Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

LED lights failing

So it looks like Command Electronics started producing a 9 LED light Vs the 3 LED light that are installed in my 2016 3011. I recently replaced four of the 3 LED version with the 9 LED Version. So now, all the lights over the sink and under the TV are new, These are slightly brighter so I may be looking for a dimmer to reduce the brightness. Not sure how I can have 4 of these all fail within a few months and Command did not seem to have an answer either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_101946.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	230665  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

Standard LEDs are not dimmable. If you try to dim them they flicker. Not sure who makes dimmable LEDs for RVs.
Taj-on-wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj-on-wheels View Post
Standard LEDs are not dimmable. If you try to dim them they flicker. Not sure who makes dimmable LEDs for RVs.
Not sure why you say that. Countless reports of people adding dimmers to their led rv lights. Me included.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #4

I did my whole Georgetown interior with LED lights. In 5 years I've replaced them twice. But at $14 for a box of ten it's not a big deal. I'm retired...I have time!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj-on-wheels View Post
In our 2020 Sunseeker, all lights are LEDs. I have installed dimmers on all the ceiling lights, and on the awning strip light, and a bathroom roof vent with integral LED lights. I also have a separate cargo trailer with 2 dimmers controlling 4 LED interior lights and two exterior lights. That totals about 18 LED lights on 7 dimmers, and NONE of these LED lights flicker when dimmed. Yes, there could be LED lights that aren’t dimmable, but to say “standard LEDs are not dimmable” is a broad general statement that does not necessarily apply.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Not sure why you say that. Countless reports of people adding dimmers to their led rv lights. Me included.

My bad I recently did an inspection on a condo where ac LEDs had the flicker issue. I mixed comments for ac LEDs with dc LEDs. You guys are right
Taj-on-wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #7

Not all dimmers are created equal just like many LEDs.

Many LEDs look for a specific voltage range. Outside that range they heat up and burn out components causing the led to "fail".

If your converter goes to bulk mode or your battery drops too low it my be outside of that range. Check the voltage ranges for your bulbs to see if you are sending them too much/little voltage. This will cause heat and eventually they will burn out. Some LEDs will simply not work at specific voltages and that is why the flicker as they build up enough to flash and then it's used up. The cheaper the bulb the less resiliency.

A regular dimmer may not be best for your LEDs either. PWM dimmers work great on LEDs even ones that don't dim. They work by pulsing the current fast enough that you dont see. The lower you dim the more they pulse creating a dimming effect. The downside to this is they will really mess with TV and radio recieving as they will start to match frequencies or harmonize with them causing interference or noise depending on the type of signal.

Hope that helps! Happy camping.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #8

I recently bypassed the OneControl light control with switches to control the three overhead zones. Now, where can I get dimming control switches. Everything I’ve seen so far is too big. I don’t want to add extra switches so need a switch that goes from completely off up to full power.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Not all dimmers are created equal just like many LEDs.

Many LEDs look for a specific voltage range. Outside that range they heat up and burn out components causing the led to "fail".

If your converter goes to bulk mode or your battery drops too low it my be outside of that range. Check the voltage ranges for your bulbs to see if you are sending them too much/little voltage. This will cause heat and eventually they will burn out. Some LEDs will simply not work at specific voltages and that is why the flicker as they build up enough to flash and then it's used up. The cheaper the bulb the less resiliency.

A regular dimmer may not be best for your LEDs either. PWM dimmers work great on LEDs even ones that don't dim. They work by pulsing the current fast enough that you dont see. The lower you dim the more they pulse creating a dimming effect. The downside to this is they will really mess with TV and radio recieving as they will start to match frequencies or harmonize with them causing interference or noise depending on the type of signal.

Hope that helps! Happy camping.
Dan, Yes I thinking its interesting the FR outfits RV's with LED's that are supposedly rated for 10-13V when it's well known the batteries will frequently operate at 13+ volts. I.e. the converter has a float voltage of 13.4 volts, and an absorption period of 14+volts. Also, my solar panels/batteries also go through a absorption period every day up to 14.4 Volts. So if you operate plugged in most of the time, which I do, the battery Voltage will be 13+ and that could contribute to an early failure.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #10

Does anybody have a recommendation for replacement ceiling light for a 2015 3010DS. Preferably the same light color whatever the OEM's are. A have some with broken switches and some flickering. Not very good quality OEM lights.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #11

Lights failing

I have a 2019 model of the Sunseeker 3010DSF and also have 2 or 3 blinking led ceiling lights. Very annoying. And the brightness is blinding if you are sitting down. I am ordering replacement light fixtures from Command, through etrailer.com, using the same 4.5" dia lights. I considered doing the paper liner solution, but the tech from etrailer said his contact at Command told him the lights are compatible with a dimmer and that they did not specify any particular dimmer. So, I googled said light and dimmer and RecPro came up. They specialize in RV stuff and have a simple single or double dimmer (one for each of the banks of lights in the RV) and it's just a tap to bring them up or down. Since they would be replacing the on/off switch, I'm assuming that they will be turned all the way down to turn them off. Not sure if that's compatible with currents and wiring, but most dimmers operate similarly. That is the best solution and reasonable expense for me that I'm going to pursue. The light fixtures run abt $12 but you get free shipping with a $100 purchase. I'm going to buy 9 (or less with some other item I take a fancy to). The dimmer from RecPro is $16 for a single or $23 for the double, also with free shipping and no min purchase.
ecubed945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #12

Led Lights

The Command led 4.5" fixture is #328-K-1050Q9. The RecPro dimmer is RP-4066 for either the single or double dimmer.
ecubed945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
Chief tinkerer

Just a comment. Looks like they just replaced the incandescent with LEDs with no thought for lumens. We installed the RV chandelier UNDER the trim ring for the kitchen vent in our SS3010. It pretty much stays on while driving after dark, does not flood the Coach with Bright Light and is my reminder light to shut off the battery switch when storing. It is great for soft light during dinner, etc. We will save the ceiling and under cabinet LED's for use if there is ever a need to turn the RV into a surgical center.
RV Chandelier LED Light Garnish Ring 12 volt Heng's classacustoms

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #14

led lights failing

If yours are the the command electric on a Forrest River the only match I found was for a fasteners unlimited listing in amazon. The ones shipped are command electric with the same part number. The problem is that they are not the same color of led, they are a little more yellow. Fasteners Unlimited 001-1050 Undercabinet Led Light 4" Dia
adamsdl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #15

FYI, I contacted Command Electronics in 2019 about the failing LED fixtures in my 2017 Forester. The person I spoke with said they had an issue with some and offered to send me some replacements at no charge.
I think I received 10.
They only sent the circuit board on which the LEDs are mounted. Disconnected the wires, snapped out the old board, snapped in the new board, reconnected the wires.
They did not send replacements for the pushbutton ones.
An interesting observation: I recorded a temperature of around 200°F with an infrared thermometer on one of the old ones so I'm betting failure is heat related. I haven't checked the new ones but probably not a good idea to go off and leave them on.[emoji33]
Old 02-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #16

In days of old
When dimmers were sold
They were resistive units only

In days of new
LEDs will dim too
But with PWM switches mostly
Old 02-21-2021, 05:33 AM   #17

Recently I have bought Kohree LED for my RV. I am impressed with these RV LED ceiling lights because of their brightness. They can replace the halogen lamps that originally came with the RV. Easy to install, minimal wiring required.
oliver305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light