Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brian View Post
Can you clarify the model or your RV and fridge? Do you have propane? Does the fridge allow for both electrical and propane power?

Forester 2401W MBS domestic ref. and yessir we have elect or propane.
clanthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #22
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanthon View Post
Forester 2401W MBS domestic ref. and yessir we have elect or propane.
I really do not have a clue as to why you asked for suggestions to overcome a problem that you are creating. Maybe if we knew why you chose not to use the propane while driving we might better understand.

That not withstanding, there are new 12v refrigerators available now that are direct replacements for gas/electric models. You might consider that as an alternative.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #23

At the time of the post, I thought using the frozen bottle of water would save propane but since, I discovered that very little propane is used.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #24
Site Team

We ran a poll once upon a time asking if people used LP on their refer while on the road.
It came back about 2/3 yes.
I do as well.
I'm pretty fond of a cold adult beverage when we arrive at a new camp site. Leaving the refer on auto makes that happen.

One tip. If you have not used your LP for a while and if you had your tanks off it can take a while for the LP to reach the refer. My stove is next to the refer so when I'm preparing to bug out and my LP has been off, I turn on the tanks and open a burner and wait until I can light it. Sometimes it takes several seconds. If you leave it to the refer to do this, it can fault out due to trying to light so many times.
By getting LP to my stove I can turn on the refer and it will light in a few seconds.
Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanthon View Post
At the time of the post, I thought using the frozen bottle of water would save propane but since, I discovered that very little propane is used.
You are correct. It also depends on how long you're driving. Like most refrigerators, it will hold the cold for a period of time... with or without a frozen bottle of water.

We tend to leave the fridge on 'auto' which will automatically switch to propane when you unplug from electric and off when you plug in the rig . It saved us one time when we forgot to switch the breaker on at the campground. (It was daylight, we took off to do sightseeing and discovered our mistake when we returned.) We have an easily accessible switch to turn off the propane at gas stations and we do turn the propane off while filling up. It's probably not necessary, but gives us a sense of security.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #26

Forever learning process.Thank you