Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I work in the insurance industry as an inspector.
I used to work at GM..I am an electrical engineer.

When I was at the GM proving grounds talking to people doing ECM work on one of the engines at the time, they told me stories and stories of aftermarket tuner people doing things that made no sense since they had no idea what the designers had to go through to come up with the parameters programmed.

This reminds me exactly of that.

Funny...almost every one of my cars has radiators with aluminum cores with plastic tanks. My truck has 105K miles and my Lexus has 205K miles. Never had a problem.

I see you live right around the block from me...I am in Chatsworth.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I used to work at GM..I am an electrical engineer.

When I was at the GM proving grounds talking to people doing ECM work on one of the engines at the time, they told me stories and stories of aftermarket tuner people doing things that made no sense since they had no idea what the designers had to go through to come up with the parameters programmed.

This reminds me exactly of that.

Funny...almost every one of my cars has radiators with aluminum cores with plastic tanks. My truck has 105K miles and my Lexus has 205K miles. Never had a problem.

I see you live right around the block from me...I am in Chatsworth.
I am not changing any "tune". My gauge reads 209 all the time.
Hot or cold ambient temp. That is too hot IMO. That being said...it appears the gauge is wrong based on others and the thermostat being either a 182 or a 187. It probably runs at 195 most of the time. That is fine.
I just do not like running it at 209 all the time.
This motor has been around for a long time...hasn't changed that much- several variations I am sure.
I too have plastic tank radiators in my other vehicles. And I see them in my work every day "seeping" at the seals. (mine was "leaking")
These A/C Delco radiators have issues- according to a guy that sells a boatload of them to RV companies that I spoke with. GM is supposedly aware of it. maybe it's the way they are mounted and vibrations.
But like Ford, I am sure they will just keep using them for 10 more years.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

Check your temp with a scan gauge or shoot the thermostat housing with an IR thermometer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Check your temp with a scan gauge or shoot the thermostat housing with an IR thermometer.
Both good ideas.
Scangauge is next up in my sack of goodies I think. After I finish fabbing up a new rear bicycle rack.

I just received an e-mail from Max Myers Motors in Indiana (dealership of origin for the cutaway). They said I was approved. Now to just confirm with GM and get this party started.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #25

Still no approval from GM. The "supervisor" still has to get approval from his bosses
I guess.
Picked up the rig and it's back in the driveway.
At least I get to work on my stuff this weekend.
Maybe next week?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #26
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I am not changing any "tune". My gauge reads 209 all the time.
Hot or cold ambient temp. That is too hot IMO. That being said...it appears the gauge is wrong based on others and the thermostat being either a 182 or a 187. It probably runs at 195 most of the time. That is fine.
I just do not like running it at 209 all the time.
This motor has been around for a long time...hasn't changed that much- several variations I am sure.
I too have plastic tank radiators in my other vehicles. And I see them in my work every day "seeping" at the seals. (mine was "leaking")
These A/C Delco radiators have issues- according to a guy that sells a boatload of them to RV companies that I spoke with. GM is supposedly aware of it. maybe it's the way they are mounted and vibrations.
But like Ford, I am sure they will just keep using them for 10 more years.
Those little stepper motors GM uses in their clusters are not the most accurate devices. With variances of up to 5%, they're more of an indicating device than they are a measuring device.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #27

Update.
GM warranty finally got my local dealer the approval to do the repair.
Vehicle is in local dealer now.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #28

re

I have a 2015 4500 with 17000 miles on it and it will be 3 years old Dec 31. I pulled my little towed all over the southeast at a steady 210 degrees and it runs flawlessly. Just my opinion, you got a defective radiator go out and buy a new one there not that hard to replace, keep the damaged one and fight it out with GM. I don't think the engine temp. had anything to do with your radiator leak.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I have a 2015 4500 with 17000 miles on it and it will be 3 years old Dec 31. I pulled my little towed all over the southeast at a steady 210 degrees and it runs flawlessly. Just my opinion, you got a defective radiator go out and buy a new one there not that hard to replace, keep the damaged one and fight it out with GM. I don't think the engine temp. had anything to do with your radiator leak.
I agree- coolant temp did not have any affect. Just a crappy AC/Delco radiator tank seal.
Fortunately GM is putting in another A/C Delco radiator as we speak...or maybe unfortunately...time will tell..
Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #30

re

Glad it worked out for you
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #31

They did also replace the radiator cap. Possibly thinking the cap was maybe holding too much pressure, causing the seal to leak- it only leaked when really hot.

Tags
500, leak