Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Jensen Radio NAV

Re-posting a prior thread which I updated but for some reason was not showing up as updated.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-95328.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
"We just picked up our 2860ds and can't figure out how to get the voice guidance to work. We have voice guidance on, all the volumes Set to 80. What happens is the radio is on but when the voice guidance is going to come on, there is silence then the radio comes back on. Thanks"

Took our new RV out to get our first Gas fill up and have it weighed. I programmed the Jensen Nav to direct us to the truck stop 5 miles away where the scale is located just to see how it works. I discovered a few things. First, I am having the same issue as Steve and Diane. Checking all the settings it seemed to be correct. I did see some posts in this thread about resetting the unit and adjusting the master up to 100% as possible fixs, so I will try both at the next opportunity. Also here are a few comments about the unit in general after our first use.
  • The screen text, fields, buttons are all way to small making the input of a destination field very tedious. Also, the slow response of the unit does not help much. Is there any way to adjust these?
  • Because of the items above and the position/angle of the radio in the cab, voice guidance is critical since you will not really be able to see the screen well while driving. Hopefully I can get the voice guidance working.
  • The NAV maps are over two years old on a so I will have to look at getting an updated map.
  • I will most likely use the NAV on my phone 95% of the time however for those times where cell service is not available (and there will be several), having a functioning stand alone NAV will be important.
  • Also, on the return trip the radio displayed a Memory Error. (see attached) Not sure what this is about yet but if anyone has had this happen before and has some input, please feel free to reply.

RVr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160206_155244.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	99162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160206_140244.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	99163  
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

Haven't really tried mine yet. Just bought 3011 a couple of weeks ago. Not very impressed. Can't really see the display from the driver's seat. I do like that it has truck/RV settings, though, but I'm not sure I can trust it on our upcoming cross country trip. Will probably get a Garmin

Forester 3011DS
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 AM   #3

NewRVer, looks like your map software is one year and 2 months old. That's not too bad. If your unit is less than 30 days old, you can get a free update.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #4

I'm not sure that's the map date, but the iGo nav software. You can get an update for that easily. To see the map dates you need to pull the microSD card and look at the files in the app you download from iGo. Which only works on a PC, by the way.

I paid for new maps back in Sept before a big trip. It cost approx $80.

We use the Jensen quite a lot and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. So much so we decided to not buy a Garmin.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #5

Jensen Radio NAV

Creative, I had to use naviextras on a pc a few months ago when checking software updates. Why is this igo? Is this new?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
NewRVer, looks like your map software is one year and 2 months old. That's not too bad. If your unit is less than 30 days old, you can get a free update.
I just noticed that last night when looking at my pics again. I will probably go through the process of trying to update anyway just so I know how to do it and to get the most up to date since there is a 3Q15 version.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Creative, I had to use naviextras on a pc a few months ago when checking software updates. Why is this igo? Is this new?
Naviextra's is where you get the plugin and the maps, but iGO is on the mapping software logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 10.31.11 AM.png
Views:	167
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	99247  
Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #8

I keep getting the no memory error also. No idea why
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:24 AM   #9

Creativepart is correct about naviextras and iGo. I read somewhere that iGo is located in Hungary and uses TomTom maps for USA and Canada, may be more.

Benagi, any luck with your maps?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I keep getting the no memory error also. No idea why
I have not had an opportunity to load the updated Maps and use the NAV again as the weather has been poor. I need to go get an inspection sticker yet so that may be my next opportunity to see if there is any noticeable difference or if the memory error is still an issue.

RVr
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Creativepart is correct about naviextras and iGo. I read somewhere that iGo is located in Hungary and uses TomTom maps for USA and Canada, may be more.

Benagi, any luck with your maps?

I haven't contacted them yet. Still on my list of things to do.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #12

Update to larger micro SD went smooth. I have the Jensen V7020A.
Download naviextras to pc
Insert micro SD from nav unit
Click backup to create backup
Insert larger new blank micro SD
Click backup then restore
When all done click update
That was it. Super easy and without any errors or problems. Maps is Q3 2015
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

I finally had a chance to load the new maps into the Jensen and drive the RV for about 30 miles to get a NJ inspection sticker. Did not notice much difference and it is still a pain to enter a destination address. I really wish the unit would allow you to enter a field entirely before starting a search as it is just not fast enough to take the current "google like" approach. Anyway, the one thing I did notice was that several times during the drive the voice navigation would instruct me to make a turn which was opposite what the map was indicating. Since this my local neighborhood, that was not a issue as I knew where I was going. However, in unfamiliar territory and with a 32' truck, that could be a bit of a problem.

I did notice that the GPS antenna was mounted on the dash just in front of the driver. Is it possible that depending on the direction the RV is traveling that the GPS may not know where it is because the bunk over the cab is blocking the GPS signal?

One other note. I was finally able to get the voice guidance to work by setting the master volume up close to 100 however the voice guidance quit working on both the up and down trips and I had to power off the radio to get it back to working. Additionally, on the trip back when I did this the guidance volume was very low even though the Master setting was still at near 100. Problem for another day I guess......

RVr
Old 05-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Update to larger micro SD went smooth. I have the Jensen V7020A.
Download naviextras to pc
Insert micro SD from nav unit
Click backup to create backup
Insert larger new blank micro SD
Click backup then restore
When all done click update
That was it. Super easy and without any errors or problems. Maps is Q3 2015

Can this all be done on an MacAirbook? Do you know if it’s compatible?
Gaga1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #15

Updated the SD card to a larger card, copied all the files from the original card. Put it back into the dash GPS and it doesn’t work. I suspect the original message about being out of memory was not the problem but something wrong with the GPS itself. Who do I contact, the dealer, Jenson or Ford? It’s a 2017 Forester 3011ds
Gaga1951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen, radio