Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Is there a better tire available for large Class C's ?

For those that get Motorhome Magazine, there was a featured question in the Coach and Powertrain section regarding trying to put a better (stronger, longer lasting) tire than the Michelin LT225/75R16 on a Class C motorhome. The answer given was just the normal: keep them inflated, covered, check the date code, etc.
I sent Ken Freund the following e-mail:

Ken Freund,

Good answer to the highlighted Tire Failure question in the September 2106
Coach and Powertrain.
However, you did not answer the main question that he asked that I would also
like to ask. "Is there a better, stronger tire in the LT 225/75 R16 size that what
Michelin makes"?
Personally, I believe that the heavier, larger class C rigs stretch these tires
to the absolute limit which leads to premature tire failure. Is there a better, stronger
tire in that size available other than the Michelin ?
Thanks.

Haven't heard back from him, but maybe someone on this forum has some input. I'm not looking to change rims, tire size, etc., just curious if there is a better tire in that size?
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

I also have a Sunseeker with the same tires, so I'm curious why you're asking. Are you experiencing any unusual wear or have you had other issues?

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I also have a Sunseeker with the same tires, so I'm curious why you're asking. Are you experiencing any unusual wear or have you had other issues?
With my last rig, a 29 Coachman w/o slides, I did experience tire failure at about year 5 of the tires. Right on the edge of when they recommend to replace. Now I have a much heavier 3100SS Sunseeker and want to try to avoid a repeat.
My issue is that the tires are run so close to their maximum capacity. Example: My passenger car has tires with capacity of 5,732 lbs. Car weighs 3,500 lb. Tires are carrying only 61% of their capacity. My RV tires have a capacity of 15,240 lbs. and RV is close to it's capacity of 14,500 lbs. Tires are carrying 95% of their capacity. That's cutting it close.

My friend had Michelin tires on his car for 17 years and they didn't fail. He drove the car (show car ) very rarely ( like a motorhome) and kept the tires covered (like a motorhome should). I just feel as though if a person uses his motorhome frequently and maintains the tires, they should not have to be changed every 5 years. This a Florida MH that gets used year round. Maybe if there was a stronger, more durable tire available, they would last longer.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

One possibility would be to put commercial tires such as the delivery services use. I considered putting Bridgestone Duravis on our Four Winds, but I caved for the Michelin LTX M/S. As it worked out, they were replaced with LTX M/S2 under the recall a few years ago after I'd already put 25K on them, so we scored on a new set which reset the date code. The M/S2 are much better tires than the M/S ones were in the terms of noise, handling and stability. I still wonder if it would have been a better decision to install the Bridgestones.

I see Costco has the Duravis M700 HD's with closed shoulders but an open tread; they used to have a Duravis with a much tigher highway tread that I was considering.

That all said, they all have a load range for a given size, so it doesn't really matter what brand or model you buy. If it's an LT 225/75/16, then the load index is 115.

I still like the idea of a commercial tire... and may purchase something like that when I replace the Generals on the new Sunseeker when the time comes.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

Following as I want to know also.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #6

Your question reminds me of a problem I had back in the 70's with a truck camper and radial tires. When driving on a freeway, she would wander back and forth just a little, but enough for us to notice. I search everywhere I could (remember no internet in those days). Everything checked out okay on the truck. Finally, I stopped in a large tire store serving only 18 wheeler rigs and large trucks. They recommend that I change the rear tires from radial to "bias ply" tires which had a stiffer side wall than radials had. You know, they were right, and I had no movement for the rest of that camper's life.

Now, to extend my experience on tire questions some 40+ years later, I would suggest finding a really good truck tire store that only services trucks, large trucks. Ask them what they would recommend and see if you can get a good answer from them. They are the professionals and should be able to help.

And, don't forget to let all of us know if you find something out.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
One possibility would be to put commercial tires such as the delivery services use. I considered putting Bridgestone Duravis on our Four Winds, but I caved for the Michelin LTX M/S. As it worked out, they were replaced with LTX M/S2 under the recall a few years ago after I'd already put 25K on them, so we scored on a new set which reset the date code. The M/S2 are much better tires than the M/S ones were in the terms of noise, handling and stability. I still wonder if it would have been a better decision to install the Bridgestones.

I see Costco has the Duravis M700 HD's with closed shoulders but an open tread; they used to have a Duravis with a much tigher highway tread that I was considering.

That all said, they all have a load range for a given size, so it doesn't really matter what brand or model you buy. If it's an LT 225/75/16, then the load index is 115.

I still like the idea of a commercial tire... and may purchase something like that when I replace the Generals on the new Sunseeker when the time comes.
I have the Michelin LTX/MS2 on my truck, I don't think I could find a better tire.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
With my last rig, a 29 Coachman w/o slides, I did experience tire failure at about year 5 of the tires. Right on the edge of when they recommend to replace. Now I have a much heavier 3100SS Sunseeker and want to try to avoid a repeat.
My issue is that the tires are run so close to their maximum capacity. Example: My passenger car has tires with capacity of 5,732 lbs. Car weighs 3,500 lb. Tires are carrying only 61% of their capacity. My RV tires have a capacity of 15,240 lbs. and RV is close to it's capacity of 14,500 lbs. Tires are carrying 95% of their capacity. That's cutting it close.

