Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Leaking from water pump "pre" filter ??

I seem to have a leak before the water pump. There seems to be a very small "filter" between the water tank and before the water pump ? I don't really know what it is called or if it is indeed a filter ? I'm trying to attach a photo. If anyone knows what this is or where to get one, can they please tell me ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prewaterfilter-2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	189394  
Old 10-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

It is a strainer for coarse sediment, try to tightened the ring, might be loose.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-255-3...st-On+Strainer
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

The clear cup has an o-ring. Unscrew the cup, clean it up and check to be sure the o-ring is still in good shape.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

Thanks much.. I think the plastic housing might be cracked. In any case, knowing it is called a "strainer",it was easy for me to look up and find something on amazon. They only appear to be about $10.... However, it still might not be clear to me exactly which one to get for replacement, or how to easily "install" it... but I'm a lot further along than an hour ago...
Old 10-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Just check if it has threads on both ends or not, then buy the one that matches.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #6

two is one, one is none...

Buy two.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

If it is cracked, it might not have been drained when you winterized the unit. The water in the cup can freeze and crack it. When you winterize, take the cup off (after you drain the fresh water tank, of course) and take the hose off the other end of the water pump and turn it on to get the water out of the pump so it won't freeze.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #8

I got rid of that filter and put in a 3 way valve to winterize the RV. It fits perfectly into that location. I will post pics next time i am at the RV. sillt strainer anyways and makes a 5 min job to winterize and allows me to easily drain the fresh water tank is it had water in it from a trip.

Bob
Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

Yes, I think that is very possible that it froze after I winterized last year. I did not take it off after I drained the fresh water tank. Actually, most years, including this year. I'm taking the it down to warmer temperatures for storage. That is what I am doing right now. In the warmer climate, I'm able to just blow out the lines and drain the fresh water and hot water tanks and it survives just fine.. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the part before I pick it up next year.

Also, I can't find they sell just the plastic piece. However, for the price, I will buy a full assembly and try to just use the plastic part and hopefully not have to replace the full assembly. It seems kind of tight in the space and I might have to take apart more of the wall than I would like to... Also, without pulling it part, it seems that the top part is threaded and the bottom part is "barbed". I don't actually see any assemblies that look that way...
In any case, thanks much to everyone who responded.
I'm extremely glad this forum exists.. Just the fact that I really didn't know this was called a "strainer" and someone was able to give me that simple fact, moved me a long way... Maybe I'm just naive, but thanks anyway..
Old 02-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #10

This is a bump up after the recent deep-freeze in Texas... this "pipe strainer" is definitely an issue to deal with when winterizing. It's also an issue to deal with when you are cleaning up after your less than completely effective winterizing. (Along with the water filter housing that had never previously been a problem with freezes.) Winterizing for -2-degrees F and several days in the teens is definitely different that winterizing for a night or two of lows in the 20s...

David & Elise
Windjammer 3001W
RAM 3500 SRW
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

I was warned about that strainer cracking on this forum. My first winter after winterizing my first time, I blew out the lines but neglected that strainer. After reading about it here, sure enough, it was full of water when I checked. Got lucky, didn't crack. Now I'm sure to unscrew it and leave it off until things get back above freezing. I've seen replacements for about 9 bucks on Amazon. Looks like price has gone up. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+water+..._ts-doa-p_1_16
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #12
law

I just found the strainer was leaking. That was after I found the filter canister cracked from freezing. I am hoping my pump didn't crack or anything else. It makes a sound when i turn it on but I have not run water through it.
I was hoping I had beat the freeze by running the tank heaters (arctic pac) during the freeze. Next time Im putting a space heater in that compartment.
I dont "winterize" since we use the RV just as much during the winter as we do during the summer. We had planned taking a trip the weekend the freeze happened. Im smarter now.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by law View Post
I just found the strainer was leaking. That was after I found the filter canister cracked from freezing. I am hoping my pump didn't crack or anything else. It makes a sound when i turn it on but I have not run water through it.
I was hoping I had beat the freeze by running the tank heaters (arctic pac) during the freeze. Next time Im putting a space heater in that compartment.
I dont "winterize" since we use the RV just as much during the winter as we do during the summer. We had planned taking a trip the weekend the freeze happened. Im smarter now.
A 100 watt light bulb in each “wet” compartment works great. Few weeks back when the outside temperature here was 21 the compartments showed 43.

Tags
leak, pump, water, water pump