Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

Is my slide-out developing a problem?

Recently, I have noticed that when my Lippert above-floor silde-out extends, that it doesn't slide flat but both ends rise and fall. When I extend, the outside edge will rise as it extends and then fall an inch or so and then as the inside upper fascia makes contact with the wall it will rise again. Upon retracting, it will start off dropping and then straighten out and as the top of the outside of the slide hits the wall and the dinette floor will the rise until the bottom of the outside of the slide makes contact with the wall. It appears that the amount of floor movement has increased and appears a bit jerky as it moves to and from the flat portion of the cycle. It's as if on a fulcrum and the weight has shifted.
Is this normal? I have watched as it extends and retracts from underneath outside and as best I could inside and all appears tight. Of course it's 15 months beyond warranty.
I can post a video tomorrow of it.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #2

My tilts up & down in similar fashion but the motor seems to run smoothly. I did have the motor replaced under warranty when new. 3 yrs now and still working.

Will be curious to see what others have to say.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
My tilts up & down in similar fashion but the motor seems to run smoothly. I did have the motor replaced under warranty when new. 3 yrs now and still working.

Will be curious to see what others have to say.
Did you rely on the Battery alone when moving the slide out? My dealer said to always either be on shore power or use the generator. Reason is it can cause motor to strain and it to over heat and fail. Same thing with my levelers. Makes sense to me especially dry Camping and getting ready to pack up and leave in the morning.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Did you rely on the Battery alone when moving the slide out? My dealer said to always either be on shore power or use the generator. Reason is it can cause motor to strain and it to over heat and fail. Same thing with my levelers. Makes sense to me especially dry Camping and getting ready to pack up and leave in the morning.

I’m maybe 50/50 on moving slide with power hooked up. If I have shore power I will hook up first. We boondock a fair amount tho and I rarely start generator to put slide out. No levelers on my rig.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Recently, I have noticed that when my Lippert above-floor silde-out extends, that it doesn't slide flat but both ends rise and fall. When I extend, the outside edge will rise as it extends and then fall an inch or so and then as the inside upper fascia makes contact with the wall it will rise again. Upon retracting, it will start off dropping and then straighten out and as the top of the outside of the slide hits the wall and the dinette floor will the rise until the bottom of the outside of the slide makes contact with the wall. It appears that the amount of floor movement has increased and appears a bit jerky as it moves to and from the flat portion of the cycle. It's as if on a fulcrum and the weight has shifted.
Is this normal? I have watched as it extends and retracts from underneath outside and as best I could inside and all appears tight. Of course it's 15 months beyond warranty.
I can post a video tomorrow of it.
Most above floor slides have either "Wear bearing blocks or rollers on each end of the Main floor that is a bearing for the slide! Check if there is wear or broken off at these locations! When slide is "OUT" lift the carpet flap and look! Youroo!! PS this has nothing to do with "Battery or Shore Power!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

my 23ss roo does the same
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

My 3011DS does the same. When sliding out, the slide topper seems to hold the top in as the bottom goes out. Once there is enough "pull", the top starts to come out. It appears to "rock" when it gets about 1/2 way out. All seems to work, just makes me nervous as it looks broken when coming in or out.....
1FastSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSS View Post
My 3011DS does the same. When sliding out, the slide topper seems to hold the top in as the bottom goes out. Once there is enough "pull", the top starts to come out. It appears to "rock" when it gets about 1/2 way out. All seems to work, just makes me nervous as it looks broken when coming in or out.....
So I guess it's normal, and yes. Makes me nervous too especially when it rocks!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #9

Mine stays level during travel, it drops slightly at the very end of the cycle coming in. It was contacting the floor during the last few inches of travel due to this drop. Finding no easy way to adjust the darn thing I took my dremel sawmax to the bottom of that cabinet and made it fit the floor, it was only happening on one corner. I have noticed that it seems to operate under less stress after I bathed everything in WD-40.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Old Timer

I have a 2016 Rockwood mini LITE with a small one screw slide. I find it's in the balance of how I pack the slide storage areas..
jasonw43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
No generator in mine. Rarely have hookups. My slide is 85” x 48” and it slides fine on battery alone but I try to have the 7-pin connected when possible for a lottle extra boost. BTW...it rocks on sliding out and in but seals just fone at both ends of travel.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSS View Post
You have a slide topper that is on its way out. Factory replaced mine at Goshen 2 years ago. The holes got elongated and caused it to do the same. After it was replaced, nice and smooth. Stand outside and have someone extend the slide, if it is you will see it jump.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #13

Check bolts

I had a problem with my slide out on my last trailer bouncing up and down as it came in. The nuts in the bolts that fasten the slide out to the bar that holds it in place and carries it in and out were loose. It dug into the linoleum.
My current trailer had a similar problem. a bolt had slipped letting the slideout not fully close on one side. Crawl under the slideout and check everything for being tight and make sure that it is sealing evenly inside and outside. I recommend getting Slideout Slickers to protect the flooring. Hope this helps.
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #14

Brand new unit. Only had the slide out about 8 times so far....

Thanks.
1FastSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #15

Quote:
So I guess it's normal, and yes. Makes me nervous too especially when it rocks!
I like it when my TT rocks.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #16

If a generator is required for battery use, what is a person with a TT and no Generator to do? Enquiring minds want to know!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #17

I have a 2017 Forester 3011 DS. Ours does that too. First noticed it about 2000 miles in on an Alaska trip. It has run in and out about 50 or 60 times since then, no problems.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #18

New unit can be the problem

Both problems that I had with loose bolts were on new units that the factory neglected to tighten. on the first one the bolts were just hanging there and the nuts were about to fall off. The second one an adjustment slipped due to not being tightened
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #19

When's the last time you lubed your slide mechanism and seals? Mine tilt a bit when I deploy or retract them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
When's the last time you lubed your slide mechanism and seals? Mine tilt a bit when I deploy or retract them.
Good point, it’s been about 6months. On a trip currently, will lube it on Saturday.

Tags
slide