My friend had Michelin tires on his car for 17 years and they didn't fail. He drove the car (show car ) very rarely ( like a motorhome) and kept the tires covered (like a motorhome should). I just feel as though if a person uses his motorhome frequently and maintains the tires, they should not have to be changed every 5 years. This a Florida MH that gets used year round. Maybe if there was a stronger, more durable tire available, they would last longer.
I assume you have the LTX MS2 like I do? According to Tire Rack they are rated for 2680 lbs each x 6 = 16,080 lbs. which would be 90% of capacity in your case.

Capacity means just that plus there's also always a safety factor built in. If you had a tire fail, that happens sometimes and could happen with any tire. Thousands of motorhomes use them w/out failure.

I also believe that no matter what tire you buy they have a life of 6 years (you say 5, I've always read 6). This is due to rubber aging, not capacity. This would be true even on your car. I just replaced a perfect-appearing set of tires on my car that were 7 years old (i was getting nervous).

Now having blabbed out my thoughts I do understand your concern and what you're thinking, however I believe that you'd be better off saving your money or spending it on something else.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Following as I want to know also.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ditto

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #10

My bud swears by the Bridgestones. Never a leak or issue.
I will look into them after the 5 year mark.
I am under loaded on my small rig but tires are of utmost importance.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

When my Sunseeker needed tires I found a half dozen brands that were the same size and losd range. I ended up with BF Goodrich which worked well for me. I liked the ride better than the original UniRoyal.

However, the local Goodyear Truck Center suggested heavier duty truck tires, they assumed my motorhome was much larger.

So take a look at heavy truck tires. Although I suspect the ride will be hardher.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I assume you have the LTX MS2 like I do? According to Tire Rack they are rated for 2680 lbs each x 6 = 16,080 lbs. which would be 90% of capacity in your case.

These tires in a dual configuration are only rated at 2470 each. Total's 15,240.

. This is due to rubber aging, not capacity. This would be true even on your car. I just replaced a perfect-appearing set of tires on my car that were 7 years old (i was getting nervous).

So an engine running at 65% capacity will last the same length as one at 95% capacity??? Hmmmmm. I guess they don't make rubber like they used to.

Now having blabbed out my thoughts I do understand your concern and what you're thinking, however I believe that you'd be better off saving your money or spending it on something else.

Thanks for your comments.

Lot's of good comments so far. Thanks everyone. Do other car/truck/ big truck companies build in design tire capacity to be at 95% of the weight of the vehicle???

That is really my main concern. They are building double/triple slides with fireplaces and who know what other heavy items and are still putting the same size tires on these Class C rigs.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #13

Don't go past the age limit regardless of wear. Dry rot develops with age and is the primary cause of tire failure on RV's and boat trailers.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #14

Hankook

I don't know diddly about tires other than that age and dry rot is the enemy, but....

my trusted mechanic of many years (also an RV owner) put Hankook tires (sorry, I don't know the model and the rig is 35 min away) on my Sunseeker when the Michelins aged out. Those Hankook tires are still in great shape after 5+ years of service with not a hint of dry rot. My RV is stored in a mostly shaded spot but the tires are not covered. When it's time for a new set, I'll be sticking with Hankook.
Simon3xUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #15

You need to go to a load range 'G' tire like the goodyear g614 or Sailun S637
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post

These tires in a dual configuration are only rated at 2470 each. Total's 15,240. - You are correct, I stand corrected.

. This is due to rubber aging, not capacity. This would be true even on your car. I just replaced a perfect-appearing set of tires on my car that were 7 years old (i was getting nervous).

So an engine running at 65% capacity will last the same length as one at 95% capacity??? Hmmmmm. I guess they don't make rubber like they used to.

Depending upon engine design, yes and in fact it might not last as long. Trabants come to mind. Also, apparently I'm correct because no matter what tire you by and under any conditions it will be recommended that it be replaced in 6 years.

Please see additional comments, above.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Tires

Did you have an alignment done. I was told by the dealer that the alignment is done on the cab chassis at the Ford/Chevy assembly without the coach on it. I was told to load the MH as it would be in travel and have the alignment done.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Did you have an alignment done. I was told by the dealer that the alignment is done on the cab chassis at the Ford/Chevy assembly without the coach on it. I was told to load the MH as it would be in travel and have the alignment done.
That is explicitly stated in my Owner's Manual.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #19

One year ago I had a set of LT225/75R-16 Cooper Discoverer HT3 tires, 115/112R, Load Range E on my Coachmen Concord 300TS, 30-Foot motor home. I love the ride these tires give. A lot better than the Michelins they replaced. Great tire. They are light truck tires. Go to Cooper Tires website and check them out. Also you can see your options on other Cooper tires.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #20

My c class have be running 235-85- 16 load range G for 5 years since I made the change it is a 30 foot with a slide. I just got a A Class 35 foot triple slide georgetown what a sight all the room needed and some.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, tire