Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

Lessons from recent trip

We're back in North Georgia after a week in the Florida Keys. We are missing the 70/80 degree temps already! Stayed at Bluewater Key RV Resort at mile marker 14.5. I must say it was the most enjoyable RV stay we have had. The resort and the staff were spectacular. We had a bay front facing lot (59) that included a large tiki hut well adorned with wet bar, table and chairs, big screen tv and 15 feet from water's edge and dock. The pad was all pavers and landscaped in lush tropical plants, I highly recommend the resort.

A few of items learned:
  1. Our right rear inside tire blew. Michelin tires have 13k miles, roadside assistance is well worth the money spent. Did damage to the wheel well, will have to have some repair work.
  2. First trip with a tow dolly, anyone want to buy one? I'm getting rid of it and going back flat tow.
  3. Found our new favorite overnight parking location, Cracker Barrel, very RV friendly!
Even though we have kept rv and tires covered when not in use, I believe I'm facing replacement soon. What are the best options for tire brands?
Ngeorgiacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’m envious of your trip.

Just wondering what vehicle you have for a toad, and why you went to a dolly, but apparently you can go back to flat towing.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Jeep Wrangler manual shift. I have Blue Ox tow bar but don't have the Wrangler set up, I will before next trip!
Ngeorgiacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #4

That's one of the more amazing RV sites I've seen lately. It had better be for > $200/night!
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Try tires-easy.com for a primer on RV tires and "options".

You're going to get a lot of advice on tires. I no longer have allegiance to a particular brand. My 3rd set of Class C tires are Coopers and I'd buy again - or seriously consider any other "step truck" tire.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #6

Check for recalls on your tires, we had a recall on are 2013
Len01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Try tires-easy.com for a primer on RV tires and "options".

You're going to get a lot of advice on tires. I no longer have allegiance to a particular brand. My 3rd set of Class C tires are Coopers and I'd buy again - or seriously consider any other "step truck" tire.
I had real good luck with Cooper HT3 and AT3's. I had the E rated 10 ply tires on 2 different f150's. I went with Michelin on my 2019 and immediately noticed that the ride was a little stiffer. They also did not grip as well as the AT3's on wet pavement. The Michelins were closer to the HT"s for traction..
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #8

Same model 2016 sunseeker

Ouch sorry u had issues
You asked about tires we have the original continental tires on our 2400 W MBS currently have 23,000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing fine

This year we did buy a tea PMS and very pleased as well as we toe with a blue ox flat tow a 2017 Honda fit
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #9

The young age and low mileage on your tires doesn’t explain the failure. Curious what pressure you were running on the rear tires when the one blew. Was it significantly colder weather where the tire blew vs when the tire pressure was last checked? How long before the failure was the pressure last checked? Any way to know if road debris damaged the tire before it blew?

I’m just wondering why it failed so I can avoid the same fate.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about your mishap but sounds like it turned out good so thats the upside. I have Michelins on my DP because they came with, as did my two lincoln which already had changed to continental. Once the MH is due Michelin won't be on my list. On the lincoln's I've always found them to wear out well before its time. Plus feel their hard and do not grip well. Same on my past two Class As. I'll probably look at continentals, toyos or hankook. I've always liked this 3 tires in the 50 plus years I've been driving.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #11

Tow Dolly?

What are you asking for the tow dolly?
I have a strange need/desire for one - not for camping purposes.
I have a 2020 Subaru Outback (towing capacity 3500) and a 1992 Mazda Miata (weighs about 2300), live 10 miles out in the country, and am the only driver in the household. When either vehicle needs service, I'd like to be able to tow the Miata with the Outback. Is this practical?
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - our 4th camper
It's not just a life - it's an adventure!
Attila the Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #12

What kind of tow dolly do you have? I have been looking for a tow dolly with surge brakes. I’m in North Alabama. For the right price I could come take yours off your hands.
Doofusal is offline   Reply With Quote