Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #21

cfo111 Since it seems that the "standard" size that the mfg put on our coaches is LT275/75R16. You state that you were running LT275/85R16 with a load range G. My question is did you have any problems with tire clearance of the "85"? Like rubbing against the fender or something else, or the distance between the dual tires?
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #22

As someone mentioned earlier is the Load Range G tires by Goodyear or the Salins 637's? They would fit your 16 inch wheels. These carry a 110psi. For those that have this size we have switched to 17.5 wheels Load Range H, 125psi. The load range E tires are on the way out for motorhomes and travel trailers. Good luck on whatever you do. Dave

The above mentioned tires are real truck tires.
Dave Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Some very important information is missing.

What is the actual measured load on each end of each axle? It is in all probability not 50% of the load on that axle and certainly you will not find both F & R having 50/50 side to side load split.

If you know your actual tire load have you ALWAYS run inflation sufficient to provied at least a 10% margin of inflation or maybe 15% load margin for tire capacity above the measured heavier load?

If you have had a tire failure what was the cause? Was it a tread separation? Belt detachment? Run Low sidewall flex failure blowout? Any tire from any manufacturer can fail if it is not properly inflated 100% of the time.

IMO I think you will find the OE tires on a Ford/Chevy/MB chassis used as a base for Class-C motorhomes are selected by a team of engineers at the car company working with engineers at a top tier tire company to design and select a tire for specific performance parameters. This is not how many tires are selected for trailers which many times are selected on low cost period. You probably have a 3 of maybe longer warranty on your OE tires unlike the 1 day to 1 year on a trailer.

Tires for motorhomes vs tires for trailers is an apples & oranges like comparison.

Now if your measured load & inflation does not meet the above margins or better then you are exceeding the drsign limits of the tires and possibly the coach too and corrective action is needed.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #24

I am looking to replace tires on my class c this week.

Options are:

1 budget tires capitol ht 540 for 4

2 firestone transforce 704 set of 4

3 michilem ltx 900 for 4

4 all terrain bfg at ko2 900 for 4

Thoughts? I really like the ko2s as I have these on my half ton and got 80 K miles out of them.

But all terrains on rv???
2014:43 2015:44 2016:21+
msubryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #25

msubryan: Are you just replacing just your rear tires? Or, don't you have dual tires on the rear?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #26

Just replacing rear, front are 4 years old
Old 09-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubryan View Post
I am looking to replace tires on my class c this week.

Options are:

1 budget tires capitol ht 540 for 4

2 firestone transforce 704 set of 4

3 michilem ltx 900 for 4

4 all terrain bfg at ko2 900 for 4

Thoughts? I really like the ko2s as I have these on my half ton and got 80 K miles out of them.

But all terrains on rv???
One thing you are buying with the tires is the dealer network and support. Have to wonder how many dealers "budget tires " has across the US.

BFG, Firestone and Michelin all are good enough to provide OE tires to FORD & GM

All Terrain will give worse mpg than highway tread design tires.

Be sure you are comparing the exact same size and Load Range between the different suppliers ( I am thinking LR-E is what you have and need on the MH.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #28

Thx, I was worried about AT mpg.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #29

Michilems going on today 904 for 4
Old 09-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #30

2 tires in 1.5 years

Perfect timing for this discussion. Just replaced my second factory tire yesterday after hitting a pot hole (thank you I-20 in Ft. Worth). Both tires that went bad were inside rear duellys. Got some time to go . . . but will take this conversation in advise when it's time to buy a new set. Oh, 1st tire had a hole in the side of it . . . 2nd lots all it's tread.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #31

I never had problems with my G's but I have air ride for a little lift because I sometime dragged coming out of steep driveway. But my stock tires after 1 to 2 years were blowoutcity. My G always go and go and they lifted rear up 2 inches so my coach rides level. My first set lasted 8 years just put on my second set. I gace my first set to a friend he put them on his dully pickup they still look like new.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #32

