Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Jensen TV voltage drop

2016 3010DS. Jensen TV when turned on reduces voltage from that connection from 12 volts +/- to 10 volts or less. When dry camping, the tv will stay on until almost anything else is activated (water pump, furnace motor, etc), then tv shuts off. Can be turned back on once offending other device is turned off.

Coach batteries are less than one season old and show consistent 12 volts +, while this is going on, (plus good hygrometer readings) and monitoring 12 volts outlets elsewhere in the coach shows they maintain the proper 12 volts + level.

Any ideas?
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #2

I would trace the circuit back and ensure all connections are good and tight Or place the TV on a different 12 circuit
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

I have seen that happen on TV’s with low voltage. So what is the resting voltage reading of your batteries separately? 12v + is meaningless as 12.1v is about 50% charge aka headed to dead.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

The Voltage at the Battery is probably not the issue. You need to measure the voltage at the 12V connector going into the TV. DC voltage drops significantly based on length and gauge of wire. I actually had to rewire a DC circuit in my RV to resolve a similar issue. Not sure how the existing wire was run or if the gauge was constant across the entire length, but a shorter run from the disconnect switch with a better grade of cable solved the issue.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

I had an issue with the Jensen TV in the living area of my 2016 3010 DS. Not sure it is the same as yours because I never related it to turning on another device. But mine would shut off and I found a bad crimped connector on the 12 volt supply line. I just re-crimped it and it's been fine since. Next time I'm out which will be next week I'll try what you explain.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohinaz1970 View Post
2016 3010DS. Jensen TV when turned on reduces voltage from that connection from 12 volts +/- to 10 volts or less. When dry camping, the tv will stay on until almost anything else is activated (water pump, furnace motor, etc), then tv shuts off. Can be turned back on once offending other device is turned off.

Coach batteries are less than one season old and show consistent 12 volts +, while this is going on, (plus good hygrometer readings) and monitoring 12 volts outlets elsewhere in the coach shows they maintain the proper 12 volts + level.

Any ideas?
Hey, hmm I didn’t realize the Jensen TVs were 12V. I have a 2020 32BH Vibe and a 50” Jensen in the living room. It cycled off 5 times in a 20 minute time frame the last time we were out. It’s plugged into a regular outlet. Anyway I’d check all the connection points as another has said. I wonder if the same wire is shared with another appliance?
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #7

That's termed an "IR" drop and occurs when the line going to the appliance, in this case the TV, has a voltage drop. It's caused by the guage of the wire being too small combined with the length. I have the same problem with the front TV on my 2860DS. I made my problem worse by putting in a larger TV. The larger TV requres more current which just exacerbates the problem. I now have to plug the front TV into the dash's 12 connector.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen, voltage