Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Leaking radiator- 2015/16 Chevy 4500

Just noticed a leak. Only 9K miles in 2 years. Under warranty but this may be more difficult than it's worth. No "middle weight truck" GM service center in my town- even though it's just a van with a standard 6.0.
Not worth paying for a tow since I can do the job myself for under $300- radiator replacement . I can do it in my driveway instead of moving it maybe 40 miles.
I have an open GM service ticket and am waiting for them to call back.
We will see how this plays out.
Luckily the leak just started it appears and it is in my RV driveway...not hundreds of miles from home.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

If you have a good radiator shop near you, they might just be able to fix it without removing the whole radiator. Dealer may be able to process a warranty claim as "sublet labor".

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If you have a good radiator shop near you, they might just be able to fix it without removing the whole radiator. Dealer may be able to process a warranty claim as "sublet labor".
Looks like it's leaking out of the passenger side plastic tank seal.
Not going to fix a $250 radiator with that breach.
If GM will allow it- I will take it to a sublet repair shop. I have a few shops that can do it...only if they pay. We will wait and see. Otherwise I will just do it myself.
Only 10 months left on the full warranty anyways.

And I will put in a 190 thermostat so it doesn't run at 210 all the time.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

Even through its a medium duty truck did you talk to the local dealer. For me the one closets is a bunch of doings and they won't work on my service van even though tey will sell one. But the one the next town over will and they aren't a medium duty truck shop
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Even through its a medium duty truck did you talk to the local dealer. For me the one closets is a bunch of doings and they won't work on my service van even though tey will sell one. But the one the next town over will and they aren't a medium duty truck shop
I did talk to them. They even have large bays .
They told me they will not get reimbursed for the warranty work even though it is really no different than the van front end.
Probably because it's a 4500 and not a 3500.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

If it is still under warranty, then GM will pay to tow it to a repair dealer. Call GM Roadside Assistance to set it up. Make sure that they understand that you have a motorhome built on a 4500 Express cutaway chassis and they need to send a medium duty wrecker. I have a 2014 Concord on the same chassis and had to do it a couple of times.
billcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Update...
GM is allowing me to use a local RV repair shop here in town.
I stressed I could not drive it far and I would not tow it. (I do not want to tow it on a hook if I can help it- too much damage possibility)
Dropping it off today.
I am also going to ask them to install a 187 thermostat if possible- I do not like it running at 210 all the time- hot or cold.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

Engine temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Looks like it's leaking out of the passenger side plastic tank seal.
Not going to fix a $250 radiator with that breach.
If GM will allow it- I will take it to a sublet repair shop. I have a few shops that can do it...only if they pay. We will wait and see. Otherwise I will just do it myself.
Only 10 months left on the full warranty anyways.

And I will put in a 190 thermostat so it doesn't run at 210 all the time.
That was my first thought when I saw how hot new engines ran. New, lean burn engines need the heat to be efficient and keep all the engine systems happy. Cooler temps may adversely affect the engine management parameters. The theory of unintended consequences. Been out of auto repair to be up to date on modern engine systems.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Yup. you may get a OBD 2 Code.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

Done this to all my rigs several of my rigs. AC Delco lists a 187 as the primary temp thermostat for this rig anyway it seems.
With a 187 in it- it will still run at 190-200 anyways. That is not enough to throw off any systems. Think startup- the computer will just adjust. Now the performance may drop off a bit but I don't care.
Smogging it can be an issue down the road. You just have to get them hot enough.
The gauge reads a hair under 210 at operating temp- the factory gauge actually may be wrong anyway. AC Delco 131-160 is a 187 thermostat listed for this vehicle.
I maybe just being too anal but since they are going to be in there anyway- for $50- I like some piece of mind.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

Thermostat isn’t going to change much, engines like to be run hot, 200*+ better for them. Just has to be able to be a “controlled” hot. One of the keys to running a hot engine is the engine oil temperature, good quality oil is a MUST!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Thermostat isn’t going to change much, engines like to be run hot, 200*+ better for them. Just has to be able to be a “controlled” hot. One of the keys to running a hot engine is the engine oil temperature, good quality oil is a MUST!
Mobil 1 in all my stuff..
It will probably run at 195 ish anyway with the 187 therm.
May be there now and the gauge is wrong. I have read that also- the dash gauges are not correct.

Your statement that "engines like to run hot" may be correct...but I like to run them a little cooler if possible as I stated before in my post.
More room is left for error or failure.
Diesels...different story- get em hot...

Anyways- putting the 187 in for good measure.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #13

Get a Scangage. It gives a digital readout from the OBD connection. It will give lots of other useful information including transmission temperature.

There are also some products available that plug into the OBD connection and send info to your smartphone using wifi.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #14

Update...
Seems I am getting screwed.
GM decided to not cover the radiator under warranty- they stated my warranty expired even though I have 10 months left.
My dealer (Mike Thompson in L.A.) never sent in the delayed warranty start form.
GM shows the date it was sold to Forest River.
I am going to try to send the info to the dealer of origin in Indiana to see if they can do something. They are familiar with this problem. I have a call to GM supervisor.
In the mean time- GM already set up the repair with a local shop, I pulled the rig out and dropped it off there, they did their estimate and now I don't know when it will be done. I now have to go back and pick up the rig. Don't want to leave it there.
I may do the work myself and save the receipts. I can do it for under $300.
Typical moronic RV dealer and warranty program nonsense.
Precisely why I NEVER buy extended warranties.

I could have completed the repair in the time I have used trying to get this repaired so far.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #15

I fail to see the point of putting the lower temp thermostat in it. The engineers that designed it probably know more about why it needs to be higher than the rest of us.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

The 190 degree stat you are considering is the opening temp of the thermostat . All things considered, coolant volume, outside temp, load , radiator size etc. I wouldn't bet that will change your operating temp. Might change your heater output when it's really cold outside though. Just my understanding of the way things work
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #17

The warranty does not start until you took possession of the unit. Not when it was sold to forest river.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock;1661506[B
]I fail to see the point of putting the lower temp thermostat in it.[/B] The engineers that designed it probably know more about why it needs to be higher than the rest of us.
Everyone does...but my stuff last longer than everyones also.

I work in the insurance industry as an inspector.
I see a lot of stoopid stuff manufacturers do...like putting crappy plastic tank radiators with cheap seals to alum cores in heavy duty rigs that rattle your teeth sometimes. (what failed at 9k miles in mine)

I see scores of transmissions fail at 102k miles when the fluid change interval recommended by the manufacturer is 100k.

How about plastic fuel lines near exhausts?

I could go on. You get the point.
I like overkill...and a little wiggle room when a problem occurs.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
The warranty does not start until you took possession of the unit. Not when it was sold to forest river.
Agreed.
The idiot RV dealer didn't send in the delayed warranty ppw to GM.
There was an 11 month delay in first sale to Forest River and my purchasing it.
GM is now working to fix this. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #20

Back to the thermostat...the repair shop said it is a 182 in the housing. (they did not remove it- just researched it I guess)
If that is the case (I will only believe it when I see it with my own eyes) then my gauge is off- like others have stated. Should run at about 195 hot with the scangauge. I may get one of those- as previously stated- trans temp is very helpfull even though I know how to be easy on that also when driving.

Tags
500, leak