RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #61
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Went with these Goodyear 949 RSA tire. Putting 2 on the ps rear and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice, especially Tireman.
Just putting 2 on? Don't you have duals in rear? You should NOT mix these 2 new tires with your old tires in dual pair. Duals should ALWAYS be kept is pairs of same size, design, LR and tire company PLUS the OD needs to be matched to within 1/4".
I have posts on how to measure and match duals.
Do do otherwise invites early and rapid wear or even failure as one tire would almost always carry more load than it's mate.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Just putting 2 on? Don't you have duals in rear? You should NOT mix these 2 new tires with your old tires in dual pair. Duals should ALWAYS be kept is pairs of same size, design, LR and tire company PLUS the OD needs to be matched to within 1/4".
Do do otherwise invites early and rapid wear or even failure as one tire would almost always carry more load than it's mate.
As mentioned, I put both of the new Goodyears on the passenger side. I could only afford 2 this month and plan on buying 2 more next month and put on the drivers side rear.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #63
Commercial Member

Quote:
As mentioned, I put both of the new Goodyears on the passenger side. I could only afford 2 this month and plan on buying 2 more next month and put on the drivers side rear.

OK the "ps" confused me for a bit.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Old 06-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #64

Tireman..

Tell the multitudes that...
There is always a better tire available if one is willing to pay for it'....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #65

Quote:
So, now I am wondering??? When you see semi's on the side of the road with truck tire service guys replacing JUST ONE of the dually tires that has blown apart on the road, does the driver go back to the shop and get a new tire to match the one that was just put on? I'm not trying to be arguementative, just trying to learn more about the tire world.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #66

Quote:
So, now I am wondering??? When you see semi's on the side of the road with truck tire service guys replacing JUST ONE of the dually tires that has blown apart on the road, does the driver go back to the shop and get a new tire to match the one that was just put on? I'm not trying to be arguementative, just trying to learn more about the tire world.

Being a retired OTR trucker that is usually the case but usually, the tire guy will have more than one tire with him and he will match diameters. Pretty easy to do with 11.00 x 24.5's. You just roll the replacement up to the mounted tire and eyeball it.

You asked I told for Tireman...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Quote:
Also steel body tires grow less than textile body tires. Most 22.5" tires are steel while most 15" & 16" are textile.

Truck companies balance time, cost against doing the "perfect" job of matching.

I can only address the best practices. If some choose to do otherwise that is their choice.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #68

Great info on this thread.

My Starfire tires are coming up on 10 years, if I read the 'born on date' on the sidewall correctly. Since I take my Freelander off road on crappy 2 tracks, and occasionally get caught in the snow (dang Wyoming mountain summers!), I was thinking of the BFG AT KO's. I don't think I'll wear them out before they hit their age limit, since I put maybe 4K miles on a year.

How badly will highway mileage suffer compared to, say, a Michelin LTX? I'm knocking down 9.5 mpg with the 6 liter diesel. I've run BFG AT KO's on my F150 4x4 truck for 15+ years and think the world of them.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #69

Tire Dry Rot

This thread is my first introduction to tire dry rot. What does it look like or how do I determine if by tires have it?

2004 Sunseeker 2890DS
Mosquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #70
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquitos View Post
This thread is my first introduction to tire dry rot. What does it look like or how do I determine if by tires have it?

2004 Sunseeker 2890DS
First the term "Dry Rot" is a bit of a misnomer for sidewall cracking and I cover than in a recent post on my RV Tire Blog.

Second you can see a good picture of tire sidewall cracking HERE.

It can be used as a basic measure of tire service age as tires that have been exposed to heat and Sunlight are more likely to have more external cracking than newer tires or tires that have been protected from heat and UV.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #71

Quote:
First the term "Dry Rot" is a bit of a misnomer for sidewall cracking and I cover than in a recent post on my RV Tire Blog.

Second you can see a good picture of tire sidewall cracking HERE.

It can be used as a basic measure of tire service age as tires that have been exposed to heat and Sunlight are more likely to have more external cracking than newer tires or tires that have been protected from heat and UV.
As the article with the photo states:

"The anti-aging chemicals used in the rubber compounds are more effective when the tire is exercised...The repeated stretching of the rubber compound actually helps deter cracks from forming."

Simply said; Tires, use them or lose them.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #72

X2 WayneLee - only the best tires on my vehicles. IMO it is too risky to cut corners here.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #73

So, update on the tire situation. I now have Goodyear G949 tires on the rear both sides. They weigh quite a bit more than the Michelins did and are definetly more beefy on the sidewall. With the Michelins, if the rear of the rig was crooked (one side a bit higher than the other), the low side outside tire would really pooch out. With the Goodyears, no noticeable difference.
I was worried the ride would be stiffer and harsh, but I am happy to report that after 600 miles, I really don't feel any real difference in ride.
I purchased them at WalMart for $315 each and had Tire Kingdom install them on the rims and I installed the wheels on the rig.
I'll report back occasionally to update the story.

Tags
class c, tire