Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

It's raining - inside

Anyone have experience with their Sunseeker leaking? We had substantial rain here a few days ago. Today got in the unit to take it in for some unrelated service, and to our surprise had a downpour inside in the front corner driver side, coming through the lining. What? Asked the guy at the shop to take a look of course, but other thoughts come to mind. Even if fixed and no more leaks will the insulation in ceiling dry out completely?
This is a brand new 2015 with only 2400 miles on it, just got it 2 weeks ago.
SequimCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Sounds like a warranty repair. The insulation and interior walls/roof will not dry out by themselves without removing the interior panels. Could be a major job as the leak may have caused wide spread wetting inside the walls and roof. I have seen similar issues posted here on newer units about leaking clearance lights and cracks opening up at the joint between the cap and roof. Dealer should be able to find it.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

yes it was covered under warranty. There was an open spot on roof front seam on the front passenger side corner. No other leaking/spotting or wet areas we could see on the inside. was dried out with fans overnight. seems all is well�� but will keep our eyes and nostrils open. and will look for those posts, we're new to the forum.
SequimCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #4

Not sure how the inside of the walls and ceiling could be dried out even with fans unless the inside panels were opened up. Keep an eye out for warping panels or mold creeping out the crevasses if it's still wet inside.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

We fixed a bad roof on our old camper a few years ago. There's no way possible that insulation is dry. And it's worthless now. It's all clumped together and has no insulating value any more. The walls/ceiling need to be opened up and dried out and insulation replaced. It's a brand new unit, I'd make sure it was fixed to be brand new again.
Yeah its gonna be expensive for FR but hey, why should you pay the price in the future with continued damage.
Good luck!
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #6

I had leaking at the rear window last year on my year old Sunseeker 2860DS that delaminated the inner back wall. Forest River warranteed the repair which included removing the delaminated paneling and insulation and installation of new.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

The front area is complicated. I chased leaks on my Forester 3171 off and on for about 7 months.
I had water first coming out of a vertical caulk joint on the outside of the coach right behind the passenger door. Water was getting in somewhere and trying to get back out. That leak seemed to be from a screw installed on the outside of the vinyl trim cover way up right by the front gutters on both sides of the coach. It took a while to find that one. I even pulled all the front clearance lights just to make certain. I then thought it was the over-cab bed windows. Pulled those - they were leaking but it wasn't the source because once I sealed those windows I still had water coming out the same silicone joint after a good rain. I finally pulled the vinyl trim out of the track which showed water tracing all the way to screws at the front of the trim bar.

A month or so later I had water dripping down inside around the sun visor mounts on the driver side. I ended up pulling all the plastic trim cladding off around the transition from the cab to the coach just so I can see where water tracking from.
Once I removed the over-cab bunk cut-away trim, I found a lot of signs of water getting in - parts of the cab metal roof rusting inside just behind the trim cladding. the short story of that long leak hunt was that the seal between the over-cab bed and the metal chassis cab was inferior. Driving in the rain forced the water to run down the front nose of the over-cab where the wind pushed it in anywhere it could get past a seal that rested between the metal chassis roof and the over-cab.
It was tricky to get that sealed up but I checked it with a garden hose and a spray set on jet spray. I sprayed on all the seals while I had all the trim/cladding removed. That front is almost as watertight as a submarine.

Nearly all these leaks were fixed by me. Went round and round with the dealer. Every time I brought it to them they just added sealant on the roof - they never checked for a source, they just systematically seal what the factory sealed at the joints on the roof.

It has not been a fun ownership with my Forester. I could literally write a book on all that I have been through in my 20 months of ownership with a brand new coach. Sorry to have gotten off topic but I'm thinking my experiences can help another owner. I have lots of pictures and documentation if it will help. Or you might be lucky and it could be just that open spot in the seal you found.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote