your brake lights do not I would start working towards your toad harness and tracing the wires back to the source of power.

PS. Though I am here discussing Forest River Product I am no more a part of Forest River than you are. When I am here it is of my own free will, time, and knowledge.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Thanks for the link. I have the manual with me but it is easier to read on this website.

Problem is none of the fuses listed are simply labeled "stop lamp/turn signal." There is one labeled: "Trailer tow stop lamp/turn signal" and that's the fuse I changed. It would make sense that this is the correct fuse for the Toad's lights. There is also one labeled distinctly as "backup light" so it's obviously the backup light and not a trailer tow backup light. But no other fuse for stop lights and turn signals.

Seems odd to me that there isn't one labeled without the "trailer tow" description.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #16

If you have the passenger compartment fuse panel what about fuse #6, Turn signal, Hazard, Stop lamps.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #17

OP stated that he has NO lights on the rear of the Motorhome, not even simple taillights. That would be a separate fuse/circuit.

I would still closely inspect the harness at the rear of the Motorhome for something that has come unplugged....especially if no fuses are blown. That would rule out a dead short situation & lead me to a connection problem since both taillight & stop/turn/brake lights are inoperative.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you have the passenger compartment fuse panel what about fuse #6, Turn signal, Hazard, Stop lamps.
Yeah, I found that - the fuse is good.

I guess it must be the wiring. Since the front turn signals work and it looks like front and back are on the same fuse.

It not my favorite thing to crawl under the RV on a gravel pad in the pouring rain here in Wash D.C. (College Park, MD). So I may have to hire someone. We're visiting my daughter this week and only see her twice a year. I don't want to spend my time crawling around under the RV and not visiting her.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I would still closely inspect the harness at the rear of the Motorhome for something that has come unplugged....especially if no fuses are blown.
Any idea where this plug might be?? Under the RV? Inside the large rear storage area???
Old 09-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

My guess is that the wiring connectors for taillights are along the inside of the left side frame. Check the Body Builder Layout Book. I posted a link for the list of them previously in this thread. It shows where the Ford harness stops.

Tags
ford, forest river