Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I work in the insurance industry as an inspector.
I used to work at GM..I am an electrical engineer.

When I was at the GM proving grounds talking to people doing ECM work on one of the engines at the time, they told me stories and stories of aftermarket tuner people doing things that made no sense since they had no idea what the designers had to go through to come up with the parameters programmed.

This reminds me exactly of that.

Funny...almost every one of my cars has radiators with aluminum cores with plastic tanks. My truck has 105K miles and my Lexus has 205K miles. Never had a problem.

I see you live right around the block from me...I am in Chatsworth.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I used to work at GM..I am an electrical engineer.

When I was at the GM proving grounds talking to people doing ECM work on one of the engines at the time, they told me stories and stories of aftermarket tuner people doing things that made no sense since they had no idea what the designers had to go through to come up with the parameters programmed.

This reminds me exactly of that.

Funny...almost every one of my cars has radiators with aluminum cores with plastic tanks. My truck has 105K miles and my Lexus has 205K miles. Never had a problem.

I see you live right around the block from me...I am in Chatsworth.
I am not changing any "tune". My gauge reads 209 all the time.
Hot or cold ambient temp. That is too hot IMO. That being said...it appears the gauge is wrong based on others and the thermostat being either a 182 or a 187. It probably runs at 195 most of the time. That is fine.
I just do not like running it at 209 all the time.
This motor has been around for a long time...hasn't changed that much- several variations I am sure.
I too have plastic tank radiators in my other vehicles. And I see them in my work every day "seeping" at the seals. (mine was "leaking")
These A/C Delco radiators have issues- according to a guy that sells a boatload of them to RV companies that I spoke with. GM is supposedly aware of it. maybe it's the way they are mounted and vibrations.
But like Ford, I am sure they will just keep using them for 10 more years.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Check your temp with a scan gauge or shoot the thermostat housing with an IR thermometer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Check your temp with a scan gauge or shoot the thermostat housing with an IR thermometer.
Both good ideas.
Scangauge is next up in my sack of goodies I think. After I finish fabbing up a new rear bicycle rack.

I just received an e-mail from Max Myers Motors in Indiana (dealership of origin for the cutaway). They said I was approved. Now to just confirm with GM and get this party started.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
Still no approval from GM. The "supervisor" still has to get approval from his bosses
I guess.
Picked up the rig and it's back in the driveway.
At least I get to work on my stuff this weekend.
Maybe next week?
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #26
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I am not changing any "tune". My gauge reads 209 all the time.
Hot or cold ambient temp. That is too hot IMO. That being said...it appears the gauge is wrong based on others and the thermostat being either a 182 or a 187. It probably runs at 195 most of the time. That is fine.
I just do not like running it at 209 all the time.
This motor has been around for a long time...hasn't changed that much- several variations I am sure.
I too have plastic tank radiators in my other vehicles. And I see them in my work every day "seeping" at the seals. (mine was "leaking")
These A/C Delco radiators have issues- according to a guy that sells a boatload of them to RV companies that I spoke with. GM is supposedly aware of it. maybe it's the way they are mounted and vibrations.
But like Ford, I am sure they will just keep using them for 10 more years.
Those little stepper motors GM uses in their clusters are not the most accurate devices. With variances of up to 5%, they're more of an indicating device than they are a measuring device.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
Update.
GM warranty finally got my local dealer the approval to do the repair.
Vehicle is in local dealer now.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 561
re

I have a 2015 4500 with 17000 miles on it and it will be 3 years old Dec 31. I pulled my little towed all over the southeast at a steady 210 degrees and it runs flawlessly. Just my opinion, you got a defective radiator go out and buy a new one there not that hard to replace, keep the damaged one and fight it out with GM. I don't think the engine temp. had anything to do with your radiator leak.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I have a 2015 4500 with 17000 miles on it and it will be 3 years old Dec 31. I pulled my little towed all over the southeast at a steady 210 degrees and it runs flawlessly. Just my opinion, you got a defective radiator go out and buy a new one there not that hard to replace, keep the damaged one and fight it out with GM. I don't think the engine temp. had anything to do with your radiator leak.
I agree- coolant temp did not have any affect. Just a crappy AC/Delco radiator tank seal.
Fortunately GM is putting in another A/C Delco radiator as we speak...or maybe unfortunately...time will tell..
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 561
re

Glad it worked out for you
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 660
They did also replace the radiator cap. Possibly thinking the cap was maybe holding too much pressure, causing the seal to leak- it only leaked when really hot.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500, leak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.