Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

King Jack Antenna on 2017 Forester

We picked up our new 2017 Forester 2861DS on January 17th. We're still going through everything and have a question regarding the antenna.

The brochure for the Forester states that it includes a King Jack antenna and a brochure picture of the interior of the Forester shows the antenna with the built-in signal meter lights. Here is a link to the antenna on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8201-A...k+king+antenna

In our unit, the interior base plate that has the handle you use to rotate the antenna does not have the signal meter lights. The holes are there but there is a white sticker covering the holes so I'm assuming the antenna does not have the built-in signal meter.

Has anyone else run into this? Does your antenna have the signal meter and lights? Did someone just forget to install ours?

Thank you.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I would contact KingConnect in MN and ask them if they build a model (possibly for the RV industry) that does not include the built in signal meter.

Often times companies will build a specific (less expensive model) for OEM's.

Here is a link to their *CUSTOMER SERVICE* page.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #3

Sorry, can't answer your question, but I installed a King on my last RV and loved it. Wish I had one on my new RV. These Omni antenna's are junk. Enjoy your new RV.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Jack of All Trades

Have you checked on the roof to ensure you have a King antenna and not something else?
They could have changed what is supplied since the brochure was printed.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
Have you checked on the roof to ensure you have a King antenna and not something else?
They could have changed what is supplied since the brochure was printed.

Rick

Good point.

Yup, it is a King antenna.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
Jack of All Trades

Are you saying there is no knob to rotate the antenna?

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #7

Try contacting Elkhart Warranty, 55135 C.R. 1, Elkhart, IN 46514 Phone (574) 206-7600.
Jesse Balch is a Parts Administrator, for the mid-west USA. Email address jbalch@forestriverinc.com, phone number, (574) 206-7624.
Mike Jankowski Manager is a Warranty Administrator, for the mid-west USA. Email address mjankowski@forestriverinc.com, phone number, (574) 206-7625.
You will need your VIN number. You should be able to find out what was installed.
Good luck
ilcamphost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleysMom View Post
Has anyone else run into this? Does your antenna have the signal meter and lights? Did someone just forget to install ours?

Thank you.
In answer to your question, we took delivery of our 2017 2861DS last August and it does have the signal meter and lights. I find it very useful, hope you get this sorted out.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Our early build 2017 GTS has the signal strength meter. You might want to PM Joshua Cavitt and ask him for a definite answer....
Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

On mine the signal booster switch has to be on to get the LED lights to come on. There is also a small switch on the side of the panel for the LED's to turn the power on. The booster switch supplies the 12V power for the antenna
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #11
Class C Representative

This is not a warranty issue. We switched to this King Jack antenna sometime within the last year.

As the brochure states we are still using a King Jack antenna it's just a different model than before.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #13

King Jack

The manufacturer makes a number of models. You have the basic model installed. No lights on that model. Sorry.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
The manufacturer makes a number of models. You have the basic model installed. No lights on that model. Sorry.

Thanks for the information.

The antenna plate that is attached to the ceiling on our basic model antenna still has the holes that are used for the signal meter lights on the upgraded model.

I'm picky, I know, but I wish the interior base plate for the basic model didn't just have the holes for the lights covered up with a white sticker. That's kind of tacky.....
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #15

Our 2017 doesn't have the lights either =( Now I'm wondering if it is something that can be easily added.
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #16
Class C Representative

I am on a plane now. When I get to my hotel room I will make a few calls for you to find out how those signal meter lights can be added aftermarket.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 02-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
I am on a plane now. When I get to my hotel room I will make a few calls for you to find out how those signal meter lights can be added aftermarket.
Thank you so much!
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
We would be interested also. Thank you Joshua.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
Class C Representative

You will need to call Customer Service at King from there you can purchase a new base. The satellite will have a black coax wire coming down through the ceiling to hook the new Signal meter base to.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #20

Quote:
You will need to call Customer Service at King from there you can purchase a new base. The satellite will have a black coax wire coming down through the ceiling to hook the new Signal meter base to.
Thank you for this information Joshua. I'm confused when you say "...the satellite...". We have just a regular TV antenna, not a satellite antenna. Will there still be a black coax wire from our regular antenna to connect to the new base so the signal meter and lights will work?

Tags
antenna, forester