Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Leak in cab after rain

Our brand new Forest River Forester 2401W has leaked rain water into the Sprinter Cab after a heavy rain. Water pours into the cab on passenger and driver side near the door and through the dome light. It is quite a bit of water that comes in. You can hear water sloshing above the cab ceiling. This unit has only been on one trip since we bought it in May. No vents or windows are open. We live 250 from the dealer, and it has already spent one month at the dealer for a multitude of other problems. Please advise.
MarthaNoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like you have a leak that is allowing the water to run on to the M-B cab's roof liner. That would explain it being on both sides near the doors and the dome light. The first place I'd look is the sealing between the M-B cab and the over the cab cap FR installed. Does the leak occur when you are driving in rain or parked?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Check the clearance lights over the cab. Mine were not sealed properly. I removed the covers (just snap off), removed the retaining screw and sealed them with Dicor behind the plate..

Also check the raised edges screws that run from the front to the rear of the coach on both sides of the roof. Mine were not sealed at all. Applied Dicor to the screw heads.

Better yet, take it to a closer place that can do warranty work.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

We haven't driven it it the rain. It has happened twice while sitting in our yard.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

I wish I could take to another place! San Antonio dealer is the closest, and it's 260 miles from my home.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaNoell View Post
I wish I could take to another place! San Antonio dealer is the closest, and it's 260 miles from my home.

You might be able to contact forest river and get approval on having a mobile RV tech come look at it.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
2019 Renegade Verona LE

Caulking leak between roof and front cap

We had the same problem with water coming in to the headliner. I would only do it when it was raining very hard. The dealer did a "air compression test". This is where the seal the entire MH and then pump air into the inside. They then ran water over every seam. They removed and cleaned the faulty caulk (this was from the factory) and replaced it. We have not had any additional problems. Good Luck. (2013 Lexington 283TS)
CaboSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #8

I have a similar problem with my 2014R Solera, have not found the leak yet ( purchased used so no warrant ) but in the mean time I drilled a very small hole (1/8" also make sure you clear the hole once and a while , being that small it has a tendency to clog up) into the cap at its lowest point which is about 6 inches from the windshield on the passengers side. it would probably work also on the drivers side but where I have it stored the RV leans to the right because of the grade . I have been on the roof twice but have not found any gaps so before I put it away for the winter I will have it checked at a local dealer
7jackson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Check with FR Csvc an see if they have a closer ATHU service center
wrt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

We had water rushing into the cab on our 2011 Lexington. One of the clearance lights on top of the cab fell out & was dangling by the wires. We were in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, so my DH climbed onto the roof and duck taped it back in until we could get out of the rain and do a better job. I would definitely start with those clearance lights.
grandmapaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmapaula View Post
We had water rushing into the cab on our 2011 Lexington. One of the clearance lights on top of the cab fell out & was dangling by the wires. We were in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, so my DH climbed onto the roof and duck taped it back in until we could get out of the rain and do a better job. I would definitely start with those clearance lights.
Agree, the clearance lights especially since its parked, seems to be coming straight down as opposed to coming in around the seal between the cab and coach body. Get with Forest River to get her fixed up before secondary damage occurs.
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #12
nosaint3

Fought a slideout leak in my Trilogy for almost two years. Factory finally discovered the seal wasn't sealed to the side. Once glued down it was fine. Hoping the rain we had didn't ruin the seal someplace.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaint3 View Post
Fought a slideout leak in my Trilogy for almost two years. Factory finally discovered the seal wasn't sealed to the side. Once glued down it was fine. Hoping the rain we had didn't ruin the seal someplace.
just returned from COACHMEN FACTORY, great bunch of folks, outstanding service, left NO STONE UNTURNED, found out why I had 2 of my 3 slides leaking in big rains, they pulled the slides out of the Concord and did a total rebuild/fix, done right and spared no expense. I highly recommend anyone that can return to their FACTORY for repairs of stuff that concerns the COACH meaning not the accessories, although Coachmen brought in the BIG FOOT guys in to fix a bad connection to my leveling system.
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #14

Cab/Cap leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaNoell View Post
Our brand new Forest River Forester 2401W has leaked rain water into the Sprinter Cab after a heavy rain. Water pours into the cab on passenger and driver side near the door and through the dome light. It is quite a bit of water that comes in. You can hear water sloshing above the cab ceiling. This unit has only been on one trip since we bought it in May. No vents or windows are open. We live 250 from the dealer, and it has already spent one month at the dealer for a multitude of other problems. Please advise.
We had the identical problem with our Solera 24R where about a gallon of water spilled through the visors when I moved it after a hard rain...took it to the dealer, and found out that the sealant was not applied correctly during manufacture...had mud and water tracks under cap overlap, and they were separated by about an inch so water could literally pour in during a hard rain...the unit has been resealed and it was covered under warranty. The technician sounded like he really knew what he was talking about...
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #15

Hi, I had the same issue with my brand new rig! I'm fighting with the dealer for a resolution. That aside, I was told by Forest River that Camping World is an authorized warranty facility. Hopefully , there's one near you that's closer than the dealer.
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

Wow! It seems to be a real construction flaw with these coaches. This is the third thread and more than a dozen complaints about the same issue
Old 01-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntielo1 View Post
Wow! It seems to be a real construction flaw with these coaches. This is the third thread and more than a dozen complaints about the same issue
Just seems to be business as usual with FR. There commitment to quality products made by gifted craftsmen, followed up by a real good quality control inspection.
Grumpy :roflb lack:
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #18

Oh lord! Not another one! I'm so sorry. Mind leaked just like yours after only 10 days (first rain). The dealers solution was to put a freaking huge amount of dicor on the seams bug told me all the trapped water would just have to 'dry out'. Not good enough for me. Worried about mold.

Hello Forest River, please do something about these leaks on brand new rigs.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #19

I have the same problem with my new Foester 2401W. Unfortunately I live 600 miles from the dealer I bought it from. I took it to an authorized repair place where I live. They re sealed the front part of the roof... still leaking big time. I'm wondering if there is a manufacturing defect I haven't heard about. Has anyone else with this issue had it resolved?
Dago Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #20

I had a small leak shortly after I received my unit. All of the sealant on the roof seams looked fine. I notice moisture inside some of the clearance lights and on further inspection saw that sealant was lacking around the base plates. The lens just snap on and don't provide a good seal. I removed the base plates and resealed them insuring all wiring holes were completed covered. No leaks to date.

Tags
leak