Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 49
leveling my RV

I have a Forester 2251LE. I bought the plastic block levelers, which are OK, but I was wondering, short of investing in the electric/hydraulic systems ($3-$5K) can I use any of the scissor type jacks? Most seem to be for stabilization, not leveling. I was thinking of using a pair on the rear, if possible. I do see that some are rated for up to 7500 lbs.

Thx Rich Guess
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
I have a Forester 2251LE. I bought the plastic block levelers, which are OK, but I was wondering, short of investing in the electric/hydraulic systems ($3-$5K) can I use any of the scissor type jacks? Most seem to be for stabilization, not leveling. I was thinking of using a pair on the rear, if possible. I do see that some are rated for up to 7500 lbs.

Thx Rich Guess
Don't use the "stabilization" jacks on the trailer to level. If your after a little more support I'd look into an aftermarket system. I've also seen people use those jacks that look like a regular automotive jack stand but with a T handle to raise up or down but they'd be big and bulky to carry around all the time.
__________________
2016 F250 Super cab long bed
2018 Rockwood 8327SS
Briyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,136
I level side to side with scrap wood under the tires. Unhook. Then level front to back with landing gear then put my stabilizers down. Free pieces of scrap wood I had laying around have never let me down. I felt no need to spend $ on fancy plastic leggos.
Kimber45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 21,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
Don't use the "stabilization" jacks on the trailer to level. If your after a little more support I'd look into an aftermarket system. I've also seen people use those jacks that look like a regular automotive jack stand but with a T handle to raise up or down but they'd be big and bulky to carry around all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I level side to side with scrap wood under the tires. Unhook. Then level front to back with landing gear then put my stabilizers down. Free pieces of scrap wood I had laying around have never let me down. I felt no need to spend $ on fancy plastic leggos.
Bear in mind that the Forester 2251LE is a class C motorhome.



(Though, I still don't think I'd use scissor jacks to lift for level.)
__________________
Officially a SOB with a 2022 Jayco Precept 36C
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're part-timing on long trips
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Shoulda' retired earlier
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southern Worcester County
Posts: 1,108
I have Big Foot hydraulic levelers on my Sunseeker and they are well worth the money.I also carry 4 camco ramps I have found them easier to use and cheaper than the legos.
__________________
Mary and Me 😷😷 Stay Safe
2015 2650s "Finally" SOLD
2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I haven't been everywhere but its on my list"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 3,656
Mr. Guess,
Even if you had a hydraulic leveling system you would still need the lego blocks to prevent a wheel(s) from becoming airborn. The scissor jacks, manual or electric, will most likely not do what you want them to do. They will however, add stability to the unit while it is up on blocks. You will also have to figure out how to mount them to the frame. Take a look at some of the sprinters that have such a setup on the rear.
__________________

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Bear in mind that the Forester 2251LE is a class C motorhome.



(Though, I still don't think I'd use scissor jacks to lift for level.)

I gotta quit doing that. I always just assume TT or 5th wheel. To one sided mind I guess.
Kimber45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: N. CA
Posts: 271
I would not use scissor jacks. Why? The frame has been extended, and I suspect you would not want to crawl under and put the jacks on the "main" part of the frame...

Scissor jacks on your unit would not be good in the areas you can reach without getting dirty.

Me? I use a leveling app to tell me how many blocks to put where. I adjust for personal preference (like the RF to be the low point). After the legos, I drop the stabilizers (aftermarket frame rail mounted), then slide out.

With the change to helwig anti roll bars, and FSD shocks, she is as stable as one can practically get without going to full frame (on the non extended part) support, taking up all travel (such as big foot).
__________________
2016 SS 2250 E450 (over 4k lbs CCC and 7500 tow)
Dragging a TJ, WK2, or a cargo trailer
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I gotta quit doing that. I always just assume TT or 5th wheel. To one sided mind I guess.
Same here lol
__________________
2016 F250 Super cab long bed
2018 Rockwood 8327SS
Briyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 49
Thanks to all. Pretty much what I got from the suppliers too. For now it'll be leggo/Camco blocks, 2 x 10's, etc., and then get a pair of the scissor jacks for stability. I had the Helwig anti sway bar on my Chinook, it was excellent. Haven't done any mods yet on the 2251 Chevy, it's so new.

Rich
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Member
 
Sewgratefulquilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 36
To Dp26-what leveling app are you using that tells you how many blocks to put where? Iím always playing the guessing game.
__________________
Sewgratefulquilts (Linda)
2017 Class C Forester 2371 Transit Series
Hubby, Craig, and Miniature Poodle, Beau
Sewgratefulquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
I have no experience with them, nor do I have a motorhome, but I've seen some class Cs in campgrounds using the Andersen levelers.

Though, to be fair, I haven't really paid that much attention to what the majority are using. More like when I've seen the Andersen in use, it happens to be on a Class C than specifically looking to see what Class Cs in general are using to level.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 21,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewgratefulquilts View Post
To Dp26-what leveling app are you using that tells you how many blocks to put where? Iím always playing the guessing game.


The LevelMate Pro does it. Tells you exactly how many inches to raise any given corner.
__________________
Officially a SOB with a 2022 Jayco Precept 36C
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're part-timing on long trips
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leveling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.