My Michelin tire all 6 dry rotted 16600 miles they paid for part of cost I put bf Goodrich on much better ride
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #33

X2 on the BF Goodrich tires.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #34

Just a couple of thoughts as I read all these tire posts:

(1) Tires are VERY important to me. The safety of my family depends on how those rubber things provide a safe ride for us.
(2) I don't even shop for "cheap" tires. I am not an "expert" on tires but in my logical way of thinking, I figure that they are cheap for some reason. Since I don't know why they are less than brand names, I tend to shy away from them. I value my family's safety more than a few hundred dollars.
(3) I belong to FMCA and have used their Michelin program a couple of times. Yes, it does save you money. The larger your tires, the more savings you have. When I needed 22.5" tires for my DP, I saved over $100 per tire. As a previous poster pointed out, using the FMCA tire program saves you more money than the cost of your membership, and you get the tires cheaper than the dealer can.
(4) In the larger, RV size of tires, Michelin adds a UV inhibitor to the tire manufacturing process so that sunlight will have a minimal adverse effect on your tires. Also, it does adds a little more to the cost of the tires. I think they have this UV protection only in the larger sizes, not in the sizes that Class C's use, but I'm not sure. I don't know if any other tire manufacturer does this.

Bottom line, I will only use top brand tires on all my vehicles and I will never compromise safety to save a few bucks. But, I will shop them to death to ensure I'm getting the best price.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #35
Commercial Member

In general "Commercial" grade steel body tires are available for Class-C from "First Tier" companies like Bridgestone, Goodyear & Michelin.

I would expect better performance from these tires than others.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

IMO I think you will find the OE tires on a Ford/Chevy/MB chassis used as a base for Class-C motorhomes are selected by a team of engineers at the car company working with engineers at a top tier tire company to design and select a tire for specific performance parameters. d.
^^^^This is what I am confounded about. My 1994 24 foot Fleetwood Tioga Montaro with no slide had the same size OEM tires as the 31 foot Sunseeker does with 2 slides??? Does a Full size Cadillac use the same tires as a Prius???
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
^^^^This is what I am confounded about. My 1994 24 foot Fleetwood Tioga Montaro with no slide had the same size OEM tires as the 31 foot Sunseeker does with 2 slides??? Does a Full size Cadillac use the same tires as a Prius???
What size & Load Range was the Fleetwood? and on the Sunseeker?
Are you sure you had same Load Range and inflation suggestion on the tire placard?

What are your actual scale weights for each RV?

While it is reasonable to think length and number of slides might be an indication of actual weight the only way to know for real is to get on a scale.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
What size & Load Range was the Fleetwood? and on the Sunseeker?
Are you sure you had same Load Range and inflation suggestion on the tire placard?What are your actual scale weights for each RV?
Pretty sure is was the same size and load range for both rigs. I do remember that the Fleetwood was only 60 psi all around and the current Sunseeker is 80 all around.

I guess I am wishing the manufacturers would give more of a safety factor
by using heavier rated tires on these really heavy C class rigs.

All I can do is keep the inflation at the proper level, inspect them regularly and replace after 5 years.

Thanks for your input.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #39

My 1999 Fleetwood Jamboree had 225-65-16 E load range now rear 235-85-16 been running first set 8 years by the way load range G this give you 1,000 pounds per tire. I did have air lifts in place before so never had a clearance problem. I run 100 psi in rear ride a little firmer but then which is better blowouts and damage or firmer ride. Safety first IMO
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Pretty sure is was the same size and load range for both rigs. I do remember that the Fleetwood was only 60 psi all around and the current Sunseeker is 80 all around.

I guess I am wishing the manufacturers would give more of a safety factor
by using heavier rated tires on these really heavy C class rigs.

All I can do is keep the inflation at the proper level, inspect them regularly and replace after 5 years.

Thanks for your input.
If only 60 then the Fleetwood was a few thousand pounds lighter. 60 psi is Load Range D. 80 psi is LR-E

Tags
class c, tire