Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Was at BJ's wholesale the other day, looking at the TVs on display. Most of them I would consider 'RV size' are 12 volt, running off of an AC to DC transformer in the cord. At Hershey RV show, I saw RV's with TV's that would rival my large screen in my home, amazing. I guess those people really aren't into camping, just dragging a home around, lol.
Yup, that's us! We call it our third home!

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 3170 DS 32' w/2 slides
soulman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman327 View Post
No, the problem is, the tv is 120 v and there is no place to plug it in in its present location. So, I need an (correctly ) inverter to even have power to the tv.

OK, so you are saying the RV came from the factory with a 120 volt television and you don't have a nearby outlet to plug it into? If so this wasn't clear from your initial post.

Or are you changing/adding televisions and thus NOW need an 120 volt electrical outlet?

The way the OP is worded, with "the" bedroom tv, is indicative that there is a television there already. If there wasn't, then "a" bedroom television would be better suited.

Quote:
or am I just cynical. The only power for the bedroom TV in our 3170DS is a 12v outlet. Why not a standard plug? Did they save $.27 by doing it this way?
Anyway, how did you resolve this, with a converter or install a 120v outlet? If you put in an outlet, where did you run the line from?

Thanks,
John

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
OK, so you are saying the RV came from the factory with a 120 volt television and you don't have a nearby outlet to plug it into? If so this wasn't clear from your initial post.

Or are you changing televisions and thus NOW need an 120 volt electrical outlet?
You are correct. I was just coming back from checking my original post and add missing info. So, to clarify, we bought this MH used and it came with 3 TV's. The bedroom TV is a 120 v that you would plug into any outlet in a home. The only plug in available where it is located (and logical) in the bedroom is a 12 v.
So, after the helpful posts here, I've decided to purchase an inverter so my bride can watch TV when she goes to bed. Hopefully this will clear up the confusion.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #24

are you SURE you don't have a 120v outlet, behind and above the TV mount? I will admit that on all our 120v TVs, the 'single' outlet for the TV is mounted within the 'bracket' that the TV is mounted to - this is usually so that you don't have power wires showing from the TV to the outlet...very nice, but 'seeing' them can be difficult sometimes.

our BEDROOM tv IS a 12v model Jensen, and works perfectly fine, and even HAS a 120v single outlet above it, in the mounting bracket, even though the TV works with a simple small 12v plug that is wired directly to the house batteries, so that you can view tv anytime, regardless of whether you are plugged into shore power, on the generator, or have the inverter on. I imagine the additional single OUTLET is for a separate DVD player, Satellite receiver, etc., though, of course, those would only be powered by 120v.

fun ! : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #25

Every time I think about "cutting the cord" football season arrives... I think the last network TV I watched (other than the aforementioned) was NCIS and I stopped watching that when Ziva left.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
are you SURE you don't have a 120v outlet, behind and above the TV mount? I will admit that on all our 120v TVs, the 'single' outlet for the TV is mounted within the 'bracket' that the TV is mounted to - this is usually so that you don't have power wires showing from the TV to the outlet...very nice, but 'seeing' them can be difficult sometimes.

our BEDROOM tv IS a 12v model Jensen, and works perfectly fine, and even HAS a 120v single outlet above it, in the mounting bracket, even though the TV works with a simple small 12v plug that is wired directly to the house batteries, so that you can view tv anytime, regardless of whether you are plugged into shore power, on the generator, or have the inverter on. I imagine the additional single OUTLET is for a separate DVD player, Satellite receiver, etc., though, of course, those would only be powered by 120v.

fun ! : )
Well, I looked in the space behind the wall where the TV is mounted and saw only the 12 v outlet and the TV cord laying there not plugged in and just figured there was no outlet. I'll have to take another look when I get home. Good suggestion. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #27

There's never been a thread about asking how to do this or that with a tv, that someone doesn't chime in and say how stupid we are to watch tv.

Those guys need to come with me, 200+ days a year, and see how many stars they can watch!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #28
Certified Curmudgeon

Sorry I took so long to respond. Old muscle car show at the Texas Speedway and construction on 114. Just pulled into Longview. Have 32 cable channels here. DW is watching one of those ghost hunter reality shows. As the OP said, Happy Wife, Happy Life. Amen

If you really want to use a 120v TV, an inverter such as the one referenced would be a good choice. However here is a true story: On Sept 18 we pulled into a nice little park in Hagerman, ID. Set up and tuned the TV antenna using TVFool.com. Had great reception and sat down to watch the news and relax while my DW took a walk with the pooch. A little while later she comes back and informs me that nobody in the park had power except for us. I looked down at my EMS display and it was blank. I had no idea the 120v was out. So I told her that we had no power either. That’s a clear advantage in favor of 12v.

I’m not anti TV. It is a technological marvel that has it’s place. Nobody is “stupid” for watching TV. For shut-ins, it may be their only link to the outside world.

soulman327 you can send a PM now.

BandJCarm Just out of curiosity, where do you go that you cant watch a sunrise/set or maybe see a shooting star or an awsome eclipse for 200+ days?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post

Nope, still doesn't work......oh well, guess what I had to say wasn't that important.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #30
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Nope, still doesn't work......oh well, guess what I had to say wasn't that important.
Yes it is. I clicked your name and selected add to contacts. Guess it didnt work.
So I went to the user CP and sure enough, you were not there. I just added you manually. It will work now. (theoretically)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Sorry I took so long to respond. Old muscle car show at the Texas Speedway and construction on 114. Just pulled into Longview. Have 32 cable channels here. DW is watching one of those ghost hunter reality shows. As the OP said, Happy Wife, Happy Life. Amen

If you really want to use a 120v TV, an inverter such as the one referenced would be a good choice. However here is a true story: On Sept 18 we pulled into a nice little park in Hagerman, ID. Set up and tuned the TV antenna using TVFool.com. Had great reception and sat down to watch the news and relax while my DW took a walk with the pooch. A little while later she comes back and informs me that nobody in the park had power except for us. I looked down at my EMS display and it was blank. I had no idea the 120v was out. So I told her that we had no power either. That’s a clear advantage in favor of 12v.

I’m not anti TV. It is a technological marvel that has it’s place. Nobody is “stupid” for watching TV. For shut-ins, it may be their only link to the outside world.

BandJCarm Just out of curiosity, where do you go that you cant watch a sunrise/set or maybe see a shooting star or an awsome eclipse for 200+ days?
The cloudy and rainy states.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #32
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
or am I just cynical. The only power for the bedroom TV in our 3170DS is a 12v outlet. Why not a standard plug? Did they save $.27 by doing it this way?
Anyway, how did you resolve this, with a converter or install a 120v outlet? If you put in an outlet, where did you run the line from?

Thanks,
John
I look at that 12v outlet as a feature...not a manufacturer's cost saving measure.

I'll bet if you look around you'll find a regular 110v outlet to plug your TV into.

I have the 12v/coax connection on the bedroom ceiling in my 5'ver and a 110v receptacle about six inches away next to it...which is where the TV is plugged in for power.

I have a small inverter that I bought (Home Depot - $30) to power my laptop in the truck and guess what?

I can now use that in the bedroom to watch TV if I'm not plugged in to shore power...like an overnight in a Walmart parking lot (haven't done that yet...but will!).
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote