Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Jensen 7020 navigation

We just picked up our 2860ds and can't figure out how to get the voice guidance to work. We have voice guidance on, all the volumes Set to 80. What happens is the radio is on but when the voice guidance is going to come on, there is silence then the radio comes back on. Thanks
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

I'm having the same issue, ended up pulling the SD card out of the unit and using an external GPS. Pulling the SD stopped the annoying music interruption.

Forest River advised me to call ASA Electronics (877) 845-8750. I called and the person I spoke to never heard of that issue but said they would research it and get back to me. Been a week and haven't heard back think I call again. My thought is that it's a bad install on the SD card.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #3

This may or may not help since I am waiting for arrival of my new Sunseeker. But, in my car, I had this same problem.

Turns out, at least in my car, there are two "volume" controls but with one knob. When the radio/CD is playing, the volume control knob controls the volume as you would expect. When the voice navigation would come on, the volume knob controls the sound level of the nav system. I felt silly when I took my car into the dealer to fix the nav system and the service writer showed me how it worked. My volume for the nav system was turned all the way down.

Don't know if that's how the Jensen system works, but it won't hurt to try.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

Why not a Garmin?

I don't know why Forest River doesn't just install a Garmin GPS. They are the best in my opinion and there seems to be a lot of complaints and problems with the Jensen. Go figure (??)
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

Jensen 7020 navagation

Thanks for the replies, I also called service
Old 11-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

I called Asa service they had no idea what to do. He said reset the system by pushing in the button under the volume control. I did this and asked him how to access the simulation tool. He had no idea but had heard of it. I asked him if voice guidance worked on the feature will it work when really using it didn't know. So I found the simulation and it did work, but when we use for real I'm not sure what will happen I will try it this weekend and let you know. Also I think the maps were updated in December 2014 and there was one update in Jan 2015 - does any one know if it is worth trying to upgrade the upgrade process sounds like pain
Old 11-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

I had the same issue on a 2290SF. Solved problem by pulling the micro chip and going to Jensen site and reprograming the chip.
Naviextras_Toolbox_Setup.exe might be the site. Doesn't work with Mac's or Lynx.
Hope this helps.
Larry
Chief4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

Thanks, When I spoke to ASA and asked about using a mac his response was go find someone with a different computer - Talking about back customer service, I was shocked at his response. When you go out through the link you mentioned, is it clear as to how to reprogram? Based on my conversations with ASA they don't appear to to user or customer friendly. Thanks for the information
Old 11-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #9

We had it done by the dealer because we only had Mac's. It took all night for the file to download. It was a big file. You have to use the Micro SD Card that is in the unit. We tried with a new 4GB card and it wouldn't take it.
Ours is the VX7020a.
Try googling Naviextras_Toolbox, or just Naviextras.
Good luck.
Chief4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #10

I had an issue with my Jensen, different model, right after I got it and did a reboot with the paper clip button on front. That fixed it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
hifromkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
We just picked up our 2860ds and can't figure out how to get the voice guidance to work. We have voice guidance on, all the volumes Set to 80. What happens is the radio is on but when the voice guidance is going to come on, there is silence then the radio comes back on. Thanks
Hi Steveanddiane,

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances.

I hope you have been able to get the voice prompt audio working since your posting, however, if you have not, this should help get your unit working.

The VX7020A has dedicated navigation sound settings. These can be accessed by pressing the icon with four horizontal lines in the right hand corner of the navigation screen and then go to Settings>Sound. If you refer to sec "4.3.2 Sound Settings" of the Navigation Manual (page 78), you can see there is a "Master" and a "Voice" volume control. It has been determined the default Master volume level of 49% is too low, even when the Voice volume level is 100%. It is recommended to adjust both the Master and Voice volume level to 100%. Then, with music active in the radio or CD mode, run the navigation function with an active route to check for audible voice prompts.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Technical Services dept at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT and they will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

jensenrvdirect
JENSENRVDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #12

Try resetting the radio, that fixed the same issue for me. There is a very small reset button under the main power button. You'll need a pen tip or paper clip.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #13

Just a note to all the information received from the Jensen representative in the last item in this thread worked - it was the second volume setting that had to be changed. He said it had to be all the way up 49 is to low my was on 70 which when I moved it to 99 the voice came on and was at a good level not loud though. So just a quick thanks to the Jensen rep that responded in the thread
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
Took our new RV out to get our first Gas fill up and have it weighed. I programmed the Jensen Nav to direct us to the truck stop 5 miles away where the scale is located just to see how it works. I discovered a few things. First, I am having the same issue as Steve and Diane. Checking all the settings it seemed to be correct. I did see some posts in this thread about resetting the unit and adjusting the master up to 100% as possible fixs, so I will try both at the next opportunity. Also here are a few comments about the unit in general after our first use.
  • The screen text, fields, buttons are all way to small making the input of a destination field very tedious. Also, the slow response of the unit does not help much. Is there any way to adjust these?
  • Because of the items above and the position/angle of the radio in the cab, voice guidance is critical since you will not really be able to see the screen well while driving. Hopefully I can get the voice guidance working.
  • The NAV maps are over two years old on a so I will have to look at getting an updated map.
  • I will most likely use the NAV on my phone 95% of the time however for those times where cell service is not available (and there will be several), having a functioning stand alone NAV will be important.
  • Also, on the return trip the radio displayed a Memory Error. (see attached) Not sure what this is about yet but if anyone has had this happen before and has some input, please feel free to reply.

RVr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160206_140244.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	99153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160206_155244.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	99154  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #15

On a related point, if the NAV is on and you have the radio playing, is there a way to turn the radio off? I realize from this thread you can turn the radio volume down but is there a way to turn the radio off? What I found is that hitting the power button to mute the music also mutes the NAV instructions.

I suppose the fallback would be to turn the radio volume down to 0, but then it could be confusing next time someone wants to use the radio as to why it's not going on.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #16

I change from radio to Bluetooth and the Nav continues but no static or music between announcements. But I don't use the Nav much as it doesnt give me traffic updates. Google is better for that. The only issues are that she takes me on crazy shortcuts to save 10 seconds, and I can't programme to avoid toll highways. Many of these roads don't have attendants any more. So you need a pass. We're from Canada, and I don't want a pass for each state. I wound up buying one for Florida, as we are frequent flyers there, but in Houston it was a huge pain to get around without hitting a toll road. So the Nav in vehicle was useful there so I could program it.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #17

The newest Google maps update made it harder to program to avoid tolls but it can be done for each trip individually. I googled how to do it. You must set it up after entering your new navigate location but before you start to navigate.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
hifromkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #18

JENSENRVdirect, your post was the answer to my GPS voice prompt problem. I had changed the settings on my own to no avail because i did not set the volume nearly high enough.

Part of the problem is that the radio volume blasts us out of the cabin if set over 20percent, so i was reluctant to set it very high. I tried everything, called tech support three times. They finally instructed me to replace the radio. I knew it was not a hardware problem, but could not work the trick, and neither could tech support.

Seems like an easy solution is to make the default setting one in which the vocal prompt works.

Anyway, your answer solve my headache.
Nielsenfm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen