Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Is it our air bag suspension pressure?

We were driving back from a weekend away in our 2013 3011DS Forester and it seemed that every time we hit a bump the back end hit really hard. It doesn't feel like there is any give in the suspension of the back end. Would this be the air bags having the wrong pressure? and what would be the correct pressure for these air bags.
Thanks so much - Pat

2013 Forester 3011DS
Pat and Ted
Ontario, Canada
patted1571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Depending on mileage, you may need new shocks in the rear. I run my bags between 70 and 100 depending if I tow my car trailer, or fresh water tank full. If you have over 25000 miles, and haven't changed your front shocks, do them also. I used the Bilsteins. World of difference over stock.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

I run 60 PSi in my air bags, anything above that pressure seems to be to harsh, And i pulled a gooseneck with a dozer on it. The truck drove good and the truck was nice and level.
divers6926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Thank you. Will check the pressure and if that doesn't help, maybe we'll change the shocks.

2013 Forester 3011DS
Pat and Ted
Ontario, Canada
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

Talking about a class c with the long overhang in the back. Pick up a,different animal.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Yeah, sounds like you need to check the pressure in your bags. If it's good, then shocks would be next in my book. My air bags have a tendency to bleed off after a couple of days. Picked up a 3-gallon compressor at Harbor Freight for about $40. That will take care of the tires, too. I normally run about 70 #'s in my bags.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

You need to check the airbag pressure. I'm going against the tide here and saying the pressure is too low and you are bottoming out. Without adequate pressure, your rig may be sitting too low on the suspension. With bumps, there is too little distance between the frame and the axle and it can be bone jarring.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #8

X2!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #9

70 psi with a 1/3 or half tank of water feels comfortable for us !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

2015 DS3011 Also

We normally start out trips out with 1/3rd fresh water tank full and tow dolly for our Sonata. If water doesn't taste good where we are going, ie Alamogordo, NM . . . I fill our tank up. Of course, gray is totally empty and black just has a gallon with chemicals. That way any water used on trip doesn't change weight. I normally run 80 psi in my air bags. And yes, you need to check the pressure every few days. I keep a portable air compressor just for this job, but it is capable to fill my tires at 80psi also Enjoy.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #11

E350 SD, no air bags, full fw tank (50 gal), full fuel tank (55 gal), rides like a Cadillac.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
E350 SD, no air bags, full fw tank (50 gal), full fuel tank (55 gal), rides like a Cadillac.
Must be much shorter then we are on an E350. We are E450 Super Duty, much longer overhand at the rear which equates to leverage on rear suspension.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Talking about a class c with the long overhang in the back. Pick up a,different animal.
We love our 3011DS. We can't complain about any problems, the only thing was the shower cracked the second year and the dealer installed a new one - no charge. In fact they haven't charged for anything that needed to be done - Open Roads RV in Ottawa Canada - best dealer ever!!!!

2013 Forester 3011DS
Pat and Ted
Ontario, Canada
Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #14

I run ours @ about 70 psi,,, or I should say we start out @ about 70psi,,,
I need to check ours every 300 miles or so,,, they are normally down to about 40 psi !!!
So I carry a small tire inflater !!!
If you want more info you could search Air Bags here on the FROG Site !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #15

I was running my bags at about 45 psi and it felt like it was bottoming out on big bumps. I then increased the pressure to 65-70 psi and it rides much better now. I have old shocks though so you may not need the extra psi with new shocks.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I run ours @ about 70 psi,,, or I should say we start out @ about 70psi,,,
I need to check ours every 300 miles or so,,, they are normally down to about 40 psi !!!
So I carry a small tire inflater !!!
If you want more info you could search Air Bags here on the FROG Site !!!
Are you losing air on both bags? You may want to use dish soap solution on you connections and on the stem valves. There is really not a lot of air volume and a small leak will drain the pressure. Sometimes, a valve will not seat properly.If you don't find a leak, I would suggest replacing the core valves and using quality valve caps. They are both pretty cheap and may well solve your problem. Apparently, there two lengths of core valves. The shorter has the higher performance.

Over the years, we have had Firestone Ride-Rites on 3 pickups and the 2500TS. Only once did a bag deflate. It was aired back up and never leaked since.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Are you losing air on both bags? You may want to use dish soap solution on you connections and on the stem valves. There is really not a lot of air volume and a small leak will drain the pressure. Sometimes, a valve will not seat properly.If you don't find a leak, I would suggest replacing the core valves and using quality valve caps. They are both pretty cheap and may well solve your problem. Apparently, there two lengths of core valves. The shorter has the higher performance.

Over the years, we have had Firestone Ride-Rites on 3 pickups and the 2500TS. Only once did a bag deflate. It was aired back up and never leaked since.
I have checked valve stems,,, leak seems to be somewhere else ???
To make a long story short I think I drove it home from the dealership with maybe no air in the bags ??? And yes they both seem to loose about the same amount of pressure ???
Old 08-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
I have checked valve stems,,, leak seems to be somewhere else ???
To make a long story short I think I drove it home from the dealership with maybe no air in the bags ??? And yes they both seem to loose about the same amount of pressure ???
This is a pretty simple system. I would doubt your bags are damage in the short term, unless they delivered it from the factory with deflated bags. I will give Firestone credit, their bags are pretty bullet proof and will take a lot of abuse. If the bags were ruptured, they would not hold air at all. Though both bags are losing the same pressure, you may be looking at a common cause. They may include:
1. The adapter fitting threads at the air bag were not properly sealed with Mylar tape.
2. The hose connecting the fittings at the bags or at the air valve were not squared off or/they were not pushed in far enough to make a proper seal. Improper seal, slow leak.
3. The air valves are leaking.

It appears you covered the bases with the valves. I know it's a pain, but there is a fix. It may be that just forcing the hose into each connection may seat them. But, if the hose ends are not cut square, they will not fully seat. The fittings have a shark bite type connection than can be released by pushing toward the hose. You can do this with small needle nose pliers or stout tweezers. It works best if you can push to release on opposite sides of the shark bite fitting. It would take an hour plus, a few pleasantries, and a couple of scraped knuckles to reseal the fitting to the bag with an adequate Mylar tape seal and go over the connections making square end cuts on the hose at each fitting, then making certain that the hose is fully seated in the fitting.

Your 2500TS is a pretty decent coach. The air bags are a necessity, but to you, a pain in the posterior. It would be well worth the effort to fix it once an for all and not have to think about it. Firestone Ride-Rite has the fitting parts if necessary. It may be best to spend a few bucks and have it done by someone with a hoist. It would be time and money well spent.

Sometimes. I put up with something that nags me for a long time. Then one day, I just decide to do it. Then, I wonder why I waited so long, because the fix was so easy. But then, history repeats itself.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
This is a pretty simple system. I would doubt your bags are damage in the short term, unless they delivered it from the factory with deflated bags. I will give Firestone credit, their bags are pretty bullet proof and will take a lot of abuse. If the bags were ruptured, they would not hold air at all. Though both bags are losing the same pressure, you may be looking at a common cause. They may include:
1. The adapter fitting threads at the air bag were not properly sealed with Mylar tape.
2. The hose connecting the fittings at the bags or at the air valve were not squared off or/they were not pushed in far enough to make a proper seal. Improper seal, slow leak.
3. The air valves are leaking.

It appears you covered the bases with the valves. I know it's a pain, but there is a fix. It may be that just forcing the hose into each connection may seat them. But, if the hose ends are not cut square, they will not fully seat. The fittings have a shark bite type connection than can be released by pushing toward the hose. You can do this with small needle nose pliers or stout tweezers. It works best if you can push to release on opposite sides of the shark bite fitting. It would take an hour plus, a few pleasantries, and a couple of scraped knuckles to reseal the fitting to the bag with an adequate Mylar tape seal and go over the connections making square end cuts on the hose at each fitting, then making certain that the hose is fully seated in the fitting.

Your 2500TS is a pretty decent coach. The air bags are a necessity, but to you, a pain in the posterior. It would be well worth the effort to fix it once an for all and not have to think about it. Firestone Ride-Rite has the fitting parts if necessary. It may be best to spend a few bucks and have it done by someone with a hoist. It would be time and money well spent.

Sometimes. I put up with something that nags me for a long time. Then one day, I just decide to do it. Then, I wonder why I waited so long, because the fix was so easy. But then, history repeats itself.
I hear ya PenJoe,,, but I am no longer able to work on things that I was able to do a while back,,, so I just keep track of the pressure !!!
I did got under unit last year hoping to check the lines and connections !!!
Was not even able to follow lines !!! What a freaking mess !!!
LOL !!!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #20

Quote:
I hear ya PenJoe,,, but I am no longer able to work on things that I was able to do a while back,,, so I just keep track of the pressure !!!
I did got under unit last year hoping to check the lines and connections !!!
Was not even able to follow lines !!! What a freaking mess !!!
LOL !!!
You might check around your area. I was using an independent auto repair shop that works on public system school buses. They had a lift and were willing to work on the cutaway portion to do the service work. Because they needed the ceiling height to lift a school bus, it also worked for the 2500TS. It was a pretty reasonable way to get things done. Just a suggestion.

Tags
pressure, suspension